*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Nothing wrong with that builds. Looks great. I paid $140 per rad (with a 15% discount reducing it to $120 each) for 4x480mm thick rads. Specifically hardwarelabs black ice nemesis gtx 480mm rads.

But not everyone needs the thick boys, nor can all cases fit them with 25mm thick fans on.

What matters is getting your feet wet, metaphorically (if literal, check your fittings and seals).

I still use XSPC for fittings for decent price and not overly costly. But you can even find a deal at times on Bitspower costing about the same. All that matters is you find decent products at decent prices and get started.

For example, a raystorm pro has the same core engine of the raystorm neo, if going for low restriction blocks. You can pick up the older model blocks with the same performance for 1/2 to 3/4 of the price of the newest block.

It's always good to be a smart consumer. Look for if the internals are the same and get the best value (unless going for looks, then pay what fits).

Papusan, tps3443 and Rage Set like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Update.
    Intel is refunding me my 752.49 for the 10900K as they seem to be currently out of stock. I check my local Microcenter and they seem to have plenty of stock at 539.99.

Still waiting on what Asus has to say. Board is under repair and wait status as far as I can tell.

@Mr. Fox
    20190101001523_rs.jpg 20190101002427_rs.jpg

Edit:
    New chip is a SP 92

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Talon, Mr. Fox, electrosoft and 5 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    NVIDIA expects a few more months of supply constraints of GeForce RTX 30 videocardz.de

AMD is facing similar problems with its just-announced Radeon RX 6800 series, which were apparently at even lower supply than GeForce RTX 30 series. In many cases, retailers did not even bother to take preorders for the cards, as none have arrived.

Can add in this:D Why push out more cards than they must? LOOL
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...00-gpus-on-oct-28.834078/page-9#post-11059716

Robbo99999, Rage Set, Mr. Fox and 4 others like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I have been running a ghetto water loop for about 3 months now. Essentially an expanded AIO with a reservoir and another radiator too. The radiators were not that good though being made of aluminum, and if I would have added my 2080Ti in to the loop pulling 400 watts, with a 7980XE that already idles on the desktop at 200 watts. It would have just overwhelmed my whole setup.

I had to ditch the whole thing, and move to a full custom loop.

I was able to save a lot of money on Chinese fittings. The Barrow 10x16 compression fittings in all black were $11 dollars for (4) of them on Amazon, a really really good deal.

Still waiting on a few more pieces to finish the build.

The hardest thing of all with watercooling parts for me, they are all so blingy and very flashy. So I was having a hard time finding just black parts with no RGB, without spending too much.

I love the EKWB magnitude block, or the foundry waterblocks but they’re too expensive for my budget. Fortunately I can easily upgrade down the road.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  5. NeXt3R

NeXt3R Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi masters
    need small help :D 7820hk /msi GT75 7re

how to test PLL voltage "works or not" ???

1.175 voltage + 0.055 offset + 0.045 load ,,,now + 0.045 PLL offset
    but still get 1.230idle/1.275V load "where is PLL offset" ??? or is invisible ?

still testing ,,,idea is use PLL voltage for lower vcore ??
    its possitible ??

Bez názvu.png

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Really sorry to hear that, Brother John. That sucks. That was a really great CPU. I am really dissatisfied with ASUS. I love their firmware, but their hardware reliability seems poor to me. Maybe I just keep drawing short straws with their mobos, but after this happened to both of us, I am scratching them off my list of acceptable brands.

7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting to hear back about it and whether it was my fault or faulty hardware.
    New CPU seems to be a keeper so far, but kind of scared to do anything with it on this board....

Mr. Fox and Rage Set like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, seems like a pretty big risk trying to use it in the ASUS mobo.

Are you planning to grab a Kingpin Dark to replace it?

:vbeek: wow... was that just a lucky accidental win in the lottery, or did you buy it pre-binned?

Interesting that they still say they have no stock. They were available from multiple sources when they gave me a refund for the CPU that my ASUS board killed. I wonder if because it is being covered under the overclocking "Performance Tuning" warranty they don't want the hassle of an unhappy overclocker if the replacement is a crappy silicon sample... meaning that they are just saying they have no stock to avoid any drama if they send a piece of crap to replace a good one.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Rage Set and Johnksss like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you have an unlocked BIOS you should find that on the CPU power management menu under IA AC and DC Loadline. If you set it to 100 it should help.

If you do not have an unlocked BIOS it is not going to be accessible.

10. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I have no plans on keeping this board. I only got it to make sure my CPU was still good. And it proved the CPU was not in 100% working order.

Microcenter doesn't have any Kingpin boards as of yet, but I could order one from EVGA. The main problem is you can not run Nvlink on any of those boards at the current time as their is no 3 slot bridge only a 4 slot bridge. So none of these alleged high end boards can run Nvlink 3090's without a riser card.

They just grabbed that CPU out of the case. Nothing fancy. Same when I got the first one. So I'm going with luck of the draw.

No, they actually did not have any as the person working on my case... We talked for many many hours in a very good way. He basically had my case done in 1 day.
    They did have some KF's sitting around though, but they said that would be a downgrade. Plus a serious cash loss as well.

Not sure of the condition of those RMA CPU's either. So you could be right as the tuning plan is only for over clocking CPU's.
    All in all it was a pretty damn good experience from tech support.

Papusan, Rage Set and tps3443 like this.