*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    DDU I have used. I'll get a desktop soon.

EDIT: I think my OC was screwing me over so i am gonna trial it without an OC.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. DM g

DM g Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you check your memory frequency too? I had a similar issues with 980M. Sometimes overvolting helps. I have M.2 EGPU adaptor and I will use it for games when I get rtx 2060 or navi.

3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    OK even at stock GPU clocks whenever it peaks into 99% it down clocks for no reason. not sure if it's a power issue or what.

The only way I can workaround it is to cap the fps to half the screen refresh rate - ie. 72fps in order to prevent the GPU load from peaking at 99%. Definitely will be eyeing a desktop instead.

72fps is still playable in my view.

hmscott likes this.
  4. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you guys think a full gtx 1080 in the Aorus X7 DT v8 is still worth getting with a $300-500 discount?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I have no idea what the Nahimic Service does but it seems to have been the cause of my GPU load bug that I was having. I can't seem to uninstall the damn service so I've had it disabled for a few days now and it seems to be working.

Robbo99999 and jaybee83 like this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's some kind of service related to sound, but exactly what it does I do not know. Maybe by updating your sound drivers to the latest version might remove the bug.

7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I'm using a USB sound card because the onboard sound has some weird issues. so i disabled the realtek sound and the nahimic service and it's seems to be all good. i might do a reformat to see if the Nahimic service is auto installed by default or it's something i have to install. if it's auto installed then i'll have to disable the service, but if it's something i can install then i just won't install it.

simple... i think.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you're using a seperate USB sound card (I do the same), then you don't need motherboard sound like Nahimic installed, so I think you're good to go.

9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    The weird audio issues i have is that sometimes the audio sounds tinny when headphones are plugged in, but then i tried different headphones and they were fine so i think it's my headphones screwing up there. But in either case I still don't want the nahimic service anyway.

So looks like I am gonna need to replace my headphones...probably.

EDIT: so...

onboard sound + nahimic service = ok
    USB sound card - nahimic service = ok

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    @Robbo99999 I think I am going to blame the Razer Kraken headset that I had because it was having some weird issue where if I plugged it in it would sometimes sound tinny. This them made me think that it was a hardware or a driver issue that caused me to get the USB sound card and probably caused the conflict between the USB sound card and the Nahimic service to cause the GPU load issue.

So I tried some other headphones and they all worked fine so I bought a pair of steelseries arctis 3s and they too work fine so... shrug.

but I am still keeping the nahimic service disabled.

EDIT: nope, the onboard audio jack is still doing the tinny audio BS!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019