*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    This definitely does not work with the die frame. The nuts do bottom out before tightening the block against the CPU. But, there is only like a 1/16th inch air space, so with the IHS and ILM, I can see that it would most likely work fine. Or, I could stack up two or three washers and ditch the springs for bare die. One thick nylon washer might do the trick as well.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Ah yes...a very familiar look with Intel hard clay. :p A delid and a nice oil change is one of the most satisfying things isn't it?

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Which die frame are you using? I have the rockit one and I'll test it on that as well later after I run some temp tests with its current configuration.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have the Der8auer Die Frame. There was no such thing as the Rockit Die Frame when I purchased this one. I'm glad to see that Rockit has them now.

Papusan and iunlock like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Ah ok. Great stuff...

btw here's a response from Optimus regarding the springs:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Convel, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nice! I suspect you were referring to the "IN" port? Since it was not marked anywhere on the block, and not identified in the graphical installation guide in the box, I emailed to confirm it was the port in the spot nearest to the center, where you cannot see any of the fins. After emailing, I found the answer in an FAQ page on their web site. They should put something in the box showing that. I am sure a lot of people want to know rather than guess since flow direction is important for water blocks.

FAQ is at the bottom of each water block page. Easy to miss, as it is not linked anywhere and you have to scroll all the way to the bottom (lots of scrolling, LOL). I think they would be better off having the FAQ on a stand-alone page and listed/linked in the site map. I went there looking for directions before I sent the email asking and assumed there was no information because it was not noticed at the bottom of the web page. I just stumbled onto the information later.

https://optimuspc.com/products/signature-cpu-block-intel

I'm pretty sure a thick nylon washer, or 2 or 3 thin metal washers, will allow it to work fine without springs using my die frame. I am going to give that a try and see how it works. I can also remove the shims I added where it screws into the die frame. In fact, simply removing those might eliminate the air space between the water block and nuts because it will make the standoffs shorter. If that is not enough all by itself, I can just remove the stacked metal and nylon washer and move them to the top, directly under the nut, like it shows in your photo. (I only had to shim the standoffs to correct the length problem using the springs.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    iunlock likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Test how this panned out. Not bad from the near 8 years old 120mm AIO cooler. 47x testing.
    TEST 47X 30 MIN AIDA64 FPU TEST.PNG

Convel, Rage Set and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that's really good.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Yeah I have time. It is quite power limited but overall I am happy with it since the repaste. Is there something you would like me to test?

Prema and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Yes indeed that's correct. I've let them know to add IN and OUT on the diagram card as follows, which would easily solve the curiosity.

[​IMG]

Interestingly enough the Foundation diagram card has info on the back of it...

[​IMG]

Looking forward to your results with the direct-die mount! I have yet to install mine as I'm first testing the custom IHS's vs the EK EVO blocks... so far very promising... I'll post up the results once the testing is complete.

Attached Files:

Mr. Fox likes this.