*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It is technically only Intel 1200 pin compatible.
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantumx-delta-tec

Linus said you might technically be able to run it in unregulated mode on anything, which then I wonder if the footprint is enough for the x299, but doesn't seem like it initially.

There are some bios settings that are needed, etc.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Me neither, I use headphones and it still drives me insane.

electrosoft likes this.
  3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    isn’t coil whine a normal function of a GPU when running unrestricted FPS at low resolution?

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes. Turning on Vsync normally makes the noise go away, or significantly reduces the volume.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not on that card, it only changed the pitch, not the dB

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You would need to mod it to use on X299, Ryzen or bare die 10th Gen as the bottom of it is designed to fit over the ILM (unfortunately). But, this seems like it could do the same job as a water chiller for half the cost. I like it and I think I want one. It would be perfect if it worked with a bare die. I wonder how cold I could make things using it with the water chiller since the temperatures are very similar? Or, maybe I can sell my water chiller and free up a little space in my office.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Johnksss, Rage Set, Talon and 2 others like this.
  7. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I run @ 4k and capped at 60fps (display limit), G-sync enabled.

Card runs great, but the coil whine is going to force my hand. I know most don't care, but it is a deal breaker for me.

To add insult to injury.....

I received my EVGA 1300w PSU from Amazon today and it is clearly used and clearly DOA.

8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, if the ML360 TEC performance is anything to go by, I think you would be very limited compared to the liquid chiller.

upload_2020-11-10_15-40-23.png

As you can see, the AIO starts being about the same with the regular AIO around 230W, and any HEDT Intel chip clocked high enough can blow by that. Hell, my 1950X would say hello, goodbye under load.

The TEC used is only large enough and tuned for a lower wattage power solution. So modified it could work great with Ryzen 5000 systems, funny enough. But, for our beefier toys, we'd have to swap out the TEC peltier for a larger one, then retune the controller for use with the larger peltier, while throwing another 6 pin or so on it to feed it, etc.

But if EK and CoolerMaster are making this for Intel's comet lake and upcoming rocket lake (8-core), if enough people grab them, then it may spread.

This really is one of the best implementations of TEC I've ever seen. I forgot which boutique system builder a couple year's ago used a similar solution. Either way, they stopped after a generation or two. But they had a similar solution of baseplate, TEC, coldplate for the liquid cooler, and top/hoses going to a custom loop. I just cannot remember their name, but I liked it.

Didn't have the control on the TEC that this does, though, as that TEC was on all the time and had a different control solution, IIRC.

In any case, wait to see if they get a beefier one before making the switch. We are still limited by the TEC they used, and using the water chiller on the hot side, although it helps for efficiency, you become limited before you will get the most out of it, and you may even overpower it and run hotter than with the chiller.

But, still REALLY cool of Intel to help design this. Their engineers are good, always said that. They just hit some issues on manufacturing process and that backed everything up, then instead of backporting, they pushed forward, then by the time they changed course, the entire industry caught up on process or passed them. On microarchitecture, they technically have designs where Zen 4 and Golden Cove should have similar IPC. Just Alder will be on 10nm and Zen 4 on the new 5nm. So process will play a role. But rumors do have Alder running faster than tiger, which topped at 4.8GHz single core stock, so that IS good news. Just a question if AMD will keep having increases in speed like they have been.

Seems like we really are getting into that good stuff coming up!

Ashtrix, Johnksss, Rage Set and 2 others like this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think this new cooler is best for people who mostly use their systems for gaming rather than those who have lots of productivity workloads.

Paired with an i5 10600k or an i7 10700k, you could overclock the crap out of them for the best possible gaming performance they can offer. That's the ideal use case for a TEC.

It'd be nice if TECs weren't super inefficient, because they require craploads of power to work. I'm hopeful the technology will further improve over time.

ajc9988 likes this.
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:

It's only been almost 200 years since Jean Charles Athanase Peltier discovered electricity between dissimilar metals would cause the production of heat/cooling. Let's give it some time... Hah but in all seriousness it would be fun to play around with one of these...

Johnksss, Rage Set, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.