*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Welcome back 'dspboys' @temp00876 - nice to see you around these parts again. We missed you, bro. Also, welcome to the @Prema Mod HWBOT Team.
    upload_2020-6-27_9-32-5.png
    @Johnksss @Papusan @Rage Set and others that remember the P870 glory days you were a vibrant part of. Also, nice to see you have joined those of us that have moved back over to the desktop side where it all began. Really sad the way laptops are circling the cesspool drain today.

2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Wait for Zen 3. More IPC and lower latency, which will help with many things. Also without 4 core CCX, higher boost. That's what is known.

Granted rocket lake, which may be delayed until early next year, will have around 20% IPC. Have to wait to see if they can maintain the frequency on the new architecture, though.

Still bet Intel on GPU for the foreseeable, but CPU, could start to see more encroachment until rocket.

But that is tit- for - tat. One upsmanship has helped drive many things in our society for a long time.

Either way, I'm still planning on Intel for my next chip, then amd for my next server and firewall builds. I've got enough love for them all, except maybe RTG. Radeon has a ways to go to get in on this love fest.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Rage Set, Convel, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, indeed. And, any and all gains made ultimately benefit us all and drive the tit-for-tat competitive nature of things that has been painfully missing for such a terribly long time. There is no downside to any of that I can identify. Let the blood flow, LOL.

Have a great weekend, bro.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Off topic... those of you that know me well know that I do occasionally enjoy gaming. Not nearly as much as I do overclocking of course. But when I'm in the mood for it I do play games, and my interests are mostly limited to first person shooter titles as long as they are primarily linear run-and-gun titles with little story and no strategy. And, when it comes to paying for games I am a major cheapskate/tightwad.

Well, Doom Eternal is a title I've been eyeing since before it was released, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $60 for any game unless maybe it is a new Crysis title that I can count on playing for a decade or longer. It went on sale for $30 on Steam. Even though $20 would been more in line with what I expect to pay, I grabbed it and I have to say it looks and plays amazing. I am not in a gaming mood right now, so I have only spent about 30 minutes on the campaign. But, so far I am pretty darned impressed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Rage Set, Robbo99999, ssj92 and 3 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Fantastic. Im i happy!!

Rage Set, Talon, temp00876 and 2 others like this.
  6. temp00876

temp00876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks brother Fox, it's nice to be back :D I have missed all of you guys although I visit the forums from time-to-time, I haven't posted anything using my other account @sweepersc hehe Although I have completely moved to desktop, my old 6700k+980N is at my parents house. I use it every time I'm there.

Rage Set, jc_denton, Convel and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Not sure why the video is playing choppy on YouTube. The game is as smooth as glass and so is the video before I uploaded it. Maybe it's not done processing or something. It is rendered in 4K 60FPS but only 1080p is available at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up on Doom Eternal. I was able to add a 49 cent game to get $5 bucks off as well (Steam had/has $5 off if you spend $30). I installed it but haven't had time to play it yet.

Rage Set, jc_denton and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sure thing. That was a good catch on the $5 off. I missed seeing that option.

DOOM Eternal is even better than I expected. I played a little more last night and really like it. It looks amazing. I will be curious to hear how you like it.

Not sure why the video I uploaded is still choppy, other than Youtube just being Youtube. I have had that happen before on videos with higher than 1080p resolution.

10. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's a great intro that game has, and after looking at some of the level briefly I like the atmosphere, I'll probably get this one, even if I haven't finished the first Doom (2016)...I might wait until it's in an even lower sale, I've not played a computer game for 4 months or something, can't believe it!

Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.