*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The last Asus board I had, a Z390 Strix, failed and fried the 9900k that it was paired with so I have similar feelings (although it turned out for the best since it moved me over to AM4 and I can get a 5950x to replace my 3950x whenever they're actually available).

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    If my year+ using a 5700xt is any indication, you will be more than happy. If I had not upgraded with specific targets in mind with 4k and RT as priorities, I would still be using my 5700xt with my ZR30W (2560x1600) display. The only problem I had were occasional BSODs with browser hardware acceleration (especially watching YT videos) enabled which lasted even into September 2020 across two different brands of 5700xt. I haven't had a single crash since switching to Nvidia. If RT wasn't a priority and my game playing priorities lay primarily based upon WoW and always running it full tilt, I'd probably (and still may) resume Team Red enjoyment.

I tried a Samsung G7 before returning it and my laptop has a 144hz panel and I'm still trying to get all the hype with "mega frames." Smoother? Yah, but nothing that would make it the top priority. When I had the G7, I purposely turned down the settings on WoW to have it blasting 150-200 frames everywhere and used it for a couple days and walked away indifferent. But then again I'm the same guy who runs his various gaming mouses stock. :rolleyes: But like you said, based on your 1440p Ultrawide 144hz min, any of the new cards are going to be excellent for you so you can sit back and pick and choose.

And Nvidia absolutely isn't able to dole out cards like they would have preferred (Coming Spring 2021! SUPER variants! You're welcome....clap please) with AMD being so magnificently disruptive in the best way. I love it.

Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Looks like intel my make this backward compatible with older CPUs.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    No power, no fans, no psu fans, no gpu fans, no clicks no anything. You know how manufactures show you just the LED's on a motherboard for display, well that's what this board was doing. You flip the power supply switch and the LED's come on, then touch any of the 4 buttons to kick the board on and nothing.

5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone ever buy from formulaMOD?

They sell parts so dirt cheap!

I found solid copper 360MM round tube radiators for $69.99.

And copper/brass Barrow or Byski 360MM
    Radiators are $30 dollars!

Check out the round tube radiators, full copper for $70 bucks. That seems like It would offer unparalleled performance in something this size, for this cost. I really want to order (2) of them and try them out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Personal best 3800 Mhz in a laptop. :)
    [​IMG]

tps3443, Rage Set and Papusan like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    So looks like the 6800XT is great at 1080p and 1440p, 3080 for 4k and RT.

Rage Set and Talon like this.
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    After watching quite a few videos this morning the 3080 and 6800XT certainly look neck and neck with each other depending on the title, with the 6800XT being somewhat better at 1080p (if that matters at this price point) with the 3080 being better at 4K and definitely better at ray tracing, not even including DLSS. SAM (aka resizeable bar support) looks to be very beta with some testers reporting crashing, OS corruption and some flat out refusing to review it since it's such a beta state. RAGE mode is nothing more than upper the power limit with a fancy name and toggleable button in their software. In studio workloads Nvidia looks took have a clear advantage as well.

For me, considering the drivers and software suite, DLSS, RT performance, I would easily spend the $50 for the Nvidia card, but I also game at 4K and DLSS is HUGE factor in my decision. I've been playing COD Cold War recently, and DLSS at 4K Ultra settings lets me play multiplayer at 141fps locked (GPU usage below 99%) because I turn off RT. But it is nice to see AMD competitive again and hopefully pushes Nvidia to get us 7 or hopefully 5nm cards sooner than planned.

Supply sucks for both, but Nvidia looks to have had more cards on launch day. On a side note I was able to sell my 3070 FTW3 step up card from EVGA for $750 cash this morning :)

Edit: I had the 6800 XT in my cart, PayPal ready to check out but I paused, watched a few videos and by the time I came back it was gone. So I could have had one. I will possibly grab a 6900XT to test. I figure if it's bad I can sell it anyways.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Welp, that happened
    The 6800XT has more overclocking headroom, a lot more. I wonder how much the 6900XT will overclock. I'm actually excited.

ajc9988, Papusan and Talon like this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From what I've seen so far, not really. Sure you can crank the clock up, but the performance does not seem to scale. In some cases performance dropped. But who knows what this guy is doing and the power limit and temps are likely the culprit here, once those are unlocked performance might just scale like crazy. Still early days. 6900XT could be fun to toy with if it does scale.

Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.