Official NEW SVZ Z series Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And once again I have returned to the ranks of Z3 owners! My 11390X only lacks the 512GB SSD to be exactly the same as a 1311CHXXI. Owner even ordered it with the matching Bluray writer dock. Having been using a new technology Razer since my old Z was stolen...I can say based on side by side comparisons in both stand alone mode and using my 980ti card as an egpu that the Z is almost indistinguishable in either day to day or gaming performance. Amazing for a 5 year old machine!

2. orionz

Reputations:
    This is likely too time late to be of help. That said...I just resuscitated a Z with EACTLY the same symptoms by removing the motherboard, the memory modules on the mobo, cleaning everything, repasting the cpu (while I was in there) and CAREFULLY reconnecting everything. A Z that was dead (and sold to me for a song) lit up and is now fully functional! The symptoms you describe indicate a failure to post. I diagnosed a mobo change...which I did but the new mobo had a bad connector for the SSD. So back in went the original FAILED TO POST mobo...and whadya kno? It worked! And no I'm afraid I don't know what component it was that was screwed up and causing the failure to POST.

3. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you written anywhere how you did about making your eGPU setup on the SVZ? The idea intrigues me, despite having moved on to an HP EliteBook, mainly because I grew really tired of the SVZ keyboard.

4. orionz

Reputations:
    I have not done a full guide to this. Others have done so. The following threads are the basis for my mod using a PE4L-PM060A purchased on ebay.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/sony-vpc-z2-svz-convenient-egpu-setup.619904/
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...ide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/#post102517

General considerations:
    A) you have be comfortable removing the internal battery and the case bottom from your Z.
    b) The internal wireless modem has to be removed to free the PCI-E slot it is plugged into. A far more modern usb modem is then plugged into one of the external usb3 slots to provide wireless connectivity.
    c) A hole must be cut into the case bottom (I used a Dremel tool to do this) so that the PM060A cable can be inserted as necessary to connect your (separately purchased) video card to the PCI-E bus. I cover the hole with carefully cut black electrical tape when using the machine in portable mode. See techinferno thread.
    d)your video card is unlikely to be recognized until you perform the DSDT override procedure to open the LARGE MEMORY space. You will have to edit the DSDT table per the notebookreview thread. AND you will have to operate Windows 10 in test mode thereafter (no big deal) for the override to be effective.
    e)once all that is done you new external video card should be detected and you can install appropriate drivers.
    f)The intel 3612QM although only a 3rd gen processor is a 35 watt TDP processor making it stronger than many 7th gen ULV processors...so you have plenty of processor power to support even current gen video cards!
    Questions welcome...but read the first post of each thread first.