*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I added some pretty pastel coolant to my loop and it’s so foamy. Why is this? My line going back in to the reservoir is not submerged “There is not a tube”, is that the issue?

Also, when I turn my system off it usually overflows out the fill port a little lol. Mostly foam overflow

Any ideas? Is this from contamination in the loop? Or is it possibly sucking air when I power off the system?

No leaks anywhere.

The inlet that returns back in the the reservoir is a bubble blower for sure. I see water going back in the reservoir rapidly with a bunch of bubbles resurfacing. Is this all from lack of a inlet tube that is not submerged?

I had the same issue with distilled water. it just didn’t create foam, because it couldn’t create foam like this coolant does.

I really appreciate the help guys. System temps are great. But this is a nightmare lol. I am about to just flush it all out and use water again. screw this! haha.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What you are describing is fairly common. Using any kind of colorant or pre-colored liquid is going to have some degree of that foaming initially but it will go away after a day or two. Air bubbles in the loop after a system flush cause most of it, but it happens a little bit even when adding dye to an existing loop. While they look nice, the bigger issue is the staining of components and debris that collects in your water block fins. And, the amount of flushing and manual disassembly and elbow grease required to totally eliminate all traces of it can be tedious. If you run dye or colored coolants for a long time the staining can be nearly irreversible if you are using clear plexi parts. In addition to durability, this is another benefit to using glass reservoir tubes instead of plastic. Every plexi reservoir tube I have seen ends up having microscopic cracks, fissures, scratches or discoloration through normal use. So, buying only glass-tube reservoirs is the only option that makes good sense in the long run. Unless you drop one and break it, the glass tubes last forever.

A few pages back I posted some photos of the inside of my Optimus Signature V2. After taking time to think about the black stuff, I am pretty certain that it came from the black dye I used. It looked fantastic, but as I was adding it in the back of my mind I had an inner voice telling me that it was a stupid decision that I would come to regret. Should have listened to that inner voice.

The best thing to use is plain old distilled water with a biocide additive or ethylene glycol. If you like red, blue or green, automotive antifreeze also works perfectly. If you don't want red, blue or green, I believe you can buy a bottle of clear ethylene glycol and mix it with distilled water. That eliminates the need for using biocide or a silver kill coil.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Robbo99999 and Rage Set like this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I had accumulated a little pile of EVGA stuff, motherboard was already EVGA. Found an open box cheap DG-77 on Amazon warehouse. Found out why when I got
    it and had to repair the RGB board.

I do know unless something drastically changes, air coolers are officially on backup status.

I guess my next step down the road will be some custom water.

3070 @ 4k Ultra 10 RT Max is giving me similar frame rates as my 3090 did in my target range (60fps) and similar lows.....albeit in many spots the 3090 was pushing out over 200fps (yowza).

Thanks bro! If I could have sourced an EVGA FTW3 3070/3080 I would have went with that for the complete EVGA look (and do a vertical mount), but the 3070 FE will do.

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I almost feel like it doesn’t work as good. My idles temps are up a a couple celsius. And last night my 2,130Mhz clocked down to 2,115Mhz in cyberpunk 2077 which has never happen to me before.

When I first added the coolant and filled it up, it wasn’t like this at all. But now it’s just crazy.

I feel like my PC is pumping a frothy smoothie through it.

I am just about ready to flush with distilled, and just run clear.

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

So I think I figured out the problem with all my micro bubbles and foam.

My reservoir is tiny first of all, and my pump
    is on full speed.

So my pump is spinning so fast, that’s it sucking all of the bubbles from the return line before they can even surface inside of the reservoir. So it’s kinda like a endless cycle.

I read about a similar issue, and he had to reduce pump speed. I don’t have a submerged return line so I think that’s why I have getting these little bubbles. And then the pump just sucks them all up before they can even surface and pop.

I will get a better reservoir.

Robbo99999, Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The larger the better. I use XPSC 270mm reservoirs. The tubes are glass. All D5 pumps are basically the same, so if you have D5 pumps already they will work if you buy a reservoir and pump housing. Most D5 pumps are made by the same company and companies like EK, XSPC, Swiftec, Koolance and others just put their decals on them. Very similar to Asetek AIO pump and retention hardware setups. Most are either made by Asetek, or require a license from Asetek to manufacture them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I flushed out the loop. And watched idle temps drop 3C right before my eyes just by removing the pastel coolant. Not sure what’s wrong with that stuff. But it sucks! Fortunately I got it flushed out before any debris or clogging damage was done.

I am swapping over to clear tubes right now. And I will more than likely just run my own mixture of it. It says it’s ready for use. But it is thick like milk.

Also trying to figure out where to put a 3rd 360

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You can mount all three side-by-side on the opposite side of the case on the outside.

9. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    So, do you love it? :vbwink:

Rage Set and Papusan like this.