*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There have been a few reviews, here's a newer run through by the project manager:

ASUS ROG Chimera G703 gaming notebook

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If this is a GPU thread, why does the title seem to imply that it is for all discussion of notebooks with 10XX GPUs?

Papusan likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Yeah, it’s finally confirmed... Incredible bad sales numbers for Razer’s Top Dog. Wonder what the numbers will be for 2017 with fully numbers for current models.
    Razer sold fewer than 1000 Blade Pro systems in all of 2016

“Outside of the low Blade Pro sales, it's also worth noting that a good chunk of Razer's expenses has been funneling towards returns and warranties. According to the same report, the manufacturer spent 15 million USD in 2016 for warranty fulfillment to represent 4.8 percent of its revenue for that year.”

How many bad units is still on the desk home to users who either don’t bother with RMA or doesn’t know If their Razerbook’s performing as normal. Only God know.

@Mobius 1 you have experience with Razer’s notebooks. Info for you.

long2905 and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Doesn't make is good or right though. Just like millions of people do bad, immoral or stupid things every day, for years... habitually. Frequency never validates stupidity even when it is popular. But, as they say, ignorance is bliss.

5. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with you here @Mr.Fox, this path of going slim and BGA is not the good path at all they say "Millions of people use BGA devices successfully for the entire time they own them, and the entire time the 2nd and 3rd owners own them." Have they forgotten the days of HP and Macs with the BGA issues.

BGA One component dies its a complete main board (Logic Board if we start swearing the word Mac) replacement.
    Socketed/ MXM if one or the other dies its just a simple swap, more often or not a GPU will fail more then a CPU, so why make more work and systems that are less up-gradable, in the long run its more work for the repair techs when it concerns BGA.

Sorry for the OT but Fox has a valid valid point.

6. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the only and the bigger one issue that I remeber was on Nvidia BGA and LGA gt/gs8400/8600 gpu series, almost all died within 2 years of use an every boards mounted, no manufacturer were safe, from Dell's XPS lines to Acer Gseries they were all affected.
    Someone remember me other big failure rate (apart any mxm AMD gpus) on bga system? Or do you want your pos last forever (I mean, after 5/6 years is good to go:oops:)

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    I never discussed sales with razer, but thanks for the heads up.

If you don't consider the BGA nature, it's because Razer has a bad rep for really bad QC on top of the very high price. Other manufacturers with better warranty and discounts exist at a much lower price entry point.

The blade 14/stealth is probably their main sales figure atm. But god wonders why people still buy a razer branded device.

Giving credit where it's due on this incident, iirc Apple had the best extended warranty program on failures.

8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    As you can see... The heads up was more than sales numbers.

“Outside of the low Blade Pro sales, it's also worth noting that a good chunk of Razer's expenses has been funneling towards returns and warranties. According to the same report, the manufacturer spent 15 million USD in 2016 for warranty fulfillment to represent 4.8 percent of its revenue for that year.”

Razer has taken in account that they needed charging high prices due the massive return and warranty fulfillment. Because the sales numbers as you can see can’t make it a big business.

Btw. I wonder what the Alienware TRIPOD HS mess will cost Dell. Must be a huge numbers cash they must throw out. Both for 2016 and 2017. Damn pity we never will know the numbers due how Dell run it’s business.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    (My 8600M GT in my Dell M1530 was overclocked by 50%, and I used it for nearly 5 years everyday - a significant portion of the 8600M's did die though, but it was due to constant thermal cycling, maybe I was lucky and in addition the fan profile didn't result in constant thermal cycling in my particular laptop).

10. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, only luck on your side, I got 2 xps m1530 ( 8400m hd lcd and 8600m gt FHD lcd) because I worked for EDS and Dell RMA it about an year later, meantime Dell pushed out a bios update to up fans RPM and starting point.

At home I was playing on 5920g (acer) and it suffered the same thing but having a mxm slot helped him to live longer (today there are still 5920g with upgraded AMD mxm on it)

We're talkin about massive failure (admitted by OEM and Nvidia) and you reply with your only system?

Thanks for pointing me out in this way but I dont get you..