*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    tps3443 and Papusan like this.
  2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That’s why I settled on a 7980XE used for $800 bucks. Amazing gaming performance at 4.8Ghz. The multithreaded capability is no slouch compared to high end chips either. Obviously there’s still faster CPU’s but the cost to get there is very high.

Also I cannot believe the 3175X uses thermal paste as TIM. I figured intel would solder these for sure. I wonder what someone could even overclock a 3175X to daily and sustain with just exotic water cooling, no chiller.

TheDantee likes this.
  3. tps3443

Reputations:
    @Papusan

I have a base line for the performance of my system, I know exactly what it scores in R15 or R20. And for some reason my scores have gone down about 2% across the board. I know it is my OS. And it is something sucking the life somewhere from it. But, I can't figure out where else to look. I know your the man with OS performance optimization. I could never quite make my 8086k as fast as your 8700K.

I could normally power on my system, and even with MSI AB running, rivatuner running, and windows virus enabled, firewalls enabled. I could run R20 and pull around 11,210 about every single run.

But, now even with all apps closed, antivirus disabled, firewall disabled, higher priority in R20 I am scoring around 11,034. And it doesn't get better run after run. Just scores the same. I actually saw one R20 run hit 10,900.

I cannot figure it out. I really don't want to reinstall windows. But, my performance has degraded from something.

If only I wasn't so OCD about this stuff it is ridiculous lol.

Any ideas?

4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    You are sure you run exactly same settings (Ram, cpu etc)? Same ram? No changed drivers? Have you checked if you see any changes in Reliability Monitor? Checked WUB, O&O Shutup, Privatezilla, WPD or whatever software you use for stopping Microsoft's madness? Could also be from corruption if you have had some crashes. Many reasons for changes.

I'm sure you have tested with other clock speed. Same there as well? What with stock clocks? Same for all type benchmark tests?

tps3443 likes this.
  5. tps3443

Reputations:
    Yes I have tried reducing clock speeds. I know the scores with lower speeds. It is just low for some reason. I am transferring some data, and I am going to reinstall.

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey well that's not bad to be only 10th in line for getting there just 30mins early! Does your FTW3 Ultra power throttle at all then? I guess you've maxed out the Power Slider in overclock software? What is the max percentage figure on your Power Slider, for the higher power cards it seems to be lower because the power limit is already higher at stock - I remember seeing some cards on Guru3d with only a 104% max figure allowable on the Power Slider.

7. tps3443

Reputations:
    Anyone seen these Corsair 1000D cases? I am interested in one of these. Finally a case that I could fit anything I wanted inside. (2) 480MM radiators in the front, and a 420MM in the top! And a 240MM on the back.

This is a serious super tower!

$499.99 is pretty steep. But not insane by any means for a case of this magnitude.

https://www.newegg.com/black-corsai...ower&cm_re=Super_tower-_-11-139-123-_-Product

8. tps3443

Reputations:
    I am loving this new DDR4 quad channel set. Samsung B-Die on A2 DDR4 sticks is just so easy to overclock, and I suppose they really do look nice, the gold and RGB has grown on me! I was already running 3733Mhz quad-channel before. But they were the worst quality of any ram you could probably purchase, using high-quality memory has allowed me to run much tighter timmings and at a slightly faster frequency too. So, it is about 25% higher bandwidth. And around 35% lower latency. I will never buy cheap memory again. Unsure about any performance benefit in games yet. Maybe who knows.

Oh and Skylake X runs 1T so easily. I’ve run this same setup in hci memtest, and it passes for an hour with fans pointing on my DDR4 modules. I know that’s not very long. But, good enough for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Johnksss and Rage Set like this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I was going to pick one up as I love huge cases but I found that I change hardware wayyy to often to use a case. Now I only use one case for my gaming rig and all of my other rigs are on wet benches.

DreDre and tps3443 like this.
  10. tps3443

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

That’s what I am debating over right now. My main system is in my signature, and it is always getting messed with or taken apart frequently. So, I am considering a praxis test bench as my daily case also.

When I saw the 1000D I thought it might work because there’s so much room inside, I could literally fit both arms with room to spare all around the motherboard, I found a company that sells them for $366 dollars brand new shipped. So it is really hard to beat that. But then again, I would like an open bench for ease of access.

My current case has no front panel, no door, no side panel, and I am considering drilling the rivers and removing the top portion of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rage Set likes this.