*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Early 8600Ms weren't affected. The 8600M GT in our Vostro 1500 still works today.
    /offtopic

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just adding my personal experience into the mix, helps temper your claim that almost all died after 2 yrs, which seemed like an exaggeration. Bennyg's 8600M is still working too. EDIT: I know it was a significant problem & was aware that NVidia admitted that there was an issue, I'm not disputing that, and you can see in my original post that I said a "significant number" did die. Just adding some perspective.

Donald@HIDevolution and aaronne like this.
  3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    As much as I dislike Razer, they just popped in their IPO at a valued $528M USD so they're doing something right.

I think this whole socketed vs BGA argument is moot. There is a market for both. And you can own both, they're not exclusive. It's like Xbox vs PlayStation.

What I don't understand is the complete lockdown of overclocking, undervolting, etc that they do with BGA systems. There's no reason for it.

Donald@HIDevolution and hfm like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Main target for BGA... Thinner notebooks. Intel talk nice about even thinner notebooks now with 8th gen mobile CPUs in their announcement. Today’s 1 inch thick laptops is all too thick (bigger, better cooling for increased power consumption due overclocking ain’t in the cards). Can’t have both.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    If you're going to go thick, go socketed. If you want thinner and lighter, well, physics dictates BGA unfortunately. I don't want a 12 lbs laptop to lug around daily, but I'll take 5 lbs and 1 inch over 3 lbs and 0.5 inch if it means good thermals and user control. Problem is they don't make such beasts in the sub 15" market.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not to mention isn't this a "gaming" notebook? Most games aren't going to stress the cpu like Cinebench. The GPU is much more important than the CPU in this model.

I would imagine a slight undervolt with a repaste would be fine if you just want to play games.

hmscott and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  7. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I had a good option I would have gone socketed, but my first priority was "silence" and the socketed options are all small jetplanes.
    My bga Asus is really quiet with a i7@3.9ghz. The equivalent socketed clevo is a vacuum cleaner with 15-20% extra cpu performance. For me it was a no brainer.

Enviado do meu MHA-L29 através de Tapatalk

hmscott and HTWingNut like this.
  8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Right. That is the biggest issue. Not necessarily socket vs BGA, it's any number of factors users want, and many don't give a damn if it has a socket or not. A 1 inch thick laptop with socketed CPU and GPU with good thermals and low fan noise would be an engineering marvel, well within our current technical limits, but nobody has seemed to make such a beast.

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  9. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly. The socketed options use really loud low quality fans to achieve ok temperatures on oc cpus.
    If you are not a hard-core fps junkie, truth is that the extra 20% cpu performance you get don't really give that big advantages.

Maybe clevo finally give us a socketed beast with the next generation of cpus AND quality fans to cope. One can only hope for such a thing. In the meantime, my bga laptop is just fine.

Enviado do meu MHA-L29 através de Tapatalk

hmscott and Prototime like this.
  10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The point of the socket system these days goes with that last 10-20% of performance. And the relative freedom to be able to test and fix DIY if you break stuff.

Also, an overbuilt cooling system like ypu see in the P870, when downclocked WILL be quieter and more efficient *at the same load*.

The thing with enthusiasts... In the same way nature abhors a vacuum... If temp and power headroom is there it will be used. This last bit of performance has diminishing returns; each extra 100mhz costs exponentially more watts and volts which makes the unit louder at full capacity.

Are the fans truly crappy, or are they just being run harder longer more often than most other laptops? I find MSI's marketing about cooling more puff than substance. Its easier to keep a unit quiet when you're throttling it down under sustained load...