*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the floodgates will open with the Ampere Super refresh. Nvidia doesn't seem like they really want to sell their Samsung dies based on their behavior.

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Wow you position number has dropped quite a bit! There’s not a whole lot of people ahead of you man. You should have your 3080 pretty soon.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why would my PC power off while playing “Death Stranding” with the XOC bios ??

I flashed to the Galax XOC bios. And it runs through anything else just fine.. Timespy stress test, Timespy extreme test. This only happens with the XOC 2K watt bios. Death stranding works fine with normal Galax 380 watt bios.

Deathstranding uses more CPU power than any other game I’ve ever played. So maybe it is a combination of the system power overwhelming my PSU?

Is my PSU dying?? Too much current moving through video card??

I realllyyyyy like this Galaxy XOC bios. But unfortunately I may have to flash back to my normal 380 watt Galax bios instead.

I have a Seasonic 1200 prime platinum PSU. I figured it’s enough for my components easily.

Also, I have tried de-soldering both shunts and the results are the same. Maybe the Galaxy XOC bios isn’t game stable? I dunno. I really would enjoy it as a daily if possible.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    Best locally was a 700w Thermaltake $60 special with a single PCIe lead so that would be an exercise in futility.
    Waiting to hear back from EVGA on the T2 850w issue (I'm at the help desk portion of the journey where you need a ticket # to submit a warranty claim). Basically, If I dial everything back to ~400w total, it will sometimes work.
    Push it any harder and it will eventually start clicking and reset. My system will stutter and total pull drops to ~175-275w and stay there.
    The tripping point seems to be ~500w-550w
    I ordered a Corsair AX1200 from Best Buy since everything else was crazy expensive and GPU + Memory purchases have me licking my wounds. We'll see how that goes and start working backwards.

EDIT: Another thing since PSUClickGate is the CPU fans ramp up and down for no reason at all. CPU is sitting in the 30's and they just ramp up because...well...why not (they never did that before). Also, my lower M.2 bay on my Z390 FTW no longer works atm. I had to move my 970 pro up top. MB might have popped too.

I'll be heading out to a buddy's house in a bit and dragging my desktop and laptop with me to test as much individual components as possible in his Z490 Dark, 10900k Corsair AXi1600 powered FTW3 3090 tower of power to sort out as much as I can what's going on. He also has a spare EVGA 1000w G2 on the shelf I can at least test with while swapping components if needed with his system.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Johnksss likes this.
  5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Buying a quality PSU is always the way to go. Hardware nowadays can pull some serious juice.

But I shop thrifty if possible. I bought my Seasonic Platinum prime 1200 for $84 dollars on eBay.

I am running in to some power issues my self. But I think my outlet may actually be the culprit. My PC will just power off and restart. This started since using this crazy 2K watt XOC bios on my 2080Ti. And when both components are loaded (CPU/GPU) it results in tons of powers draw. My CPU and 2080Ti combined can pull 1,200 watts so I think I’m possibly hitting the limits.

My CPU can hit over 750 watts, and my GPU has gone above 460 watts alone. So, I think I need a larger higher wattage and higher amperage PSU.

It seems crazy to think that my PC could be consuming this much power. But then again I’ve seen the numbers these components can use. And I’m getting power shut downs.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How a quasi-monopoly will drive power supply prices up from 2021 - meaningless certificates for untested power supplies included | Investigative igorslab.de

-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------

3DMark—The Gamer’s Benchmark get more bloated videocardz.de

3DMark is the benchmark that gives you more than a score. The new result screen introduces new features that help you compare your score with similar systems and see what your 3DMark score means in terms of real-world game performance.

The new benchmark result screen is available now in all 3DMark editions. Game performance estimates are only available in 3DMark Advanced Edition and 3DMark Professional Edition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wonder when they will remove the old Classic search

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    When was this power supply purchased?

Early Prime and Focus PSU's had the same OCP mechanism as the later X-series, which caused transient shutdowns on Vega 64. And it seems it's causing people with 3080 and 3090's problems also. Having a X-1050 (SS-1050XP) Platinum did not protect you from it.
    When Seasonic rebranded their PSU's with PX, TX, GX, etc, and made the OneSeasonic initiative, allowing any of their PSU cables to be interchangeable with other models, they reworked the (DC?) side which prevents this problem from happening.

My Prime PX-1000 Platinum PSU (March 2020) has no problems with a 550 watt 3090 FE shunt modded heat furnace.

electrosoft likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Very ugly.
    The bot want all info as in pict https://hwbot.org/news/11440_application_138_rules/
    [​IMG]

And this is with 1080P. The new new result screen is awful.

https://hwbot.org/submission/461305...rike_ultra_hd_graphics_520_(mobile)_237_marks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://hwbot.org/submission/4613007_papusan_pyprime_core_i3_6100u_19sec_11ms
    [​IMG]

temp00876 and Rage Set like this.
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought it used. There’s no telling how old it is. I experienced the issue with my first X299 motherboard too. I thought it was the motherboard not mixing well with my 7980XE overclocked too high. So I purchased a x299 dark, and it resolved the issue. But now it has come up again with this high voltage XOC GPU bios. Maybe my PSU is affected by the problem.

10. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    What happens when you purposely dial back the CPU OC so total pull fits well below the wattage envelope of the PSU and push the XOC pull? Does it still shut down? Maybe differentiate between shut down due to PSU total overload versus an issue with your GPU overall pull.