*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The only way I got my 5900x/3080 and 5600x/3060 Ti was getting a heads up when stuff was in stock. There is a discord server I used for that:

https://discord.gg/mM5aBJmbrN

Please note this is not affiliated with NBR, I take no responsibility for anything on that server, and YMMV of course. Having said that, it's actually been pretty fun to watch people finally score hardware they've been waiting for. There is rumor of a Best Buy drop today, they typically restock every other Tuesday, but we will see what happens.

Johnksss, Papusan, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Do you have 4 systems? Or, do you play musical GPUs with one? That's a lot of GPUs to buy in a short amount of time. Best Buy isn't noted as being a good source for PC enthusiast parts, but what they do have they generally sells at very good prices. They don't do the scalping crap. Got to respect them for that, because they could easily get away with it if they wanted to.

Papusan, Rage Set and custom90gt like this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sorry I just listed 2x "hard to find" CPUs and 2x GPUs. The second combo is in my server while the first is in my desktop (awaiting a 3080 FTW3 waterblock). I did have another 3080 and a 3070 but they've since been sold to friends who couldn't track down a GPU...

Best buy is now the only one allowed to sell Founders Editions cards AFAIK, so they are the only source for that. Outside of EVGA direct (with a previous spot in the queue so you still have their pre-tariff prices) they are probably the best spot to pick one up. They will not ship cards to you and they limit you to one, so that cuts down on the scalpers snatching up all of the goodies...

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I think it would be wonderful for PC enthusiasts and gamers to do a hard reset on the industry. It would be great if we could all agree/conspire to hit the pause button for about 3 years and nobody buy anything unless it is absolutely unavoidable (like for business reasons, or replacing non-functional parts, repairing existing systems with used parts, etc.) and see where that lands us with these absolutely retarded prices and paper launches. No upgrades. No new builds, no recreational purchases. Let them get down on their knees and beg for sales. Paper launch? No problem. Here's my make believe interest in your digital unicorn. Call me when you actually have something to sell en masse and it doesn't require lubricant.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It would make more sense for the Business side to pull a boycott like that to be perfectly honest, since they charge much more for professional cards.

That being said I would love for all the tech reviewers to completely ignore Nvidia's next release until "their editorial position changes"

AMD needs to learn how to not continually shoot themselves in the foot, but then again they hired Frank Azor so 0% of that happening...

electrosoft, Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think it should be industry-wide. When I made an exception for business reasons I meant a company replacing broken or non-functional systems for which parts are not readily available or adding to their computer fleets to accommodate business growth. What they charge for professional cards is ludicrous, but what they charge for consumer/enthusiast CPU and GPUs is no less ludicrous and out of scope with anything that even remotely resembles decent value.

Hiring Azor really called their intelligence into question. If they thought he did a good job at Alienware/XPS, their judgment becomes even more questionable.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    electrosoft and Rage Set like this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    In a nutshell.

They are doing good things on the CPU side after PhenomII/FX and while the product stack was small they did provide some good competition in certain markets but right now AMD's problem (for me) is they cant compete with the value proposition they provided. I paid 160 USD + tax for my 2700x (new) and now they want 650 for a (2) generational equivalent. The previous offering still offers way more value at present. I dont NEED an upgrade, I would like one though lol.

GPU market is even worse but that was expected, though hardly condoned. Its nuts that my GPU sells for near double what I bought it for.

I know nvidia end of things arent any better but I havent kept up with Intel since I dont have much interest in their products right now...

I already played CyberPunk 2077 and my desktop managed 75+ FPS easily everything else is already known territory so I really dont have any justifiable reason for wasting my money right now lol. only thing I play right now is MGS5 and that runs on a potato.

Back to the books it is I guess, It would be nice for the market to smooth out though as I am sure there are many people who would like to upgrade and enjoy some immersion considering how absurd things are in adult life presently...

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    That is the problem though. With all the lockdowns and other crap forcing more to work from home or preventing people from going out and enjoying life, many have bought high end computer systems to work from home or to replace going and doing things with gaming. That has caused black friday like volumes, usually only seen for a week, maybe a month tops, to exist constantly since Q2 2020. With that much demand for 3 quarters in a row (btw, notice that ram prices were FALLING and NAND was FALLING during that entire period of unprecedented demand, suggesting that they artificially caused the high prices through collusion until the Chinese anti-monopoly division started investigating them, whereas the US antitrust at the FTC and European antitrust did NOTHING, just to point that out) has caused the full emptying of all supply channels. This is combined with trade wars causing maneuvering to avoid China being listed as the country of origin, which is a topic all its own (not commenting on if bad or good thing, just saying it happened and is its own topic).

This is why my plans were crushed and I went to only buying because a motherboard voltage reading circuit went out. The CPU still boots to windows fine, you just have no voltage monitoring for the CPU (including SA and IO as well as the VID, VCCin, etc.), and it now has intermittent crashing (so I do not trust running it without swapping the board, which I still plan on doing then handing that system off to my parents to update their system which is even older than Skylake).

But, quelling demand won't happen until western nations stop locking down and doing other things. Don't want to get too political here, though (a surprise, right?). So I will leave it there.

Thanks. I will check that out shortly.

I'm coming from Maxwell, so also a reason I cannot wait (although the true big jump will be multi-die GPUs like RDNA 3 and Hopper (delayed for lovelace, which will be memory bandwidth starved, so the extra 70% cuda cores will not matter, you will get maybe half that on performance, just like the 3090 has 20% more cuda cores and only 11% over the 3080 on performance before overclocked, and how the rumored 20GB 3080 Ti that was cancelled had the same number of cuda cores as the 3090, but only 4% performance over the 3080 due to having the cut down memory thereby reducing memory bandwidth).

Basically, Nvidia is at the end of what they can do with current memory to keep their cores fed (meaning a large cache would help or moving to HBM, but HBM3 isn't ready and HBM2 and HBM2E is still really expensive). GDDR7 is years out, possibly here by 4 years, so maybe Hopper. But I digress.

9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I finally did the impossible. And that’s sustaining 2,145Mhz forever in Cyberpunk 2077.

^ This game is not like others. It took some effort but I finally achieved it!

My GPU bounces between 34-35C and holds 2,145Mhz.

I also had to rearrange my silly setup before. Running a 360MM off the GPU’s 3rd and 4th G1/4 ports doesn’t work lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rage Set, Johnksss, Convel and 4 others like this.
  10. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I noticed that on my last two recent (IE January 2021) GPU purchases from Best Buy. My FE 3070 I had to pick up and I will have to pick up even a lowly PNY 1650 Super SFF GPU this friday from them for a super SFF buildout I'm currently gathering parts for for my brother who's finally upgrading from the 3770k monster tower I built for him ~8yrs ago and he wants as small and compact and quiet of a small desk unit as possible this time around.

On the other hand, I ordered an AMD 3600 from best buy for his SFF build and it is being shipped directly to my residence.

I'm glad Best Buy has at least enacted some control policies.

EVGA does the same with their queue system. That's why I'm queued up for a KP 3090 for my bud who wants two and is also queued up. The only price he has to pay is I told him i get to play around with it for a few weeks before dropping it off. :D