*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You also have a good CPU sample and that definitely seems to be a major contributor. It doesn't seem I can give mine enough voltage to bench it stable past 5.5GHz. I have gone up to 1.700V with the chiller getting the CPU core temps down to near zero and 5.6GHz is bootable and can do a CPU-Z bench/validation. That's it. If I try running a 3DMark test, wPrime, Cinebench, or just about anything else, I get BSOD with WHEA or IRQL NOT LESS THAN issues. 5.7GHz is not bootable even into the BIOS. I have to clear the CMOS. Otherwise, just a black screen and no boot.

That definitely helps. I haven't hit 90°C but I think the more distance there is to the max temp threshold the better the CPU behaves.

Papusan and Johnksss like this.
  2. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Your temps are near zero, mine are -50@die and And maybe -11 to -30 in windows. Hard to tell as it only shows -11 Max.

And this cpu is average. As I could not boot past 53 before.
    Might try to grab another one and see if its really average or not.

And the higher temps are more for those with everyday clocks and cooling. :)

Edit:

Your GPU is bomb! Mine can't get past 2175/2050.

temp00876, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I keep forgetting about that, LOL. My CPU might do as well if I were getting it that cold. Not sure. Will yours run stable above 5.5GHz with the chiller, or only with the phase change pushing it to sub-zero temps?

I am really pleased with this GPU. It was average before it got shunt modded and had the ability to lie to the firmware about how much it was consuming in terms of volts and watts. The shunt mod turned this GPU, the 2080 Ti before it and my old 1080 Ti into real monsters with the right firmware. (Shunt mod alone wasn't enough because the stock firmware was crap, too.) The 2080 Ti I had before I got this FTW3 from Brother @Rage Set was ruined by Micron memory though. The core overclocked nicely, but the Micron memory absolutely sucked.

I am not sure how much better a 3080 or 3090 would perform compared to this modded FTW3. But, I would like to get my hands on a 3090 and do the same hack job to it after good firmware surfaces.

Edit:
    I forgot to ask. Are you using LN2 mode with the phase change? If you are could that also be having some effect on CPU behavior? I've never enabled LN2 mode before since I don't know what it does exactly, and I have never done sub-zero cooling. I wish you did not live so far away. If you were closer we could drop this CPU into your mobo and see how it does on sub-zero temps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    Johnksss likes this.
  4. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone ever have DDR4 just start to
    Crap out on them? I had my memory 100% stable at XMP 3733 17-21-21-41 with around 1.4 volts. It is (2) identical sets of 2x8GB but one is Samsung b die, and the other is Hynix.

Anyways, so I started my overclock from scratch. CPU OC check, cache OC check, then memory OC/XMP no good... getting BSODS at frequencies that have passed perfect in memtest and anything else for that matter.

I was testing higher voltages a lot with this DDR4 running 1.450 to 1.500 volts. Trying to push lower timings, with higher frequencies.

But, night before last my system started to randomly BSOD

I am convinced I’ve damaged my memory? I can barely run 3600Mhz with higher timings of 17-22-22-42 without getting a BSOD after just signing in to windows. So, I thought my OS was corrupt, then I went to reinstall Windows LTSC, and it BSOD’s half way through the installation

I know this memory so well. And everything else is stable. So, did I damage the memory? Or is it degradation?

So far it is stable at default 2133Mhz C15 lol. This memory was perfect. I was so happy to finally get it stable at XMP with a few tweaks.. And it only held up for about a week.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 11:41 PM
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nah, you didn't damage it. No way. That B-die is good for 5000MHz and 2.100V. I have run my sticks of B-die at 1.600V for many hours without issue. Try using just the B-die in dual channel. Then try just the Hynix in dual channel.

Hynix = unstable junk

6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    I think it will now. Was on 5.4 Ghz yesterday getting my ram stable. I'll check when I stock it back up.

Will the shunt mod work on a Gigabyte Winforce OC 2080ti? I sold my Kingpin before gpus dropped to an all time low and grabbed a super cheap 2080 Ti to hold till the 3 series is in my hands.

Hummm, this gpu has micron memory as well, but on cold water it seems to do a bit better. +800/Mem was a struggle on air.

Nope, I turnt it on once and notice my temp readings jumped through the roof in the bios. I thought something broke. I put it back and temps dropped back to a negative. Note sure what was going on, but one day i'll try to understand what happen.

That is true.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    You may want to pop out your cpu and set it back in place. And do not over tighten, just tighten it enough to have amp pressure. Then boot into windows and see what the last bugcheck errors are.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, I’ll try it. I am getting random BSODS just from using simple things like Microsoft word. Windows is a fresh install.

The last (2) in a row were.

“Bad Pool Header”

“Memory Management”

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, I resolved the issue. Turns out my memory is just garbage.

I passed memtest86 at 3,400Mhz max. Anymore and it fails with numerous errors! Coincidentally the exact same 3400Mhz that I managed on my 8086K with this exact same memory set.

10. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:

3080 up to 30-35% faster (depending on games) and $400+ cheaper than a 2080ti

Interesting observation that on average the 3080 @ 1440p is the 2080ti @ 1080p.

That's a win all around.

I'm hoping the leaked benchmarks for the AMD 6000 series showing it potentially equals a 2080ti are for the lesser BigNavi (fingers crossed).

Either way, the 3080 nearly doubles my 5700xt in some tests, ouch.