Official NEW SVZ Z series Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJolly

AJolly Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know where to get replacement hinges? The right laptop hinge broke :/

2. ivan_xiao

ivan_xiao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hallo

Just wanna to know, is there any possibilities to tighten the loose hinge screw on the LCD panel side without opening the whole laptop ..?

From this blue print, it looks like possible, but just want to make sure, if someone here already tried once. It looks like the " 15Th anniversary " engraved hinge could be deattached easily, then tighten the hinge screw from there

https://synrc.com/vaio/SVZ/SVZ131_SM.pdf

thanks

3. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The hinges on the Z3 can only be accessed by removing the bottom plate. See my last post on previous page. When you have the bottom plate removed (do NOT forget to remove the two HIDDEN screws under pads at the outboard ends of the hinge side of the lappy) there are two large silver screws which are highlighted in the attached photo. Gently but completely tighten them. Do NOT over tighten or they will strip the mount below the hinge! There are also two other screws that come through from the outside of the bottom plate and that secure the hinge extension towards the speakers. These should be similarly tightened when you replace the case bottom.

When your hinges are loose or worse yet apparently broken it is usually the mount under the large silver screws that is at fault. These screws take a lot of stress when the lappy is constantly opened and closed. The mount (which is really a hollow plastic/carbon fiber column lined with tiny brass fitting for the screw threads to engage) typically cracks and/or falls apart releasing the tension on the sliver screw and allowing you hinge to flex. The more it flexes...the more it breaks apart and soon your whole screen is loose. Keep the screws snug and there is no flex...and the mount stays in one piece!

I did have some luck rebuilding a mount on a Z2 with this problem using the fragments of the mount column found inside the case with steel reinforced epoxy glue. I worked but it's likely that the hinge could not be removed later as it was now firmly glued in place. But how many people actually ever NEED to remove their hinges? Even to change the LCD panel does not require removing the whole hinge.

If you want to get at the two fasteners that are actually on the LCD panel buried WAAAAYYY down in the crack of the hinge....I THINK it would require removing the bottom plate, removing the screws securing the hinges to the palm rest (the 2 bigger silvers ones above) and then freeing the lid/LCD from the top of the machine to get at them. I had to do that once to change a screen. There also two (I think) cables that connect the lcd to the motherboard. It can be done but it is very delicate work!

Good luck!

Attached Files:

4. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm having a problem with the USB ports on the PMD. Every time I disconnect/reconnect my SVZ, the USB ports on the PMD are unusable. It seems the "Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller" is not able to unload/reload correctly. The device has a yellow exclamation mark in device manager and the device status says:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

The driver version is 2011-10-25 2.1.28.0

I downloaded the driver from Sonys support site for my exact model number a few days ago, but it's no difference. I think I had the same version before. I've also tried some other version from Renesas but with the same result.

Anyone else got it working? As it is now, I have to reboot the SVZ every time I insert the PMD and want to use the USB ports there.

Magnus

5. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wild guess: perhaps a Renesas firmware upgrade from station-drivers.com will do the trick. And using latest Renesas drivers in any case.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

6. McMagnus

McMagnus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was just going to reply, "I already did", but then I remember I tried a driver from some driver download site that didn't work, then I tried a driver from station-drivers that didn't install, and I realize now it was for the wrong chipset. For some reason, I now found NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 Host Controller Drivers | Plugable where I was able to see which chipset I had and then download the correct driver.

I now have version 2.1.39.0 and it works great!

Thanks!

7. guho

guho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you update the firmware too or was it already at the latest version?

8. ivan_xiao

ivan_xiao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

Thanks. Already managed to repair ly loose Hinge

bu the way, Do you know where to download the preinstalled Dolby Home Theather V4 for the SVZ..? Just googling it, but found nothing unless the Realtek Driver

Thanks

9. gerrykiddy

gerrykiddy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the SVZ1311 with Intel Graphics. I am using the win10 9926build. I keep finding a windows update for Intel Graphics 4000 drivers. It downloads and normally fails to install. but still comes bak as an update. Any ideas and is this the best display driver I can use. I do not use a PMD.

10. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.