*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I've been seeing and appreciating your lurking. Glad to know you are doing well, bro.

I agree with you. Nobody really offers anything interesting in hardware at this point. There's really nothing for anyone to be excited about.

I am passing my time waiting for something worth having to appear by becoming more intimate with Linux. Hating the Redmond Retards and the trash they produce has never been easier.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    jc_denton, Convel and Rage Set like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Intel lies in the dust with broken neck and try to please it's disappointed investors with new mainstream frankenstein chips (chips who lost in the binning process - but have a value for Intel) to fish in some cash. And for HEDT maybe even worse... Nothing there as well!
    [​IMG]

jc_denton, Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, the only good thing we can say is the i9-10980XE still beats AMD's competing CPU. Clock is still king, and since AMD sucks at clocks they're still taking a back seat. Their memory handling is also crap in comparison. I'd still pay extra for Intel rather than settle for AMD.

Intel does need to get their act together, and do something new and amazing. But, it's interesting and actually impressive they can keep tweaking their current antique technology generation, after generation, after generation, after generation and it still takes all of the efforts AMD can muster to keep up with it. Imagine how badly they would get stomped if Intel would get off of their lazy heiney and do something worth writing home about.

jc_denton, Rage Set and Papusan like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Have you seen the A100 in that one bench only being about 40% over the 2080 Ti?

I think you are mistaken here. Intel's in a bad way and it is getting boring, not impressive. It was impressive up until around the 8700K. The 9 series on HEDT was nothing, not was the 10 series. Only reason mainstream was was due to rising core count.

But intel's losing on manufacturing basically is like a motorcycle racer breaking their back from a crash of their Ducati. It may take years to catch up to a couple scores, but thinking you'll immediately jump back on top is absurd.

Their yield is a year off target and the production was pushed 6 months, meaning if they truly only push it 6 months, they will be burning wafers, which is not going to be good when the competition is about ready to transition to 3nm at that point, which is equivalent to your 5nm, all while TSMC has had good yields on 7nm and now 5nm seems to be working. Samsung had late delivery of EUV equipment, so might miss a delivery window and yields for 5nm seem less. Intel will have to compete for fab time at one of them, and TSMC seems like the only one with a good HPC library.

Intel has good designs for future nodes, but a lot of good that is doing shelved. You'll have at least a couple generations before Intel really can get back in there. In fact, since they missed on 14nm with broadwell, then missed on 10nm for years and arguably still have a forked production on it, and now are further delaying 7nm beyond when it was due, Intel may need to spinoff its fab like AMD did.

It's no longer time to defend Intel. Rocket lake may not arrive this fall, and it may or may not even hit 20% now IPC, although looks to target 5GHz. If losing 2 cores and gaining 20% IPC, it is a wash. How does a wash stack up to 20% IPC and latency fixes from the competition?

On mobile, supposedly tiger will be here. That will be needed sorely.

On server, they have Cooper lake (coffee refresh) and ice lake, and both look craptastic versus AMD offerings, especially if AMD allows a higher boost this time and we'll see when the speed optimized chips drop this time.

Then, you get Zen 4 out against what? Sapphire rapids on server if they ever get yields enough to do a respectable 10nm server chip. Or mainstream Alderlake with big.LITTLE.

Intel seems to have stagnated harshly. It is fine to like what they have done. It isn't fine to overstate their current position and hand.

Rage Set, Convel, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. There's really nothing to get excited about anywhere right now. I'm not defending, just stating my thoughts about the lackluster options. I don't see the alternative as being any better. If I had to buy something new it wouldn't be something from AMD. I'd grit my teeth and buy Intel again. That's all I am saying. That could certainly change in time, but not today. I'm just glad I don't need to waste any money on new hardware right now. That would suck.

Edit: And, to be fair to AMD, it's the first time in 15+ years that their CPU options are roughly equivalent performers by most measurements. That's a pretty stinking massive accomplishment for them and they deserve to be acknowledged for it. They're still not an option today because they suck at overclocking (CPU and memory) and their firmware absolutely blows chunks. If they fix those things, then they'll have my attention.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  6. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I'm on the other end. I'm grabbing the 9900k for the project of running it on my z170 board. That is a fun project, IMO. Meanwhile, I'd wait for zen 3 at this point if in the market. The 10 series on mainstream is overpriced for what it does except on gaming and Zen 2 is months away from replacement. Now Zen 2 has really brought down the cost of compute, with the 6 core at $160 or so and the 8 core priced at the price of intel's 6- core. Even though newer games are just now adopting core count optimizations, the 8 core smashes anything productivity over intel's equivalent proceed 6 core.

I differ on laptops. AMD is rumored to have skimped on pcie lanes on their laptop chips, supposedly being the reason they are not paid with high end Nvidia, although that doesn't fit with the desktop CPU models that still cap with the 2070.

What I'm waiting for is to see RDNA2 and Nvidia. Recent rumors have me thinking Nvidia may have more issues competing. These include Moore's law is dead mentioning the 72 CU rumor came from someone inside Nvidia, that the A100, which the A102 die is set to be the 3080 Ti or whatever similar offering they have, is only 40% over the 2080 Ti in the one benchmark, etc. It's really a question of what AMD can deliver, and that's a hard question. I'm just skeptical Nvidia is going to offer much. Sure, the rumor the 3080 is 20% better than the 2080 Ti, but to get excited, you have to expect the same normal separation between the 80 and Ti series, something I'm starting to doubt. Either way, it isn't 70% like before maxwell.

Just the percentages being thrown around about Nvidia makes me question some things, so AMD's to lose, which they've proven they can lose in spectacular fashion on the GPU side, so...

But, yeah, wouldn't buy Intel if not for owning the motherboard. Especially HEDT. On HEDT, I want an unlocked 8- channel TR pro. Nothing comes close.

jc_denton, Convel and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Decided to play with some Patriot Viper 4 Blackout RAM. Got tired of looking at the red Corsair sticks. Kind of clashed with my all black/silver and white LED theme. Runs fine and passes memory tests using the same BIOS profiles with the custom memory timings I was using on the Corsair sticks... makes sense since both are Samsung B-die.
    20200731_183717.jpg
    Got to love that endless supply of Phoenix dust, LOL. Still 112°F at 6:45 PM.
    a64.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    Rage Set, Robbo99999, Convel and 2 others like this.
  9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How are the temps on these viper sticks compared to the Corsair? I've been struggling to keep the memory in my threadripper build under 60c and these viper sticks look like they have more effective heatspreaders than some other kits I've seen.

Rage Set, jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi bro. They do not have thermal sensors and neither do the Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks. So, I don't know what the temps are. Neither these nor the Corsair sticks ever feel warm to the touch. They always feel room temperature touching the heat sinks, even after being under heavy load like memory testing or benching. I've run the Corsair sticks at 4000 CL14 with 1.650V when benching and even then they are never even remotely warm to the touch.

The Viper sticks do have nice heat spreaders. Each stick feels like it weighs twice what the Corsair sticks weigh. They are very heavy and the heat spreaders are quite thick material.

Rage Set, jc_denton and alaskajoel like this.