*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To me it's almost impossible to game on a plane nowadays with the short seat pitches, even doing a bit of productivity work can be a pain with anything but the smallest laptop. Outside of flying I've no use whatsoever for battery. So... I carry two lappies, a Surface pro 4 for reasonable bat and size on a plane and a big dog sans Optiimus for use when I get there. When going overseas I carry a hefty power brick which can charge my SP4 once and the phone several times. Just say no to Optimus and pesky battery issues! :)

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My word this issue has been blown way out of proportion. The OP in the linked thread wants to boycott all M$ products LoL.

On a 1 to 10 scale of annoyance, it is like a 1.5. I think OCD is driving people mad "because they know its there." It would be super nice if they fixed this... but lets be honest, it is by far not the biggest problem with Win 10.

Would it be better if laptops had a MUX switch? YES, but they won't... that is an advanced feature. The average user wouldn't know how to, or what it does.

But really, how many times do you click on battery icon (instead of just hover over) to see life. Or need to adjust resolution through IGPU interface? Even if it is twice a day for some odd reason, thats like 2 seconds...

ssj92 and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since the 2nd day I had it I figured out my P170EM would microhang whenever a monitoring utility polled the GPU (680M) for sensor data if it was asleep. The solution was just to stop the monitors from monitoring the GPU.

Geez, sounds like I missed my chance to start a class action and sue M$ and Ngreedia for a million dollars... No, wait,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I mean, come on. There are legit concerns/complaints about Optimus. And then there is OCD.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Asus Zenbook Pro UX550VE (i7-7700HQ - GTX 1050 Ti) Laptop review

TRiPOD Cpu heatsink. 4 screws for the whole package.
    [​IMG]

processor
    The Intel Core i7-7700HQ has a base clock of 2.8 GHz and can reach a maximum turbo frequency of 3.8 GHz. We've tested this processor quite a few times as it's a hugely popular choice for powerful multimedia or gaming laptops.

Interestingly, the results in the benchmarks even fall slightly behind our previous review sample. However, the differences are not questionable under a short load. 153 points in the single test of the Cinebench R15 are below average and ~ 6% behind the ZenBook Pro UX550VD

More important, however, is how the processor beats under sustained stress. The UX550VE works around 5% slower in the long term: The UX550VD averages 739 points, which we see in our more expensive model only in the first run. After that, the value falls within the range between 699 - 709 points. The waste here is not dramatic at 5%, but the difference is there. However, the overall situation looks much more relaxed than, for example, the passively cooled Surface Book 2 , where the performance fell by a whopping 23% after a few rounds.
    upload_2017-12-6_21-59-47.png
    [​IMG]
    It seem the Power is crippled in a way or another With firmware, as Cpu Package Power barely is above 14W from the 45W TDP BGA chips. Nice!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, well that's how frustrating it can be to people with Optimus problems, in the scale of preventing them from doing their work to just really annoying, it's all not what they thought they were buying, and it can result it this feeling expressed in BOLD CAPS level exasperation:

"Update 5

IT HAS BEEN NEARLY A YEAR THAT WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM

AND MICROSOFT DID NOT MAKE ANY OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING A FIX.

MSI SAYS MICROSOFT IS TO BLAME! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

IF YOUR ENGINEERS CAN'T FIX A SINGLE PROBLEM THEN LEAVE THE BUSINESS.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO RETURN THEIR LAPTOP AND GET A MACBOOK!

CONSUMER REPORTS REMOVED SURFACE FROM RECOMMENDED DEVICES!

NOW I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THEM!

RETURN YOUR LAPTOP IN 2018 AND GET A MACBOOK!"

Now it looks like Intel is taking on fixing the bug :)

"Update 6 - Intel Confirmed the Bug

Intel has confirmed the bug and they are working on it. Here is their statement on the issue:

Hello Everyone,

The update I can provide at this point is that our debug team has been able to reproduce this issue, and they are currently investigating what is the root cause.

I would also like to apologize for the late reply. Our resources were focused on some critical issues (e.g. BSOD, crashes), and had to put this on a lower priority for a while. However, we acknowledge that this is extremely important as well, thus the priority of this bug report has been raised, so I'm hoping news come out faster from now on.

Thank you for your patience, and as soon as I have more information I'll share it here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M."

I've helped a lot of people figure out the Optimus problems over many years, and once you realize the limitations and mis-features, not to mention applications that won't switch from iGPU to dGPU (like the Windows OS!!), you begin to get a sinking feeling of despair over Optimus.

And, don't doubt it can't happen to you, some use pattern will change, a new application you need to work that doesn't, or Windows update that messes up iGPU or dGPU in a way others without Optimus aren't experiencing, it's all happened at one point or another, and will continue to happen.

Don't get in the way of Optimus, it'll mow you down!! :D

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, 15W PL0 and 1.5/1.6ghz is a new low, along with lowered thermal limits (cores tripping thermal throttling when only 89C/93C max showing??)

Its like they have deliberately added self monitoring algorithms that detect the stress test scenario and change how the equipment performs to provide a more favourable result... Hmmmm... I think I saw something similar in the news recently..........

raz8020 likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
  9. Saveikis

Saveikis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL Why do you need a MAX-Q 1050 ti? it barely makes any heat on the load compared to other gpu's.. This is just getting retarded

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Nvidia's answer to Kaby Lake-G or shall we say AMD:D Aka try to push all the OEM's to opt for Intel BGA H Mobile instead + Nvidia graphics:p Welcome to the sick sick world.