*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OMG guys. What have I done? I went full on gamer boy! Haha.

So I heavily Heavily Heavily diluted down this Pastel coolant. So it is still solid in color, but much thinner! It was mixed very thick out of the bottle.

Now my temps are normal, and I can look cool too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload images

2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    The bucket hang ftw..... :)

tps3443, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I've never seen that method of filling a PC cooling system before. I wasn't sure what to make of it. I've also never seen a bucket with a hose on the bottom like that. I could see multiple uses for that, many of which are not related to computers.

@tps3443 - where'd you get that bucket, bro?

Rage Set, tps3443 and Papusan like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Go on amazon.

And search for “Enema Bucket”

lol.

I got this one for just a few dollars on amazon. It even allows me to turn the water flow off while filling my PC. So I can continue running the pump without the reservoir going dry, and needing to turn my PC off.

So if I want to my flush my PC, I hang the bucket and remove a G1/4 plug on my GPU. And just let the PC run liquid in to another container. And it fills, and drains continuously.

It works great for flushing all sorts of systems I suppose lol.

Anyways, I tore my 2080Ti block apart last night and it looked super clean! I didn’t see anything within my CPU block either, but I didn’t take it apart. So I assumed if the GPU was spotless just a flush is good enough.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Crysis Remastered got a new patch with more eye candy. Looks even better than before.

Processing is complete up to 1080p60, but YouTube is still processing higher resolutions.

Interesting that a standard 3090 has a TGP of 350W and this game is constantly pushing up to and beyond 400W with no overclock. It would likely be a disappointing experience running a GPU with a 350W or lower power limit. (Of course that would be true under any circumstances, but this is just one real world example of why it would be disappointing. It always sucks having PC parts that are firmware crippled.)

CR.JPG

Probably too soon to see evidence of the issues. Check again in 3 to 6 months and you're sure to find some sludge gumming up the works. That's just the nature of colored PC coolant. There's nothing wrong with that if one is aware of the trade-offs and is willing to do a little bit of extra maintenance to accommodate it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Johnksss and Rage Set like this.
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Welp, the voltage monitoring on my Maximus VIII just crapped the bed (reads that the CPU voltage is 4V, which if true would be instant death, so it is a resistor in a specific circuit that likely went out), so I'm replacing it with a 10700KF and an Aorus Z470 Ultra. Not too bad for $550 for that combo.

AMD has zero availability and AM4 is long in the tooth (although I could get a better X570 for the price I paid for the Aorus). Same with the announcement on the pricing on the 11th gen for Intel (talk about not having a clue). Then again, they have been moving black friday like volume since Q2 2020, so not like we will have good stock on anything anytime soon.

But this is the cheap replacement to upgrade the old 6700K system, so not worried. I'm still waiting for Zen 4 to upgrade the zen 1 1950X server (make them pay for removing 16-cores from the HEDT lineup and jacking MB prices at the same time AND requiring a new socket, so I promised I would not replace it until Zen 4 on a new socket with DDR5).

At least I will have new toys to play with....

Also, if anyone finds a 3080 at a reasonable price, let me know.

7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yeah I was just checking my loop because I was running straight distilled water without any fancy additives. It has been running for about 2-3 months now. But everything looks clean. I still heavily diluted the coolant with distilled water to the point where is was almost transparent.

So everything still runs cool and I get full pump speed RPM’s. And hopefully minimal gunk after a year of use. And no serious staining.

Anyways, I flush it frequently. So hopefully I can avoid tearing down blocks again in the future.

I have flushed it yet again after playing around with colors.

I tried Yellow, Orange,Red, and black, them flush throughly and back to my diluted down green! it is very fun and pretty easy to swap colors out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    people encouraging people

Johnksss, Papusan, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    That is one thing I miss, not being able to see the cooling loop. But, on the upside, my temps are great for non-sub-ambient with the server rack...

Papusan, Mr. Fox and Rage Set like this.
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah it’s pretty cool. I just added another radiator “3 360MM radiators in total”. I dunno how well it work like this though. But some water cooling bug bit me for sure.

[​IMG]

10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I've got a 20" fan pushing through 4x480mm rads for 3 systems, going to be 4 systems soon. Being outside the case, low or high on the fan, I don't see a difference in max temp (meaning I've reached the diminishing returns level of water cooling).

Inside a case, it is different and more Radiator can help, but there is a point where it doesn't help much. You can check the effectiveness by lowering the fan speed and comparing it to fans at 100%. If the delta is less than 4C between fans basically at their lowest spin while the system is under load and the fans at 100% while the system is under load, then you are at too much Radiator, meaning you went beyond the cost efficiency curve in water cooling, although that also means you can run that rig really quiet, which is its own benefit.

But it's looking good, man. Happy you caught the bug, because it is fun!

Johnksss, Papusan, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.