*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Passmark cpu score @ 4.1

paasmark 4.1.jpg

2. Raiderman

Reputations:
    Cinebench 11.5@4.1 60C

cb 11.5 at 4.1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Papusan, Mr. Fox, TANWare and 2 others like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I suppose it's the load temperatures that matter, but idle temperatures should indicate load temperatures to some extent. I'm surprised that GPU temperatures have not increased with that layout due to the reservoir looking like it's blocking cold air flow to the GPU fans from the intakes at the front of the case, as well as all that hot air from the CPU just entering the whole case from the top panel radiator. With my setup the CPU load doesn't increase case temperatures at all because the CPU air cooler is in a direct line with the exhaust fan, and the exhaust fan is only an inch or so from the rear of the CPU cooler - so all the hot air just goes straight out; if you've got your CPU radiator on the top panel and it's spewing heat into the case in a diffuse manner there's no direct line to the exhaust from that heat, so the hot air is more likely to mix in the case (rather than being immediately exhausted) thereby raising case temperatures & consequently GPU temperatures. Maybe you'd have to do load testing with Prime & Firestrike before & after to reliably see the difference - it would have to be the same run & test methodology before & after CPU liquid cooling installation, so I'm not sure if you've got that baseline data from your previous air cooled setup.

(You say you "don't have added heat from the air cooler flowing around the case anymore", but your CPU radiator is acting as an intake right, if that's the situation then you're putting the same amount of heat into the case - so it just comes down to how efficiently that hot air can be exhausted from the case when comparing your air cooled to liquid cooled setup)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:22 AM
    Raiderman and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It might not make that much difference in the grand scheme of things, especially considering the type of heat sink on that GPU. The GPU is always going to suck in whatever air is present, blow it out the side and recirculate it. If the ambient temperature in the case is no warmer than before, which is most likely the situation, the air the GPU fans are circulating will be at or near the same temperature. If it were a blower style GPU that were pushing all of the hot air it generates out the back, then it might be a bit cooler since that type is not recirculating its own hot air. Ideally, when he buys his next GPU it will also be water cooled and both radiators will draw from cooler outside air to more effectively cool the liquid as opposed to blowing pre-heated air through the radiators. The ambient temperature inside of the case should not any be hotter, and perhaps a little cooler, than an air cooled solution because the CPU and GPU are producing the same number of watts worth of heat.

I have 11 fans in total, 10 of which pull in cool outside air and push the hot air out everywhere there is an opening. The way this case is made, (View 71 for those that are new to the thread,) there are openings literally everywhere. Nothing is sealed off anywhere on the front, sides, top, bottom or back. Every glass panel has between 0.25 inch and 0.5 inch air space space between it and the chassis to pull air in or push air out. The air inside of my chassis feels about the same temperature as the air in my room. I haven't compared the internal and external ambient temps with a thermometer, but it would be interesting to do that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:41 AM
    Robbo99999, Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 3:05 AM
    Papusan and Raiderman like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    It goes to show how weighted PM is Compare mine and yours and see I double almost all your scores with the TR but because single thread, 1/9th of the scores is the same, I only total 26745 instead of like 34,000+.

Edit; if it were truly equal weighted.

EW_pm.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 4:07 AM
    Raiderman likes this.
  7. Raiderman

Reputations:
    The front case fans are two huge 200mm fans, so the reservoir doesn't really block air flow, it is simply redirected. The air coming in from the radiator is not hot by any means, and is also exhausted. Like Fox, my case is full of vents and holes, so everything is pushed out the back. I've run 3dmark 11, and not noticed any temp change. The gpu is a rog strix so it has a massive heatsink, and three fans. I wish I could find a 1080 worth a **** in stock that isn't $800!! Stupid crypto miners have bought everything up, and driven the prices to idiotic levels.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox, Robbo99999 and TANWare like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Well it's good that your GPU heatsink can tolerate whatever the case temperatures are with ease, so that's good. You say the air coming from the CPU radiator is not hot - well it doesn't really matter what the temperature of the air feels like - your water cooled CPU is outputting the same heat into your case that the air cooled CPU was doing, although if your CPU is operating at significantly lower temperatures due to water cooling then this can reduce power consumption a bit, which is a win.

9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    On the topic of mechanical keyboards & key chatter. I was getting some key chatter, which is when you press the key once, and then you get it registered as two key presses. I used some free software to diagnose which keys were being affected, called Switch Hitter (https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php). I used a keycap puller to remove all the keys from my keyboard, then used can of compressed air to clean the keyboard generally, as well as blowing compressed air into the affected keys, I also put a couple of drops of isopropyl alchohol into each of the affected keys & worked them - after leaving to dry I've cured most of the problem keys. Tomorrow I'll have another go at the affected keys that have resisted my initial fixing!

I've got a "Thermaltake POSEIDON Z Brown Switches Mechanical Keyboard", but I heard that key chatter will affect all mechanical keyboards at some point - I've had mine for 1 yr 2 months, and it's just started to show those issues - anyone else had similar problems and their solutions to the problem/fixing? Who's had a rock solid mechanical keyboard with no issues for years of use, and what make/model is it? I may purchase a new keyboard if this one resists my attempts at fixing.

**EDIT: Because this is off-topic, apart from being desktop related, I've moved this to a new thread, so feel free to respond there if you like! http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mechancial-keyboards-key-chatter-malfunction.812824/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Raiderman

Reputations:
    Just ran Firestrike to test Graphics temp, and the fans didnt even spin up to 20%, and top temp was 57c? Do I need to run firestrike extreme? I ran at stock cpu maxed at 36c.
    I will run Oced, and use the extremes test, and see what temps are.
    Physics score of 19200 Stock clock