*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    theres no such thing as a 1090 that I have heard of, if your speaking about a 1080 or 1080 ti then yes they currently have them for laptops, but the performance vs their desktop counterparts is lacking to say the least if your looking to do an upgrade if you have an alienware I would advise the AGA if not I would advise getting a thunderbolt c external graphics amp and a decent monitor

2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    No, there will be no new laptop GPU’s until next gen, which is supposed to be released late in the Fall of 2018.

Prototime and ssj92 like this.
  3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    There is no 1080 Ti for laptops, nor will there ever be. Those are for desktops only.

The performance difference between the laptop and desktop nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 is minimal...check your facts at https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Laptop.171212.0.html. The desktop version is only one tick above the laptop version for Class 1 cards.

eGPUs of any brand truly gimp whatever card you put in them...they are a poor solution...it is far better to upgrade your internal card if possible.

bennyg likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's an already established version, much longer history, +296+ replies, and it covers a wider range of symptoms:

Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e

"There is a problem with laptops which use mobile GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070. When we perform right click, click on battery icon or try to open display settings, system hangs for a second.

This video describes the problem perfectly:

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.
    • Intel driver
    • NVIDIA driver
    • Chipset driver
    • BIOS
    • Firmware
    The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.

The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?

There is a also a workaround: configuring a software to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no point in that as it renders Optimus useless!

So, Microsoft has to come up with a fix."

This is just another example of many years and thousands of people with Optimus related problems, it's a nightmare for those affected, and a lurking problem for those that haven't noticed or been directly affected by their use pattern, yet.

Don't buy Optimus laptops!! Get dGPU only, or MUX switchable laptops that can completely remove the iGPU from the path except for battery use.

Optimus was good in theory, and when it was first introduced I had the same optimistic view, until it was a problem for me too.

Fortunately back then most / all iGPU had a MUX and a BIOS setting to turn it off.

Now most Optimus laptops are full time non-switchable with the display directly connected to the iGPU 100% of the time, except on the highest end gaming laptops that still have MUX switches.

I doubt Windows 10 will every correctly support iGPU / dGPU as documented by all of these owners in this and other complaint threads.

Do yourself a favor and either get a full time iGPU only laptop (no dGPU), or a full time dGPU laptop. :)

5. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I came with a better workaround but microstutters are still around (rarely):

1- When plugged in I just open the Nvidia Control Panel and keep the 3D Image Preview on. It forces the dGPU to stay on all the time! In this mode I have absolutely no stutters no matter what or where I click. You could say it feels the same as a G-Sync laptop. :D

2- When not plugged in and need battery life, I do the exact opposite. Set every possible power saving mode and change both 3D and Physx modes to iGPU, and keep the Physx window opened with CPU displayed. Put laptop into sleep mode and turn it on, iGPU mode on! Clicking on the battery icon is the only instance causing the freezes so I avoid it. Also 6.5 hours of battery life with this mode on my GE63VR. :)

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

raz8020 and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Wouldn't it just be easier to carry a laptop dedicated to battery use that doesn't have a dGPU - even better battery life?

Most (all?) dGPU models currently out won't perform on battery at all anyway, so why tote around that heavier dGPU laptop that won't get as good of battery as a full iGPU only laptop, and has problems with lag and stuttering when on AC power?

Carry 2 laptops, or just one, and leave the dGPU laptop - without stutters and lag - at home for moving around the house, and for longer trips where you can plug it in all the time.

IDK, as soon as I got rid of Optimus in my laptops I was much happier. :)

The GT80 with MUX didn't have great battery life on iGPU only mode, it "doubled" battery time, but it only went to 2:45 from 1:15, neither are really useful battery runtimes.

7. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    In my case it is a 2.4kg laptop capable of doing both tasks at once and I couldn't be happier :D I can game at home and spend an entire day at school/work without needing the huge power brick.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    And if it wasn't for those darned glitches with Optimus, it would be perfect. ;)
    a83740cd812a9f4428489080a536b375.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    raz8020 likes this.
  9. Crongs

Crongs Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep, i agree with you. Optimus is still not perfect.

hmscott likes this.
  10. SkidrowSKT

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree with that. Having to keep switching between iGPU and dGPU every now and then is a dreadful task. :(
    But again, is there a better way to get the best out of both worlds in a single package? Not that I know of. For now I'm very satisfied with this thing, although imperfect in the sense of Optimus.

hmscott likes this.