*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I don't use stress tests to check stability. I, like Mr. Fox, use benches to check stability, although I do a couple real hard hitting for sustained encoding, like Blender with Gooseberry (only on desktops, don't like to destroy laptops and that one is a hard hitter at 20+ minutes of strong blender work with HCC CPUs, lower core count can be double that to an hour). But, always good to share. Plus, I'm sure someone will want to try it or compare it to P95 at some point.

Mr. Fox, Raiderman and KY_BULLET like this.
  3. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am so beyond aggravated. I sold my desktop a week or 2 ago and finally got the remaining money I needed to order my video card. All I need to finish my build is my video card and my tubing and fittings but I do not want to order that until I have my GPU and can plan out my loop. This card has been in stock since forever, I never saw it go out of stock, and it had the Destiny 2 deal going on. Of course after I sell my desktop, every god damn GPU in existence goes out of stock or gets marked up 100% I am so ****ing frustrated. I have been planning this build out for months, waiting and saving and buying piece by piece and was waiting on the GPU as it was $850 and I needed to sell my computer to afford it and my "friend" who was going to buy it gave me the run around for 2+ months telling me he would buy it and I needed to save it for him and then bailed on me. Now the card has increased to $900 (which is not a lot considering some of the other cards price increases) and is completely out of stock everywhere and has been for the past week or 2 and who knows when it will come back, and the Destiny deal is over. I delidded my CPU, have every other part I need and started my build but FFS this is so ****ing beyond frustrating I don't even know what to do. Going on vacation on a cruise at the end of Feb. and my entire goal was to get this build finished and up and running before my trip which probably will not happen now. Thankfully I have my laptop to use but this is ridiculous.

Raiderman and Robbo99999 like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, well that just sucks, sometimes the stars align like that! You did everything you could to create a positive outcome, the only thing you could have done was to bail on your friend and sold your desktop sooner, but you were being a good friend - sucks, but be happy you were doing the right thing, and it'll get built in the end!

KY_BULLET likes this.
  5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know it will still get built in the end, it is just beyond incredibly frustrating to have this happen and be holding me back, I should have just gotten the card first but was afraid to because it comes with the waterblock already on it so I was afraid that it would commit me to having to do my water cooling build which I was having mixed opinions on doing when I started planning this build out.

Really one of the most aggravating things is I rushed into buying this stuff when coffee lake came out, then it looks like the new CPUs are rumored to being pushed up to Q1 this year with 8 cores in them and will not be compatible with my motherboard so if I wanted that "best of the best" I'd have to replace my whole mobo and cpu again. At this point it almost seems like I would have been better off waiting for these ice lake or whatever it is 8 core CPUs to come out and potentially more news about Volta GPUs later in the year rather than rushing into the 8700k came out. I guess it is what it is now and I'm this far, maybe if the next CPUs are that significant of an improvement, I have enough friends I have been getting into PCs and PC gaming so if I really feel like I missed out in the next year I could always sell my motherboard/cpu and or GPU if something else comes out soon to a friend and get a little back and upgrade my machine without affecting the existing tubing and set up too much. Just aggravating, I feel like I rushed into this, wasn't paying enough attention to PC part prices and thought I was doing the right thing and getting in now before GPUs or RAM or SSDs went up even more in price, and they have only continued to get more expensive while buying the parts for my PC (and I didn't/haven't even gotten a new SSD yet I am just re-using my 250gb one from my old desktop to save money for now) and now GPUs are insanely more expensive than they already were the past month or 2, and that's if you can even find one. They are like unicorns. My build will still be epicly amazing and powerful when I can finally finish it but I am so bummed at the current situation and that I will be forced to use my laptop every day for a while constantly disconnecting all of my cables and monitors, packing it up to bring to work, coming home and setting everything up again to use for a night before I go to work again the next day and feel like I have spent more money for this than I really should have, especially when all things considered I didn't really "NEED" to upgrade my desktop anytime soon lol. Then again I should just be grateful that I at least am able to have a laptop that is this powerful and is essentially more powerful than my desktop was so I at least have a computer I can continue to use while I do not have a desktop. First world problems I guess.

Checked Newegg again for the hell of it today to see if there are any updates and now it is being listed as "OUT OF STOCK This item is currently out of stock and it may or may not be restocked" FML...hoping the card is not discontinued or will still be coming back in stock. I have all the water cooling parts I need, dual radiators etc etc...really don't want to resort to buying an air cooled card and not WCing my GPU, or having to spend more money on a GPU + Block now that is compatible with it and don't want to pay $1200+ for one on ebay or a used one....I don't even know what to do now. Can't believe I got this far in my build and everything seems to be falling apart on this one piece now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1st world problems!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cryptos just crashed really hard, maybe gpus will soon get cheaper and available again

Raiderman and KY_BULLET like this.
  8. KY_BULLET

KY_BULLET Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope so, been wanting to go SLI but just can't justify those crazy prices.

Charlie

9. paulofeg

paulofeg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    sli is so worth it you see my desktop specs well i decided to go crazy with my laptop specs as well.
    I need me 4k 60fps and at the moment without sli its extremely hard.
    Linking my laptop specs in the other thread.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  10. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great, I just purchased a 1080 ftw for $650 :( Thought it was a pretty good price.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Mr. Fox likes this.