*Official* nVidia GTX 20xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Alias, Jan 26, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's like Nvidia wants to go down in flames, but seriously they just keep screwing up like this over and over.

At this point in time Nvidia is generating screw-up's at a highly accelerated rate - hardly any gaps of time in between - it's like a cascade of dominos of doom, failure after failure, with RTX right there kicking off the next bungling misstep.

Now, the 2nd RTX features game, Metro: Exodus, is right in the middle of a storm of "Epic" proportions - this one can't possibly be Nvidia's fault - yet again RTX is right there ready to take it in the shorts.

Nvidia got overly greedy - which is hard to believe Nvidia could jump the shark on greed, but they have - starting with short changing consumers on GPU performance generation to generation, overpricing GPU's causing same last gen performance to sell for the same or higher cost, playing off a bag of magic beans (RTX) like it's something special when it's just a scammy bunch of BS that's never going to deliver value for cost, being deceptive about sales of Crypto, BS'ing how many games are going to support RT / DLSS at launch or at all and then failing to deliver for 6 months and counting, and now laptop GPU's that under perform last gen GPU's of the same sku level in games at higher cost. Oh yeah, and gimping RTX performance in laptop Max-Q GPU's to the point that the 2080 Max-Q is as useless as a desktop 2060 in RT RT.

It's really scary just how far off the edge of the cliff Nvidia is hanging it, powering in to the next curve I'm not so sure they aren't going to end up on the rocks below.

Again, I'd seriously consider full GPU (not Max-Q) 10 series laptops while you can still find them, spend less, and hunker down till the next GPU releases from AMD / Nvidia on desktop / laptop.

Or, pony up the big bucks - embrace big chassis laptops - and find a full power 20 series laptop to get the best you can this generation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    By the way does anyone know if it is possible to use freesync from an rtx laptop?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I saw something about nvidia 'throwing in the towel' and enabling it. I would assume that applies to the RTX laptops.

@hmscott If it is a problem with their just not being enough power with iGPU active, would you think a higher power supply would do it? I might just stop at the Microcenter near work tomorrow with my 2070 and plug one of the 280w adapters from the bigass 2080 G703 they have on display and see what happens.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Years ago I'd say yes it's likely that might help, but in the last few years vendors have been locking down power to the level available from the included PSU, and a larger wattage PSU makes no difference - the laptop firmware won't allow the laptop to draw more power.

It's down to the tuning of the Max-Q parameters by Nvidia and the vendor, and given the slim design and low mass cooling elements involved it's likely that even if more power were drawn the results would be thermal throttling and less performance due to heat build up.

I'd research each brand / model of laptop you are interested in and pick the one with the closest to desktop gaming performance. It's the only way to be sure, and wait for owners results too as we've seen more balanced reports - including bad news like that FPS is lacking.

Please let us know how the power supply test goes. :)

5. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Definitely. I'll probably going there anyway to either verify more power works, or return it. Also, on a definitely unrelated note, it really does depend alot more on the specific model now. The MSI GE75 w/ 2070 gets just over 100 fps in BFV without ray tracing. This thing, 50-60.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    raz8020, Installed64 and seanwee like this.
  7. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It sure does. The variation in specs permitted by Nvidia generates a very large umbrella of performance under the same designation, even between Max Q GPUs:

raz8020, Joikansai and hmscott like this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes that’s the answer from my early suspection to Aero 15 early performance benchmarks that confused a lot users. I had conversation with 2070 user in Reddit he said actually out of box not as great as my 1070mq but it’s on balanced mode which is super downclocked, cpu tdp and i believe gpu as well. By using other default profile, gaming mode, which is known overclocking, it’s actually unlock all limitation, the question is how 8750H heat and performance, since that is only graphics result are shown. I saw this from that user.
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18254298
    Which is worse than my physical score on normal gaming mode.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27694824
    An this is default balanced (out of box) result.
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18231867
    Compared my balanced mode
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27694960
    So there’s still something hidden on Razer Blade and other maxq laptops, it may go higher or stay on that, users Setting tweak vs manufacturer downclock, Round 1 Fight!!:)

Coolguy74 and hmscott like this.
  9. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gigabyte is using a 80 watt variant while Razer is using a 90w.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Not-c...er-than-the-Gigabyte-Aero-15-X9.406211.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Graphics-Card.386281.0.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If anyone is curious,

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2070-Max-Q-Graphics-Card.386281.0.html

My Gs65 with 2080 Max-Q with 481.81 drivers

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 95FPS highest preset. Stock driver 417.49 was 92FPS
    Final fantasy 15 benchmark - 7400 score (74fps) on high quality preset. About the same performance as stock driver.

Based on the scores I got vs notebook check, my stock 2080 Max-Q with the latest drivers is ~50% faster than a 2070 Max-Q at the same settings.
    I think we’ll see improvements in performance over the next couple months as Nvidia optimizes drivers for the RTX GPUs.

I do agree that price to performance is pretty poor compared to last years 1000 series models. I do think though that final judgement should wait until Q2 this year when drivers have matured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk