*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, the 10900KF loves Windows 7 like all of the CPUs that came before it... in spite of the driver terrorists not "supporting" Windows 7 with 10th Gen. I'm faking it with a USB WiFi that has Windows 7 driver support. Screw 'em. (Also one of the reasons I chose KF is no iGFX since now Intel only supports Windoze OS X DCH trash.)

The only person that beat me is running sub-zero cooling at 6.6GHz (versus 5.3GHz for me) and just barely beat me with his Windoze OS X barf bucket. This proves what an inferior pile of crap Windoze 10 is. They can't even make it work better on the latest hardware. Losers!

his... https://hwbot.org/submission/4502462_achill3us_wprime___32m_core_i9_10900kf_1sec_599ms/
    mine... https://hwbot.org/submission/4531367_mr._fox_wprime___32m_core_i9_10900kf_1sec_887ms/

Windows 7 FTW! Never surrender to the Master of Filth. Yeah, I know... eventually won't have any choice, but it won't be something I do with a happy heart when I'm stuck drinking from their urinal. Windows 10 is such a messed up pile of [insert vulgar term for feces]. For now, I will have satisfaction in the knowledge that I am contributing to the statistics that show Windows 10 adoption isn't anywhere near 100%. Every example like mine helps deprive them of the success they crave, but do not deserve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    It looks like a fun system to learn and bench :) As for the voltage being weird, did you keep TVB on?

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No. Still testing, so the verdict is still out. But, that was one of the first things I disabled. I ended up working part of the weekend so my testing was abbreviated and I did not have time for the delid yet. Temps in posts above are with Phobya NanoGrease Extreme.

jc_denton and Papusan like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    OK, got the delid and bare die setup done and man... what a difference. Load temps are about 15-20°C less. Check it out.
    Here are some photos of the parts
    And, here are some nice runs with some info on max temps. Load voltage at 5.4GHz is roughly 1.350V
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    6871.JPG 6848.JPG 2887.JPG 2890.JPG
    No chiller... just plain water.
    hwinfo.JPG
    @Papusan @jc_denton

electrosoft, Papusan and TheDantee like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The boot logo for the BIOS was kind of plain, so I added my own.
    20200824_104308.jpg

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Ooops. Forgot to disable AVX offset.
    6944.JPG
    Power and temps...
    6944b.JPG

Papusan, Robbo99999 and TheDantee like this.
  7. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow... thats almost the same power draw as my 3990X 3.7GHz... I only draw 320W at 3.7GHz in Cinebench

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That is a beast CPU. Did you actually have a real business need for it, or just bought it simply because it is a beast CPU?

TheDantee likes this.
  9. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm an enthusiast unfortunately I bought it for the sake of owning it however I run Folding@Home on it 24/7 so at least it gets some use...

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I had a difficult time deciding what to do. Probably the toughest I can remember when it came down to deciding what to buy. The item first and foremost on my list of "must-have" characteristics is excellent overclocking abilities. I love most of what I am seeing from Ryzen, but the unfortunate thing is that it doesn't tick the first and most important box on my list. Stock results are great and if I planned to run everything stock then Ryzen would be the way to go.

Everything in CPUs is grossly overpriced now and availability is poor. I initially thought of buying a 10980XE to drop into my X299 Dark. I decided against it for several reasons, but availability is nearly non-existent. I thought about moving to 3950X, but that is also grossly overpriced and I literally could not find one for sale over the course of about a month. I did eventually find a few on eBay selling for twice MSRP and I was like "oh hell no" and there's still the poor CPU and RAM overclocking capacity. I finally landed where I am now. CPU and motherboard combined were under $1,000. Yeah, it's still 14nm, but it seemed like the best bang for the buck for something that overclocks well enough for me to derive some pleasure from it.

I am finding pleasure is getting harder to come by and I am not optimistic about the future. I guess we will see what happens. As beastly as it may be, it is very unlikely I will ever be willing to spend as much on a CPU as the 3990X costs. It would need to handle at least a 50% overclock and run the RAM at least 4000MHz with tight timings, but that is what I would expect from a CPU that costs ~$500 so the expectations playing field is level in that respect.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Talon, Papusan and TheDantee like this.