*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You just replaced the mobo.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On paper the P870DM motherboard has some of the strongest power circuitry any laptop has had ever. Each individual GPU supply is rated at 266W and the total motherboard power is rated at 1368W.

Now what is weak is an unmodified 980m power circuitry. An unmodded 980m cannot supply 150W+ longterm. It's only rated for around 140W. I'm thinking in your example the 980m blew and not the motherboard.

The 1070 significantly has beefier power circuitry than an unmodded 980m. I don't really see a scenario where the motherboard or GPU could die.

3. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Although, a big factor is where the motherboard power FETs are located. If they are between the motherboard and MXM card like on the P150EM, they'll pick up heat from the GPU and I could see them blowing at around 200W sustained use, which an overclocked 1080 may be able to do.

4. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    The idea is to stay around the stock desktop 1070 range of 151 - 170w. That's it. My modded 980DT heatsink should be able to cope.

5. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    980DT heatsink should easy hold it.

6. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I wonder if the number of power FETs is an indicator of wattage? The MSI 1070 that I have has 6, the 180w 980DT has 5, the 200w 980DT has 7, while the 980M has about 2-3.

I'm talking about the grey things with "R22" printed on them.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tl;dr Yes.

The "R22" things are chokes though. The chips up the top are the fets, the important ones to keep cool. The fet together with the choke make up a VRM or 'phase'

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1229-anatomy-of-a-motherboard-what-is-a-vrm-mosfet

The one thing I dont think they mention clearly enough in that guide is that the more phases, the more wattage that can be put through the whole VRM setup and be "cleaned" so the higher the power draw can go without causing voltage fluctuations that cause the chip to malfunction i. e. crash. So all else being equal, more is better. But quality and specs can also come into it; more lower quality/lower spec phases may not necessarily be better

I vaguely remember Khenglish saying somewhere that the FETs on the 980M were in some way more complex doubled up units so "only 3 phases" wasnt as bad as it would appear if they were standard.

Ashtrix likes this.
  8. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    You mean the small black ones that are paired above the R22 chokes? If so there's 12 of those.

So the 1070 has 6 phases?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks to me like 5 for core + 1 memory. But without an analysis of the components who knows what stress a particular load puts on the VRM setup - which I can't do because it requires actual knowledge of this stuff ;)

If (when) I get to modding mine I probably won't go higher than 150W. Pascal looks like a nightmare to reliably and predictably control with some kind of trickery getting in the way of user settings and readouts, and actual core behavior. Which is one reason I held out for so long, waiting to see what Pascal was capable of when unlocked (hasn't happened), I willing to give RX480 MXM a go (didn't happen in Clevo), gave up after waiting forrrreevvvvveeerrrrrr for Vega... I feel dirty indirectly supporting MSI and Nvidia but at least my money went only to a spare parts dealer somewhere in AZ

10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    If you've seen photos of the 180W 980DT it has a 4 + 1 choke arrangement, hence my assumption that the MSI 1070 could do it with its 5 + 1 choke arrangement.

But as you say, it's all guess work.

EDIT: looks like @Coolane has been running TDP mods since they first posted about it on techinferno in January 2017.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    aaronne likes this.