Official NEW SVZ Z series Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurferJon

SurferJon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I see it now! Thank you!

Now what about the power media dock? :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. SurferJon

SurferJon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And now my display brightness won't stop jumping up in brightness. It does it on its own and I can't figure out how to stop it. I even installed the stock HD 4000 driver and it still keeps adjusting itself.

3. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need special hybrid drivers for the power media dock. Installing direct from Intel drivers will break the hybrid function. Leshcat is a good source for drivers, although I haven't used them in some time. I gave up on the PMD and strictly use the latest drivers from Intel without issue.

Be wary buying batteries on ebay. Make sure it's OEM, even if it is, it might be faulty. I got one that was brand new but has trouble charging to 100% even after multiple attempts to condition the battery.

4. jacobkane

jacobkane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just received a notification about a free upgrade to Windows 10 being available. Is this upgrade safe to install or will it result in any problems with drivers, vaio control center or anything else?

5. jacobkane

Reputations:
    I used the "get windows 10" app to check if the SVZ13 is ready for Windows 10.
    The result is as follows:

Windows 10 will work on this PC
    This PC can be upgraded but there may be some issues

These devices aren't fully compatible with Windows 10:

Intel HD Graphics 4000
    You'll experience problems with your display

These apps might not work correctly after the update:

Bluetooth Server

Intel PROset/Wireless for Bluetooth + High Speed

-----

I then downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility and received the following result:

Graphics:

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Utility is not able to update the driver, Contact the computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

-----

A research on Sony's driver & utility website for the SVZ1311C5E did not help either. There are no updated drivers for the HD4000 available.

The question is: Should just stick with Windows 7 or upgrade anyway? As I am not using the docking station, it might work to use a generic driver for the HD 4000 chipset instead of the original driver.

Please share your thoughts and/or experiences about this with me. Thanks!

6. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have NOT used windows 10. That said I have some thoughts. I did successfully upgrade a previous Z to Windows 8. I did well after the release...long enough that 8.1 was out and I could take advantage of the experience of many on this forum. If you review the thread...there are many pages devoted to the tribulations of those who were early adopters of win8. NOT pretty. And win8 was (supposedly) supported by Sony. The good news for you is that many of the drivers for our hardware will be organic to win10. The major problem will be the video driver. It always is. Judging by what the upgrade tool told you....win10 MAY not have a driver available for it...but Intel SHOULD...be sure you check and have a win10 certified driver ready to go before starting any upgrade. As for the Sony utilities like VCC/shared library there will be no updates for win10 as Sony is now out of the VAIO biz altogether. I'm not sure how to work around that one at all. I would say that SOME functionality is sure to be lost. How much is lost and how much you care would be of interest to us all.

In short....I wouldn'tdo it. Sorry to be negative. Stay with win7....that's what I'm doing. Use win8 if you like. The rest will work fine...just upgrade to win8 first then upgrade again to win8.1. Download ALL upgrade utilities from Sony first! I don't see how win 10 is an option without a way to update the Sony proprietary utilities....too much of our machines is controlled by Sony specific firmware.

Last thought. When Sony released the Z3's they used there own firmware to produce an experience almost like win8 but with win7! (Very fast & secure boot process....and highly encrypted SSD if you use Bitlocker) I found little advantage to being on win8. That's why these beauties were so far ahead of their time and still kick butt today. If we could only find a way to upgrade the video chip in the PMD for us gamers....

If you try we'd love to hear how it works!!

7. gerrykiddy

gerrykiddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my SVZ 1311 I am using Windows 10 preview as my normal Operating system. With the early builds I had problems with the 4000 graphics, although easy to fix. The Synaptics Touchpad was almost impossible to use and I resorted to a mouse, there was also an issue with the Realtek memory card driver. The last 2 builds however have been really good and no issues with drivers at all. Hope this helps. BTW I am using build 10130 at the moment.

Qwaarjet likes this.
  8. jacobkane

Reputations:
    My SVZ13 crashed several times today while I was working on something in Photoshop. I restarted it and checked the fan with diagnostics: It seems to be working. After a restart, the picture of the external screen wasn't right (flickering). Now it crashed again and if I restart it, the fans rev up to full speed and that's it. Black screen. Did anyone experience a similar problem? Did my Z3 finally reach EOL after three years?

9. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This sounds like what has happened to some people (usually but not always Z2 owners) who load a BIOS not designed for their machine. Obviously not the case for you but I would suggest that getting your Z running again would likely required a motherboard change. I would guess that a hardware failure has occurred somewhere on the board. The only good news here is that the mobo's can be purchased fairly cheaply on Ebay. Installation is detailed work and not for novices though.

10. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just updated from 8.1 to 10 with no issues to report so far. Painless update.

gerrykiddy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.