*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. mongon

mongon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, let's focus on 1000 cards. Too many discussions on 900 cards, which have been addressed in the old thread.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, yes and no.

The "good" ones completely ignore the iGPU, and don't wire it up or power it up - thank goodness that can be done.

Those don't switch between iGPU and dGPU, because the laptop isn't even aware there is an iGPU on the CPU carrier.

So there is no impact from the onboard iGPU to the CPU thermals or available power.

The other "good" ones have a matrix switch to change the internal display connection between the dGPU and the iGPU - like when you want to reboot to run on battery - switching requires a reboot BTW.

AFAIK, once the iGPU is switched out, and the dGPU is running, the iGPU isn't powered on and doesn't impact the CPU.

But, I still prefer the completely disabled iGPU - dGPU only model - it's why I buy a high-end GPU laptop. I don't buy it to run on battery. :D

TomJGX, Solo wing and hfm like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the other hand, it's a huge boon for battery life if the dGPU is sleeping, or in some cases, if you don't need a dGPU at all. The problem is there's no way Intel is going to create two classes of CPU's, one with an iGPU and one without. The number of PC's sold that only use an iGPU is BY FAR more volume. The cost wouldn't be worth it.

You can be assured that if you buy a laptop that can use G-Sync, you are buying one that doesn't use the iGPU. That's pretty much a sure fire way to do that if you want.

TomJGX, Prototime and hmscott like this.
  4. wojtask12

wojtask12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, sure. But it's good to know i can switch to iGPU in case i need longer battery life sometime.

TomJGX and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    I hear you, I've used my GT80 on iGPU, and it's been useful - once :)

But, I could have used my tablet or phone to do the same work mobile. I wanted to test the GT80 on battery.

If you need a Windows device that has long battery life, don't get a gaming laptop alone, get a 2in1 or other long battery life focused device, and use both.

Leave the gaming laptop for gaming while plugged in and mobile.

If you must have battery life on your high-end gaming laptop, get one that switches instead of Optimus.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know anyone that really moves around with a 15in laptop. Except myself.. I will move it to my lap from the desk and game on my couch. Or take it to my bedroom for Netflix. Laptops that can game better than igpus are epic. I beat like 4 levels of crisis 3 on my lap at max settings mind you ultra and fxaa..

Ionising_Radiation and hmscott like this.
  7. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So basically, if I get a laptop with G-Sync, I don't have to worry about Optimus?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. vesayreve

vesayreve Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Battery life is important for me since i will take it to the college. I will probably buy an MSI GE62 Apache Pro laptop. I was glad it had optimus so I can squeeze a bit more battery life from it. Now I am kinda worried. But I think it all just comes down to what you need. I need the better battery life.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Some say that, but I would double check, especially with a new generation, it's too early to know everything about the new hardware, we are learning new stuff every day. :)

Intel / Nvidia keep changing the rules, so at some point G-sync might work through Optimus, and I'd hate to tell you outdated info and have you end up with an Optimus laptop.

All the MSI laptops below the GT73 have lost a lot of functionality, moving from the CM236 chipset to the HM170, dropping down to only 1 M.2 and 1 2.5" storage slots, including losing the MUX switch in the GT72, so AFAIK all the MSI laptops below the GT73 are now Optimus, or dGPU only.

The reason I mention this is that all those new MSI's have a VR following the model number, and advertise VR support.

AFAIK VR still doesn't like/support Optimus, but that could have changed in this new generation too.

If it was me I would check it out in person if I could find one locally, wait for a review that gives the users POV details, or find someone here in the forums with one and reporting in one of the threads, and if they haven't answered the Optimus question yet, ask them.

You can't always trust the product pages, as at MSI / Asus they apply to several models, with different GPU's and other configurations.

Confirm through an independent source. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Georgel and temp00876 like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's all relative to ones needs. If it had a MUX switch instead of Optimus, you could just reboot into iGPU mode and run on battery cleanly without Optimus getting in the way.

Check out other makes, like Clevo, Asus GL502VM/VS.

I hope you have a good experience with whatever you end up getting :)

TomJGX and Georgel like this.