*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. HardCore88

HardCore88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course I plan to oc it if I need to .. It's not that I buy it having in mind to overclock ... but if I realize that I lack cpu power I would oc.

this is the very question that is tormenting me ...
    If I oc the 6820hk to, say, 4.0ghz will it stay cool inside a clevo p650rs-g?
    because if not then it makes no sense buying it ..
    moreover, do you think that if I oc, 200w power supply is required or can I do without it (180w)?

2. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just buy the damn 6820HK already. You obviously want someone to convince you to get it. Just do it! :D

It's not like things will get worse with something better. Should also make it worth more at resale.

HardCore88 likes this.
  3. HardCore88

HardCore88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ahaha no no it's not like that :D:D!! .. you're right too many question but you know .. when the time comes for me to buy something it's always the same: a thousand doubts .. I'm trying to understand if I can oc it no problem. As I said before i don't like to give money away without a valid reason :)

4. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you need that CPU for. It obviously will be useless to improve frame rates

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The 1080 can be bottlenecked by even an overclocked mobile CPU, it's already been proven on the desktop side with CPUs running 4.5Ghz.

The 1070 can even see bottling at 1080p, if you're trying to push max fps on a 120Hz screen. On a 60Hz screen you're unlikely to notice, as the 1070 will be pushing a solid 60fps anyway.

Only reason to not get a 6820HK is if you can't afford one.

DukeCLR, hmscott and ValkerieFire like this.
  6. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the 6700hq is good enough for the 1070... I have a feeling that the CPU will be throttled unless you have a nice cooler it sits on. even then performance will be negligible in gaming and the only reason to get the 6820hK is overclocking, which I think you will see more of a difference in overclocking the gpu than you will the CPU in 99% of the games out there.

hmscott likes this.
  7. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My perspective is a bit different.
    If a laptop is presented to me with said *overclockable* hardware, i'd rather not touch it, because it'll simply put my unit into a risk of overheating or throttling because of massive temps. I'd rather get a CPU/GPU bottleneck than thermal throttling because of a risky overclock.

8. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A clear downside to thermal throttling is that it is not very predictable and/or consistent. Once throttling starts there's no telling what speed exactly your CPU then chooses to run at and you lose control over the performance of your machine. It would drive me nuts if the machine throttles for 3 mins, goes back to full speed for 1 then throttles again..:mad:

Having said that, you may be confident about your thermal/power headroom under certain circumstances. Poorly heated home in the winter or laptop sitting at the outlet of your AC unit.. At times like these the lack of OC control would be regrettable.

9. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    The discussion is centered around laptops which don't have issues with temperatures.

It's 2016. The days of overclocking presenting any sort of danger have long passed.

10. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Kevin proof.. where's the article on a 1080 being bottleneck ed

Georgel likes this.