*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On most situations, there will be no bottleneck (gaming). Only in specific games and/or high fps.

The ones that are that "needy" (professional gaming, specific game, etc...) will know they need moar cpu powwwwer.

2. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I watched a great YouTube video of i5 750 and 1080 gtx running Witcher 3 doom and GTA 5 at 1080p the frame rates were bottlenecked but still above 120 and no bottleneck at 1440p and 4k. 980ti and the 6700k won slightly in all 1080p tests but lost in everything else.. this is a freaking i5 750... Tell me again a 6700k is the bottleneck

temp00876 likes this.
  3. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If someone wants to get a 1070/1080 and not risk bottlenecking, get a P775DM3, it has a desktop CPU.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Papusan and sirana like this.
  4. ryanev84

Reputations:
    I'm a really nice guy.. I'd say save your money

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:

That's the hardest part to understand. Which you will never know till you own it. Results are very random vs 1080p vs higher resolutions. Vs lower and nighter settings depending on gpu and cpu.
    I've seen gpu get close frames to better gpus on Say high settings. And only makes a major difference when it comes down to the screen resolution. And then that's when the cpu might come into play too.
    But that still only matters if you want to play on 1080p vs 1440p and higher.
    At the end of the day of you got the cash spare. Do it. If theorise difference wasn't much. I'd do it. The only main thing about it to me is that it sound better when you describe your rigs hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ryanev84

Reputations:
    Yea the video surprised me a i5 750 is quite old

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @HardCore88
    Thermal throttling happens very quickly, the CPU dips for less than a second, then recovers - the dip/recovery is quick, you wouldn't notice it.

If you are running hot, get better ventilation, prop up the back of the laptop to get better air flow under the laptop for the intakes.

Get a nice cooler stand to push air up into the laptop - most laptops with bottom intake vents get some help from this, but some don't.

Undervolt your CPU, this is the #2 way to get things cooler. #3 is to disable High Performance and run Balanced - this lets the CPU downclock in between loads - and lets the CPU cool off in between loads.

The #1 way to keep things cool is to use an FPS limiter and set it refresh rate+1, like 61 FPS @ 60hz, or 101 FPS @ 100hz screen refresh. I use Rivatuner which comes with MSI Afterburner, or you can download it separately.

You aren't going to get benefit from FPS over refresh, so why make the laptop work hard to do 100% performance all the time if it's not needed.

Always get the best CPU available, then learn how to use / tune it for best performance.

The 6820HK is actually clocked 100 mhz higher at base settings than the 6700HQ:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/88967,88969

And, the 6820HK can OC to run at 4.0ghz stable all day long. You may need to run the fans higher :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On the topic of CPU bottlenecks. The laptop I have previously was a GE62 with i5 6300hq and 970m. The i5 in many cases 100% a bottleneck for the 970m. This was especially noticed in games where the CPU was heavily utilized like BF4 and Battlefront. This was one of my reasons for selling the laptop as the 970m couldn't be fully utilized and it got worse utilization as I overclocked the 970m. This bottleneck could be somewhat alleviated by running games at higher settings and/or using higher render resolutions in games that supported it.

Even with this 6700HQ and 1060 I currently have I am noticing that the CPU usage can be quite high and I am worried about CPU bottlenecks even with this chip in games like BF1.

I might order a Clevo/Sager laptop with 1070 and 6820HK

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Asus and MSI, and others, also offer the 6820HK :)

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Precisely why I'm skipping Pascal Paxwell. As I said several posts ago: Ivy Bridge, Broadwell and Cannonlake are to Sandy Bridge, Haswell and Skylake respectively, what Pascal is to Maxwell. They're just die shrinks of the same architecture.

Volta is the real deal. I honestly raise my eyebrows at anyone jumping on the Pascal bandwagon.

TomJGX, i_pk_pjers_i, hmscott and 2 others like this.