*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I ordered and installed the Cooler Master "Cyro" AIO cooler and so far I can't recommend it.

If you don't turn on the TEC/Cyro cooler then it will heat rapidly. It managed to crash my perfectly stable 5Ghz OC that I haven't had crash a single time since 10900K came out. The CPU almost immediately went red in CB23 followed by a crash to protect itself. Great, lets turn on the TEC cooler features and see what happens then shall we.

Turned on the TEC cooler and it immediately cooled down the CPU to around 10c idle temps in "Cryo" mode which is the recommended and daily safe operation mode. It heats my 10900K to about 65C at just 5Ghz. My h115i platinum 280mm AIO would run about 60C under same conditions so I am confused how this is supposed to be better considering the damn thing was draw well north of 100w just to run the cooler.

At low CPU loads like gaming it does run cooler around 35-45c at 5Ghz, but my h115i did around 45-55c so not really a huge improvement. When you consider it doesn't offer any higher headroom and the price, avoid. Unless I discover a glaring installation error this thing is headed back to Newegg.

Edit: I should add there is an "unregulated mode" that greats you with a warning that this mode can cause damage as it has the ability to cool below dewpoint and can cause condensation and we all know that isn't good. I did try the mode and it does cool the CPU to 0c (actually it's below 0c, but the temp can't be read accurately at 0 and below) but I don't think you can run this mode at all times.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Ashtrix, Papusan, electrosoft and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Dang, that is worse than I expected. I'm glad I cancelled the EK Cryo waterblock thingamajig. I got to thinking about it and it didn't make good sense. It's not big enough. It would need to be at least 3 or 4 times larger to work as well as a water chiller because the part that does the cooling can only make a tiny amount of water cold at any given time. Then the radiator will just turn right around heat it back up to at least ambient temperatures almost immediately.

Ashtrix, Papusan, electrosoft and 3 others like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    3dmark11-P-52843-10900K-3090KPE.JPG
    3dmark11-P-53002-10900K-3090KPE.JPG

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Run it in that mode and boot into windows. Lower your cpu clock speed to 5.0 ghz once in windows and leave everything else as is. Open hwinfo sensor page, click the gear, put a checkmark in "Accept negative temperatures" click ok. Your motherboard will also show negative temps.
    negative-temps.JPG
    That means -11. You can also set the debug to show this as well. Not the negative part but it goes back to zero and then starts counting up. You know this by watching the oled screen.
    20201231_022240-RS.jpg
    Wait a bit to see if it starts to go negative while at idle. Once done looking at that, open up cpuz and run it's stress benchmark. See how high the cores go. Open your over clocking software and go up 1 multiplier and watch and see if it keeps running. wait for a bit then do it again. The reason for this is to see if it will hold your cpu below 50C as you move up to your max over clock. if at anytime you start to over run the cooler, then stop test and let it cool back or go ahead and change the mode back to normal.

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Sounds like it is great for benching with unregulated mode but for day to day clocks it is equal at best and subpar when pushed with much more fuss and muss.

Maybe try some big benches with it in unregulated mode to see how that works, but overall for the price:performance in day to day, it seems it may be a big, steaming mug of "meh."

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks will go give this a try.

Before I headed to bed last night I did some more testing and adjusted the hoses off the cooler a bit to see if anything was causing an issue. But I think I'm just learning that this cooler is great for short and light burst loads like gaming. What it does allow for is high clockspeed are pretty insanely low temps. I compared to one of my older Battlefield V videos and the temperature was actually about halved. I'm not sure how I misremembered that, but feeling better a bit better after discovering that. I will continue to test this cooler over the next week or so before making any decisions.

https://imgur.com/a/EutPA5C

Battlefield V Ultra Multiplayer Conquest @ 4K 160Hz. This is in the standard Cryo mode.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    In case anyone that installs an Ampere GPU starts having an annoyingly loud and rapid 4-beep BIOS code when UEFI with CSM or Legacy BIOS is enabled, this is normal. It's not indicative of an issue with your mobo or GPU. It is an annoyance related to Ampere and not a mainboard or GPU defect. It does not affect functionality.

Beeps with 3090 FTW | EVGA Forums and TUF RTX 3090 4 RAPID BEEPS ON BIOS STARTUP | ROG Forums

Placing a piece of electrical tape over the hole in the motherboard's speaker dramatically reduced the magnitude of the beeping. It is still audible, but very faint and no longer annoying.

8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Win 8.1 is much better for benching on the old than the bloated Win 10. You'll never be able to remove everything from Win 10 to make it run better than it's predecessor. But Win 8.1 is only tasty for benching and nothhing more.

Win 7...
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/4643318_papusan_cinebench___2003_core_i5_5200u_1467_points/
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/2995499_pasatoiutd_wprime___32m_core_i5_5200u_16sec_552ms/
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/4644286_papusan_wprime___32m_core_i5_5200u_16sec_466ms/
    [​IMG]

I will probably take most of the golds for https://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i5_5200u/ with Win 8.1

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, Johnksss and 2 others like this.
  9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Escapee World Champ. LOL

10. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Bah, I can top that.... (Loads up GTX 1060 6GB)....

Seriously though, 2700+ on core? Sheesh.

Johnksss likes this.