Official NEW SVZ Z series Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brody_

brody_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no drama with 8.1. As expected sony didn't include secure boot support, so 8.1 complains about it with a watermark.

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have tried everything and now even upgraded to Win 8 and still nada. I believe it is the latest version of Chrome as well. For some reason it stopped working the moment I connected the laptop to Internet after a month of no use. I am for now ilving without it, but might find an older version and turn off updates.

3. jdbrookes

jdbrookes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I've returned it to Sony repair support in the UK, even though its out of warranty they have very kindly offered to collect and repair it for free (unless user or water damage is suspected). Great support from Sony as usual! However I'm traveling at the moment so I've not had a chance to call them to check on the repair status, its been with them just over a week. Hopefully the issue has been fixed! Will update later.

By the way I did try all the usual diagnostics, including ssd and raid, and it was not an issue there. Due to the fan speed ramping up in that particular fashion I suspect it was a motherboard or power supply issue.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those interested in getting fingerprint reader for website logon working - I got it working under Win 8.

Uninstalled all stuff I had - TrueSuite drivers, delete Chrome cache, CCleaner cleaned up registry.

Installed WBF driver 3..4.84. Installled Protector Suite (free from Authentec). Enrolled. On websites I enter credentials and swipe an nerolled finger - it asks me to save credentials and it is done.

5. jdbrookes

jdbrookes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    An update on my shutdown issue with my Z21 - like I said above I returned it to Sony and they promised a free warranty repair even though it was well out of warranty (only 1 year Warranty here in Ireland). The repair in fairness took almost 3 weeks because parts had to be ordered from God knows where, but in the end they replaced the fans, motherboard, keyboard and palmrest. I've no idea why the keyboard or palmrest were replaced. I've had my lovely Z21 back 4 days now and I've just about reinstalled everything (I decided on a fresh Windows 8 installation for housekeeping reasons) and it's working perfectly. The fan seemed noisy at first but perhaps that was just the new hardware "bedding in" because it's much quieter now. I also assume Windows was doing a lot of CPU-intensive indexing the first few days of the new OS installation.

So long story short, Sony provided a considerable repair for free even though the laptop was well out of warranty, and everything is working great again. A motherboard replacement would have been expensive. Cheers Sony!

6. netinbd

netinbd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    anyone know where i can buy parts for z1311? eg. back cover

7. AGabi

AGabi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have one. If you intersting message to PM

8. Ryuuga

Ryuuga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I came from the Vaio Pro forum, originally wanted to buy a Vaio Pro, but now looking into other options notebook options that has a full mobile CPU instead of the ULV CPUs.
    Obviously Vaio Z is the next in line, but it is also discontinued. Looked in ebay couldn't find a good model. Are there any places I can find a a used Vaio Z? Or maybe some suggestions to a laptop with full mobile CPU but also portable (and not a Thinkpad)??

9. Nickolai

Nickolai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, all

I have purchased a second hand vaio z3 (svz1311C5E) and the camera is not detected by the OS. Could someone post a screenshot of their device manager showing properly functional camera? Many thanks in advance for your help!

10. jacobkane

jacobkane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here you go (SVZ1311C5E with stock Windows 7)

vaio_cam.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.