*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    my laptop draws a total of about 170W when using a cryengine game so I have at least 160W of play. I could push the 1070 to 170W for a total of about 220W.

2. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    looks like @Coolane updated his tweaking tool.

3. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where is the thread for undervolting Pascal?

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Programmer received: ready to flash!

6. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, how would I be able to undervolt my gtx1070? Is there a topic or a guide somewhere? Is it with MSI afterburner?

7. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not sure about undervolting, but if you're looking for better temperatures and max performance I reckon you could do the following I've just thought of when I read your post:
    1) Overclock GPU to it's max stable core overclock value offset, e.g. +100 or whatever it happens to be
    2) Use the Power Slider on MSI afterburner: reduce it to a power value that produces temperatures you want to see.

By doing the 2 things above, you're increasing the core clock for any given voltage point (kind of like undervolting in some ways in as much as you're getting maximum performance efficiency at any given voltage point), and by reducing the Power Slider you're controlling your temperatures. So, I kind of see this as a very similar thing to undervolting when you combine those 2 aspects. You have access to the Power slider on mobile - I'm not sure?

Ashtrix and Arondel like this.
  9. mrpanda

mrpanda Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys, so I recently bought a MSI GS63 Stealth Pro with a GTX 1060 last week. When I first started playing with it, everything was going well and temperatures were at stable temperatures. Overwatch on Ultra was no biggie, at most it got warm around some parts. However, about two days ago, I've been having temperature issues with it. The CPU/GPU are getting to around 90 degrees Celsius according to the MSI "Dragon Center" after a single game of Overwatch whereas in the past, I could play for 10+ games while it would stay below 80ish.

Is anyone familiar with issues surrounding this model of the graphics card or of the laptop? I'm still running it plugged in & at high performance mode but the heating has just gone crazy in the past few days.

10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's not 10 degrees hotter in your room is it?! I'd verify that the fans are still spinning, you can even check fan rpm using HWInfo 'Sensors'. Do you live in a very dusty area, heatsinks & intakes clogged with dust - blow out with can of compressed air. And then finally, if the previous points didn't yield results, then maybe your heatsink has become dislodged slightly through travelling knocks or perhaps the thermal paste between the CPU & heatsink has 'pumped out' over time (which normally only happens if the heatsink is not making good flat contact in the first place) - which might be solved by repasting the CPU.

Prototime likes this.