*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, the 230w barely covers an OC'd 1070, and some buy a 330w to reduce the load on the PSU for longer life.

The MSI 16L13 with LGA "K" CPU can hit even higher power draw, and same goes for migrating from a 230w to 330w there too.

None of the 1080's with under 330w PSU's can sustain full performance even stock, definitely not with useful OC.

Max-Q is a codification of that strangled power limitation method of detuning via power limit's.

Razer started this trend (BAD RAZER!!), and too many are copying that low power trend. They are all competing with each other for the least sucky underpowered detuned 1080 laptop :D

DukeCLR likes this.
  2. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I posted a question on EVGA. https://forums.evga.com/Introducing-the-EVGA-SC17-1080-GSYNC-Gaming-Laptop-m2704625.aspx

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Cool, let's see if they answer :)

I checked their SC 17 1080 product page, and I couldn't find a PSU reference, and the manual doesn't list it either, only the Guru3d article has the quote:
    https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=768-55-2633-T1
    https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/758-21-2633.pdf
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-launches-evga-sc17-1080-g-sync-gaming-laptop.html

"Breaking away from the conventional brick form factor, a unique in house EVGA designed power supply delivers up to 240 watts of power when needed, without sacrificing function and aesthetics."

Are we sure EVGA didn't bump it up to 330w for this model? Where did that quote come from that lists 240w?

DukeCLR likes this.
  4. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They could have a stronger PSU but then the question is will it cool properly. I also didn't see any GPU speeds listed but I have only had time to scan the information.

hmscott likes this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The reference to "aesthetics" of a power supply says to me they chose a lower capacity PSU to save on size and weight.

Is that what "overclockers" told EVGA they wanted in an "overclocking" laptop? Saving a couple hundred grams on a powerbrick is more important than having it power throttle like a b*tch when you actually want to overclock it?

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's been said before as the excuse for providing an underpowered PSU with a laptop that's going to be starved for power and underperform due to the power limits.

Vendors claim people don't want a heavy power supply to carry around. I've seen clueless comments from would be buyers confirming this - "gee I wish the power supply was smaller, why can't they make them smaller, those big power supplies are so heavy".

Eat your Wheaties and get tough should be how the vendors respond. Don't starve the performance of the laptop, instead feed and strengthen the buyers so they can get strong enough to handle the weight of power. ;)

This lack of power couples nicely with the "thin" laptop syndrome buyers, throttling the performance of the laptop from all sides, thermal cooling is reduced so why supply more power - it can't handle cooling more power.

"But we want thin laptops and smaller power supplies because we are too weak to carry them" - Millennial's, apparently.

Eat your Wheaties Like the Big Boys, and get tough!! :D

"That sounds great, but are Wheaties Gluten Free?" - Millennial's, most likely :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Maybe the EVGA laptop has a 1080 Max-Q card, that's why they can use a 240w PSU. :p

DukeCLR, Papusan, Prema and 1 other person like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    I didn't see them mention Max-Q specifically, but Razer's similar power starvation method predates Max-Q.

Max-Q also requires a quiet mode limit of 39dba, maybe they couldn't match that requirement?

Wow, to fail at meeting Max-Q lameage, is that worse, or better? ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    DukeCLR, Papusan and Prema like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Razer use 250w psu with 1080 if I remember correctly. And EVGA lower the standard further with use of 240w psu for laptops with same 1080. What's worse? And EVGA is known for decent hardware.

bennyg, DukeCLR and hmscott like this.
  10. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wonder if it is MAX Q but they don't want to admit it, lol.

Still no replies to my pose at EVGA.

hmscott likes this.