Official NEW SVZ Z series Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Imperial

Imperial Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    a) Thanks to the person who helped me out getting Premiere Pro working on my machine sans PMD - it works great now.

b) In response to the above posts, I was also considering a UX31A over my Sony SVZ. In short, the reasons why I chose the Sony are as follows: full mobile processor (I do a lot of video editing), full gigabit ethernet NIC (whereas UX31A only has Wi-Fi or "Fast" ethernet (100 mbps, a miserable 12.5 MB/s)), HDMI port (enough said), the screen (the colors are mindblowing), possibility of sheet battery / PMD (though I haven't bought either), and finally the fingerprint reader for security. Having used both a UX31A and my own laptop, the SVZ definitely feels more "business-like" than the UX31A which seems more consumer-oriented.

2. rrm998

rrm998 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Like all the very thin laptops, a shallow keyboard is the price to be paid. Some like this keyboard -- it's has move of a hard click to it. Others don't anyone who really pounds the keys would tend to not like it. For my use, it is one of the best ultra portable keyboards I've tried. I think the Macbook Air and Dell Ultrabook do a bit better. It's definitely something you would want to try before you buy if you can.

2. The trackpad is small but otherwise it's a nice trackpad. The texture is unique and the gestures and such tend to work well for a Windows machine. I've found that the momentum/Glide feature of the track pad helps out with the small size.

3. On my Z2, I opted for 1600x900. I can use everything at 100% that way. Of course if Sony's only offering the full HD version, you don't have a choice unless you hit eBay for a 2011 model.

4. One question not asked: Are the speakers any good? They are the worst speakers I've ever owned on a computing device. If you use your speakers today, keep this in mind.

3. FoodIsEvil

FoodIsEvil Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone from the U.S please help buy me the laptop and sell it to me on ebay or something? it's sold out in Australia, Taiwan and Hong Kong!! I live in Australia.

The ones on ebay don't sell the glossy Premium Carbon Fibre...I can pay a higher price, I really want this! :(

4. Japperd

Japperd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've gotten mine in and so far I'm loving it! The webcam works, before the clean install and after. I'm also not having any issues from noises or stuff like that. I'm still waiting for my sleeve though...

The screen is beautiful and I'm pretty glad I didn't go for the FHD screen version. 1600 x 900 is just fine. Any smaller wouldn't be great...

I also like the batterysheet. Although I don't like it that you have to screw it stuck to the vaio. Of course, you could just only click it, but still, it is not as easy as say, a transformer prime.

5. fam

fam Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i heard that strange "hsss" noise along with the fan sound on my vaio svz today. it happened after windows update completion, i kept the laptop on the bed.. probably the heat caused the sound issue?

6. m1key

m1key Newbie

Reputations:
    Can people that own the European Version the (SVZ1311C5E) please tell me if you don't choose to have the WWAN/3g modem

Option when you bought the Laptop, does it still have the sim card slot and Antennas for the WWAN inside (Just missing the 3g PCI-E Card?)

The reason i'm asking is that i'm bidding one on ebay that doesn't have the WWAN Card, so I wanna add one later

Thanks!

7. Japperd

Reputations:
    I have the svz1311c5e and I don't know how to look in to that. I see on the back a place where I suppose was to place the sim card, but you can't really open it somehow. Unless you were to open the whole case.
    Which I'm scared to do with my new baby...

8. Japperd

Reputations:
    Could be. Since the Vaio has so little space in it's chassis, I would really avoid keeping it on the bed, collecting dust for the inside...

9. FreemanKilpatrick

FreemanKilpatrick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the status is on Windows 8? I've got the manufacturing release available via MSDN, but I don't know if there is full driver support available for it yet. Anyone tried an upgrade?

10. Justing6

Justing6 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Read back a few pages on this thread. Many people have talked about hearing a hissing noise coming from the computer that is not the fan. My Z does not have this problem, but it seems others do. They have called Sony and talked to support but have not found any fix.