*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I would love to overclock one, but I want a 4K gamer and for $50...

I'd still consider one because I agree with hardware unboxed that RT and DLSS are still niche. But it is empirically better, so nvidia 3080 looks good. But if I cannot find one until February, I'll skip another gen, painfully.

Edit: also, think of a beast water block on it. Engaging rage dropped performance at times, like GN saw, likely due to extra heat. But on water...

Rage Set and Talon like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    So after getting crash after crash after crash running Black Ops Cold War, I started doing some checking. After a fresh install and setting factory settings in bios I still get crash after crash trying to play that game. Well come to find out I check the event viewer and see a bunch of Whea-logging errors:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
    Processor APIC ID: 8

So, it looks like the CPU is bad as well. Started the process on a replacement for it last night.
    While I was taking pictures for Intel I took a really good look at it using my Microscope again and there is a very very tiny hole in one of the pads. We are talking needle point tiny and that is causing the CPU to throw errors.

Damn, and that was a 5.8 ghz chip. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Mr. Fox, electrosoft, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Now nvidia needs to hurry and release what ever crap they have so I can have what I want at lower prices :)

Im comfy still, but would love to have a 5900x/6800XT/4Ghz mem in my TU150

Probably get something like 500-600 for my stuff so hopefully I have my P750ZM back during that time to hold me over until the prices come down and start hunting for a deal.

electrosoft, ajc9988 and Rage Set like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok guys so my watercooling parts are slowly pouring in. I’m gonna ramp my 2080Ti to 6800XT performance level in no time. I went all black with everything.

I had this 2080Ti breaking 17K timespy on air cooling. So I am very excited to see what I can get out of it running well under 50C. It is nothing short of amazing how fast a 2080Ti can become, when you set them up properly. Which is exactly why I have decided to keep it!

Black rads, black fans, black tubing, black fittings, black vector acetal waterblocks, black everything!!!

BLACK BLACK BLACK!!! The ole 7980XE and 2080Ti rig will be a beast hanging with the rest in 2021!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Mr. Fox, electrosoft, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  5. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I need to pull this out to dust it, but:

[​IMG]

Edit: 4x480s and a lasko 20" wind machine for push pull.

Edit 2: I don't always cool server racks, but when i do...

Rage Set and Papusan like this.
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I take it this is for personal use?

Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Yes. Just wanted to move all the systems to a server rack in another room for quiet. If I was doing a professional build, I'd be using EK distributor block for doing quick disconnects to each system. Would do a professional HVAC fan to reduce servicing. Have the frame welded, then powder finished for the radiators. Probably would have looked at a single 360x480 rad to fully fit within the standard rack. Or order one of these:
    https://koolance.com/liquid-cooling-system-alr-4500a

8. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    That Koolance ALR-4500 looks pretty damn nice! Although I have zero clients that would need or want to buy it or any water cooling for that matter for their servers.

Rage Set, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    These EKWB SE classic rads are pretty amazing for $56 dollars a piece. Lots of copper too! I just can’t see spending nearly double on some of these other rads.

With CPU waterblock, GPU block, rads, fittings, pump, reservoir, and tubing. Being as thrifty as possible on Amazon and eBay. I spent $450 dollars as easy as pie. I could see going north of $1,000 quite easy with a custom loop, especially buying all name brand parts and going with the best components.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    ajc9988 likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hehe, I'm gonna do it, you ain't gonna stop me! I'm sure it will be relevant in ray traced games up to 180 fps / 180 Hz. GPU should last me a while! (Maybe I can do some downsampling too to eat up the overhead.)

Papusan and Rage Set like this.