*Official* nVidia GTX 10xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Orgrimm, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How would you bump it up? Hardware programmer?

I said i would gladly donate $20 or even $30 or $40 if someone hacked a current version of NVflash to bypass the Certificate 2.0 error after modding the Bios but I don't know if anyone wants to :(
    I know if I offered $100 of course someone would do it but i'm on a fixed income on SSI..i cant just throw money around :(

2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Of course with a hardware programmer, I've been talking about it for the last few pages already.

EDIT: Programmer has shipped so just waiting on that and the other stuff... Won't get to it by at least the end of the month.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I wonder if that's just that particular GPU chip since 980m != 1070.

My question is how can the mobo burn out if I set the GPU TDP to max at 150w and keep throttling in place? Is it peaking on the GPU side and then just causes a blowback in the system that affects the mobo's mosfets?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Knight666 likes this.
  4. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still motherboard is under same load, 150w pull is still 150w pull. I just remember my old H55M motherboard section melted under i5 750 4GHz after half year (but this is CPU case) :p
    You're really tough man, on your place I would sell P870DM like I did this week. This game is just not worthy of playing (imho, subjective).
    Our P870DM motherboard is tough too, but it can't hold insane loads after all - it's not designed to do so.

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Is 150w considered insane? I would have thought it was quite mild to moderate. 200 is insane.

6. Knight666

Reputations:
    I tought so too, but life verificated it quickly. Currently I consider 150w as end of a safe-zone. After this barrier it might work or burn. Imagine "safety chart", after 150w we have hyperinflation of risk.

7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Thought I run capped at 60fps for the majority of the games I play and the power usage fluctuates a lot.

8. Knight666

Reputations:
    Indeed, I have point of vision where in 4K gpu was always under 100% extreme load without breaks for a rest or cool-down. But* even in FHD if you face the game that will push GPU to the limit, and you forget about it's TDP it might end badly. I know this is a black scenario but You have to keep it in mind.

9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I'm not fussed either way if i do or don't go through with it.

Might resell the programmer when I receive it.

10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Khenglish said the P870DM mobo is good for 266W per MXM slot

Now how that peak limit translates into long term longevity is of course unknown. But given how hard some users have pushed it over time I'm confident in having it draw 130-140W per slot on OCed SLI 980Ms and a 6700K at 4.4-4.5, the thing just runs so damn cool with what I've done to it, heat sink fit, liquid metal, defoiling the base, sitting it on a stand, etc.

Mine hasnt blown up yet (well for that reason anyway... I killed it by having something drop in the socket which is pretty obvious user error) and I've seen the power meter on the wall peak at 606W

How much the DM3/KM1 is specced up over the DM1 to handle the pascal high end is unknown, but they seem to handle those 200W GPUs in SLI just fine.