*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Unfortunately getting enough people on board would be nearly impossible. We've become a society addicted to the latest and greatest even to our own financial detriment. This upgrade cycle was the perfect storm on so many levels. Covid has shut down much outside luxury spending. Inside entertainment has taken on a greater importance. Mining is continuing to climb and this was a worthy cycle for GPUs on both fronts and then tariffs and increased production costs.....

Prices are climbing even for some SSDs and memory I've noticed while pricing out a few new builds for family and friends. I expect market conditions to get much worse before they get better.

I'm very glad to have scored a FE 3070 @ MSRP after dipping my toe into the FE 3090 pond of prices I would never normally pay for a GPU. I returned my 10900k + Strix Z490 and will sit and wait with my 9900k @ 5.2 + 3070 till something emerges worthy and pricing gains some sanity.

Maybe it is because of WoW patches / Nvidia drivers, but I really am not seeing much of a difference between 4k Ultra WoW w/ RT on the 3070 vs the 3090. Lows are about the same in all the same spots I pinpointed that would tank frames on the 3090. Of course highs are ~100-120 on the 3070 and 200+ on the 3090 but on my 60hz 4k display that is meaningless.

Rage Set, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Good results. Nice job. With Pascal, Turing and now Ampere, GPU performance is tied to temperature to the point of utter absurdity. It really sucks that clocks are limited LONG before the GPU comes anywhere remotely close to getting dangerously hot. Very stupid design defect, but intentional. Adding the extra radiator and associated volume of coolant certainly helps.

You may want to think about getting rid of the restrictive case at some point.

I got some more pieces of anodized aluminum bar stock (ordered a second kit) to roll my own chassis. I now have the CPU binning rig in a vertical arrangement with added space to hang on more crap, but with none of the restrictions of a case. Has kind of a cool mech industrial look to it. I may even swap this out on my overclocking rig and use the Primochill bench for the CPU binning rig. It will accommodate E-ATX. I really like the "open floor plan" for houses and computers. This would be perfect with the MO-RA 360 standing next to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Rage Set, Johnksss, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    The current memory price increase is off of a report of a shortage of smaller wafers for production, said to be covid related. So, we enjoyed memory process going down until that report dropped either around Thanksgiving or in December. Since then, prices started to trend up, while they were extraordinarily low leading up to that point, being able to pick up a 16GB 3200 or 3600 kit for $60-70.

So the change in direction is due to wafer supply issues for smaller size wafers. Everyone focuses on the big 300mm (12") wafers, but it is the smaller ones used for the other essential products.

Just wanted to let you know why memory changed course, part speculation and part expected supply constraints coming soon, so buying the SSD or RAM you want might be best now, or else you could have to wait awhile for the best price.

https://www.techpowerup.com/275153/wafer-prices-rising-by-up-to-40-in-2021-report

(those are the 200mm wafers; see also that Ford is idling a plant due to chip shortages: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/business/ford-auto-chip-shortage/index.html (german plant); https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-due-to-semiconductor-shortage-idUSKBN29D2HK (Kentucky plant))

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t...aled-300mm-wafer-at-5nm-is-nearly-dollar17000

So TSMC wafers are $17,000 each for 300mm for 5nm process.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    This reminds me of what I did with my Corsair 540 w/ the FE3090 and NH-D15. I ended up just taking the front, top, side glass and rear off, removing all the fans and basically a vertical open bench. This takes it to a whole new level and I really like the look of it.

I know I'm pretty much fixated on the Meshify 2 XL as my next case down the road with either dual AIOs or custom.

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
    That's not a computer benchtop; it's a race car engine block:

Notice the resemblance

[​IMG]

Rage Set, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    have you seen the EK manifold?

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-pro-manifold-2cpu-4gpu-acetal
    [​IMG]

Imagine throwing quick disconnects along that and linking multiple watercooled systems in a server rack to it.

8. GrandesBollas

Reputations:
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Absolutely! if 2,145Mhz just touches 38-39C it’s gonna crash very very hard.

You need to run 34-35C ideally and if temps hit up to 37C it’ll reliably still hold that 2,145Mhz without throttling down if the stars are all aligned properly of course.

And then there’s actual variation in silicon quality with TU102.

I have seen some really good rare examples of a 2080Ti run 2,145Mhz at like 45C lol. it’s crazy. Not very common though.

My silicon wants to be cold, always below human body temperature of 98.6F lol.

Anyways, yes I am absolutely limited by my case. And I might just go for a test bench soon enough. Fortunately I have managed to hold 35C range on this 2080Ti inside of this case. it is a miracle.

10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    We both know why he got the job. Dell Alienware have had good cooperation with AMD in many years. First system builder with Threadripper + the notebook brand outside Apple that offered Radeon graphics in their gamingbooks. And I'm sure he is the middleman for this deal as well. AMD needed his contacts at Dell:D This will easily pay back his yearly salary at AMD and well above.

Dell adds high-end model with Ryzen 9 5950X and RTX 3090 to Alienware Aurora Lineup
    By Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 01/19/2021 09:00 AM
    [​IMG]
    Dell announced a new high-end gaming PC "Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10" compatible with AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and GeForce RTX 3090.