*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

RDNA 2 consoles ray trace below minimum PC ray trace settings available. This is likely why we didn't hear much from AMD on the ray tracing front for their new GPUs.

Edit: But ray tracing in this game looks really good. So maybe just a terrible example since it was an Nvidia title.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    tps3443 and electrosoft like this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Ok, you are correct. Around 12:40-12:48

Talon likes this.
  3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea there was only 5 of those remaining. So yeah I would literally have an empty spot on the rad for a fan lol.
    That’s it! Lol.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and ajc9988 like this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was seriously getting worried with the claims of 2080Ti performance level out of a series X? That video seems to put that to rest real quick.

I can’t play on console, I suck so bad with a controller. I just can’t aim.

So the 2060 Super is actually performing roughly the same, running native 4K.

5. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought the performance claims on the new consoles sounded outlandish. My suspicions have been confirmed.

Consoles typically have the performance of a mid range gaming PC at the time of their release.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Same here. Nor do I have any desire to gain skill with one. I hate consoles and controllers. They suck. I am lethal with a keyboard and mouse. About the only thing I can do OK with using a controller is Mortal Kombat.

I am open to having a compelling reason to change my mind, but I am always extremely skeptical of anything AMD brings to the table, especially with GPUs. I have had nothing but horrible experiences with everything they have sold since they bought out ATI. I used to be an ATI fanboy years ago. It has been a super long time since they have offered anything compelling in graphics cards, and I have found them extremely unreliable and prone to failure. The last good notebook GPU I owned from Team Red was before the 6970M was released. From the 6000-series forward it has been nothing but rubbish as far as I am concerned. I am going to have to see a mountain of evidence before I am willing to embrace an AMD GPU. There is no way in hell I would consider being an early adopter. I'll gladly watch others spend their money and see what they accomplish (or don't accomplish) before reaching for my wallet.

This is when the first spark of hate for AMD GPUs began for me: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/2017247

I had to go waaaayyyy back in my 3DMark history to find this, LOL. Seems even longer ago than it was.
    upload_2020-11-13_16-31-30.png

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Johnksss, Robbo99999, tps3443 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Bro, I know how you like to dive into the nuts and bolts of things and if the 6000 series has the same powerplay mod capabilities as the 5000 series, that is where the fun of overclocking is. My recent OC'ing experience with AMD is limited to the R7 but it did give me another set of challenges to overcome versus Nvidia's locked down vBIOS. Plus the 6900XT might be the first AMD card to challenge some overclockers with the 3090 in the right hands. I am very curious to see how far I will be able to push that card with "normal" water cooling. I am keeping an open mind on this generation of GPUs from both companies.

Johnksss, ajc9988, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  8. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    ‘Ditto, I’m extremely curious for the real reviews but if RT performance isn’t up to snuff that’s a deal breaker for me. 3090 on WoW ultra 10 RT enabled 4K is holding at 52-70fps.

Mr. Fox, Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Yeah, we both know their RT performance, even best case through synthetic benchmarks, won't compete with Nvidia's implementation. Is that a factor for me? No, I only game on 1440p ultrawides and I rarely enable RT in games. For you, it will.

Since I'm reluctant to play games at 4K (I need 144hz or higher, no going back now), I think this generation of AMD will suit me very well and I honestly would have never thought that in the past. Plus at least we know the 6900XT will be AMD's top card for this generation, we can't say that with Nvidia. With a 3080 Ti and Titan card rumored, Nvidia is stepping all over themselves and early buyers.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I am definitely keeping an open mind and I will follow your results with great curiosity and interest. I always say that I don't practice brand loyalty, and that is very true. I am quick to forgive people and live by the Golden Rule (we all need forgiveness, especially me,) but I am very slow to forgive companies that produce garbage and screw me. I will gladly embrace AMD if they give me a compelling reason to by ticking all of the boxes on my list. They are simply going to have to overcome the mental block their decade+ of abject failure has created in my mind and soften the hardness of my heart toward them that their massive incompetence has created. Nothing would make me happier, in the end, than being to be able to kick Intel and NVIDIA to the curb. I have been mostly happy with their results, but I am rapidly growing weary of both of their stupidass shenanigans.

I am right there with you on the ray tracing. It is visually better, but by a small measurement, and I do not need any ray tracing at all to enjoy the little bit of gaming that I do once in a while. Gaming is of modest importance and value to me. It's not as worthless to me as G-stink though. At least I can see a little bit of value in the ray tracing, whereas G-stink (and FreeStync) is totally worthless to me.

The only thing that keeps me interested in computers is overclocking and the future of my interest hangs by a thread on how that turns out. Therein lies AMDs greatest challenge. No matter how great stock performance turns out to be, if I can't overclock the crap out of it to get more and do something remarkably greater than the masses I will have no pleasure in owning the product. I am praying for great things in the overclocking realm so I will have something I can care about.

Factor in what an absolutely ludicrous s-show Windows 10 has become and the future of being a PC enthusiast hangs by a thread for me. The one entity that has the greatest potential for destroying everything I care about in relation to computers is the cluster of dumbass losers in Redmond. They are on a massive losing streak and failing hard. Their fiasco makes Intel's failures seem minor and inconsequential. My contempt for them is beyond measure because their nonsense is deliberate and unworthy of any honor or respect.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Papusan, electrosoft and Rage Set like this.