*Official* nVidia GTX 20xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Alias, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, this video from hardwareunboxed is very informative. Do forgive me if this has been posted already.

jaybee83, raz8020 and hmscott like this.
  2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone know what specific laptops models use the 90W RTX 2080MQ?
    I have yet to find one, all that I have seen use the lower clocked 80W GPU.
    Razer might but it’s a little too pricey for me, if anything I’ll just look at the full RTX 2080’s but I’m looking too get something thin and lite that has decently lowfan noise if possible.
    Thanks.

3. Coolguy74

Coolguy74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think Asus, but im not sure. Wait, this different watting is also for rtx 2070 and 2060?

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe Zephyrus s i think on last gen from benchmarks and ac Adapter it uses similar 230 watt, most probably 90watt tdp, and open bottom area cooling solution may make it runs quiter, Alienware pascal m15 I think use same high tdp, so they may use same tdp on their mobile Turing.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For future reference you can do a global search on NBR for the Youtube ID of a video before posting to make sure it's not already been posted in a thread previously - a few pages back, which is how I found your post :)

la7pwgaOoWU is this video's youtube ID, and putting it in to search and unchecking the thread focus limitation, showed me where it's already been shared.
    1) Don't repost the same video yourself in multiple threads, let others have a shot at making a post. If it's a popular subject many will want to share it in other discussions anyway, if not then noone is interested enough to justify multiple posts of the same content.

2) If no one posts the video in another thread you think would benefit from the content, after 24 hours or so - while it's still fresh and timely, post a link back to your original post so as to give a heads up to others elsewhere on NBR, but also don't post that post multiple places either.

3) Always do a search on the youtube ID, article title, or some keywords before posting an article / video so as to not double post in a thread someone has shared it already, maybe several pages back in the thread - you don't have to read back 20 pages, just do the search, although reading back is always good to catch up on what's already covered.

4) If you must post an article / video try to do it as a reply to someone else's similar thoughts already mentioned in that thread to increase interaction - but not posts weeks, months, or years back, except in odd cases that's called necro-posting, reviving dead threads that don't need to be revived. If it is a closure for a long ago thread, mention that as your motivation to avoid getting the thread locked for necro.

5) When posting video's it's nice to provide a suggested time within the video for people to focus in on - or start at - to help them find your reason for posting it quickly. Sometimes the whole video is your point, sometimes good to mention that too - "watch the whole video through to the end". If the video author provides an index, include it in your post in a spoiler that helps keep the post short.

There's more, but that's probably enough to get you going, with #3 being the reason I responded. :)

steberg, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  6. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Roger :) And upon double checking using the search, this video does not pop up on other posts at least in this thread. xD

But anyways, yeah.. the RTX line-up has been a roller coaster for me. The 10 series are really looking all the more appealing given it's tried and tested nature, but their power consumption and thermal output leaves a lot to be desired.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the Scar II GL504GW. 1080p. Full performance mode, plugged into power. It should be decimating your MQ.

For what it's worth, this YouTube channel is doing gameplay videos with the 17" 2070 Scar II (GL704GW), and was doing them with the 1070 Scar before the RTX release, so it's a good source for comparisons with the 2070 Scar II. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUzzoTvUYgPEALxV69UYLsA/videos

Oddly his 17" version, GL704GW, with the exact same specs is getting about 90-100 in gameplay on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, where I getting 60s. This is the only huge difference I've encountered between my system and his I believe. My fps in FM7 and FH4 are right around his results. Note there being next to no performance increase in FH4 from the 1070 to 2070. That's why I need to see some more game results from other models. Surely, this can't be the standard. Hopefully this is just an issue with the ASUS, but I remain skeptical until it's proven.

raz8020 likes this.
  8. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Make sure you're running the latest version of the game, Initially RTX desktop cards had awful performance when the game came out

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Series 20 GPU's are essentially denutted 10 series GPU's, and you can tune the 10 Series GPU's - reduce voltage, undervolt, and detune core / memory clock as well manually.

That's what we've been doing with 10 Series GPU's, undervolting, tuning the performance, tuning the fans, and limiting frame rates with RTSS to limit the rendering load to the refresh of the display.

You can do more with the 10 Series full (non-Max-Q) laptop GPU's, have high performance profiles for benchmarking and competitive gaming - at same or higher than desktop GPU performance, balanced performance profiles for everyday use, and lower power mode for emulating denutted Series 20 GPU's. :D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Flying Endeavor likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    xD I had a good chuckle at that one. *RTX cards crying internally*

It is most unfortunate that the AW M15 only comes with a maximum of a GTX1070 Max Q in it's highest GTX 10 Series configuration. Well, hopefully that would deliver good enough performance for me. My desktop could hopefully do all the heavy lifting that I would want, whilst my upcoming laptop would just be my mobile battle station. xD

hmscott likes this.