*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I was curious if the mounting kit of the Foundation Block (Clear acrylic) was the same as the Signature V2 and what you know...they're different.

At first I was looking for the springs in the Foundation Block's box, then realized that the kit doesn't use any (which I actually like). Then I noticed how much shorter the Foundation block's standoff screw was compared to the Signature V2's kit... so then...

I installed the Foundation block's standoff kit onto my Gigabyte Z390 Master board and test fitted the Signature V2 block (with no springs) and it works perfectly.

The Foundation block's standoff kits would do very well for bare die. It bottoms out great sitting nicely over the IHS/bare-die. I did use extra washers all around to protect the board and also to keep the TOP's from coming in direct contact with the cpu block's legs.

I much prefer being able to adjust the torque myself without the variable of a springs tension.

Ex. The EK EVO blocks that I have are meant to tighten until they stop, but I've always felt a little iffy about whether the torque on all four sides with this style of kit is actually accurate. Therefore, I've personally tested the contact pressure with all four sides all the way tightened with my 9900K + Custom lapped super flat IHS and sure enough the contact pressure was not even as we'd assume; trusting that tightening it until it stops would mean that there is even contact.

This is why I really favor the springless standoff kit of the Foundation block, because I can adjust the torque myself. I really like how the Optimus TOP's are long with a good grip.

@Mr. Fox I wonder if they'll be sending you the Foundation Block standoff kit? Or maybe that along with the modified Signature V2 screws? I'm curious now...

I'm going to request getting more of the Foundation Block standoff kit for both of the V2 as I really like that design a lot.

Optimus Signature V2 CPU Block w/ Foundation Block standoff kit.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Convel, Raiderman and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Well my Titan Xp died within seconds of doing a 3D load...

Seller did mention they had done a shunt mod or something before but removed it. Anyways few days later and I have a fresh Titan Xp from nVidia RMA.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21575884/fs/21628051/fs/21628074

The one with a description was the original Xp that died after second FS run.

Haven't pushed the second one yet, wanted to make sure it works. :D

Convel, Raiderman, Prema and 3 others like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, Matt said they would be sending me a Foundation Block standoff kit. Did you try to install the Signature V2 kit to see the problem I ran into?
    Wow, great work there. Nice scores all around. :vbthumbsup:
    Excellent. I am glad to hear that NVIDIA took care of you. I've heard they are excellent at warranty fulfillment like EVGA, but I have never purchased a GPU directly from NVIDIA.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    ssj92, Raiderman and Papusan like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Same cancer for the 10 years old 460M leaderboard.

BETTER BENCHMARKING WITH UL
    UL the owner of Futuremark is a global certification company. That they struggle fix this is quite amuzing. But I expect they put more resources in making phone benchmarks tools than fix up old ongoing mess.

Raiderman and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    ssj92, Rage Set, Raiderman and 2 others like this.
  7. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Yes, it installs fine, but as expected the springs are very stiff. I even tried springs from two other blocks (different brands) and they worked a little easier.

The signature v2 stand off kit without the springs work perfectly fine.

Raiderman and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So wait... If you install the springs and standoffs included with the Signature V2, there are actually threads sticking out past the top of the springs where you can start the nuts without having to go berzerk trying to compress the springs enough to engage the threads? Mine were recessed about 3mm below the top of the uncompressed springs. If you were able to do that, then there is something dimensionally different (and wrong) about the standoffs and/or spring they sent with my kit. Or, was that a typo and you meant the Foundation kit screws and springs?

And, you used the supplied kit for the Signature V2 and simply left off the springs and the nuts were deep enough to not bottom out against the standoff post before tightening down the block? If that is the case, the problem is solved. Just use the parts provided and skip the springs. I am going to have to explore that idea. I didn't test that idea and assumed the nuts would not be able to thread down far enough on the standoffs to compress the block against the CPU without the springs there as spacers. Probably should let Matt know that the solution is to ditch the springs for X299 and update the graphic images in the instructional card they ship with the block.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    iunlock likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Just opened up the 3770K. The Intel paste was dry as ice. Most of the paste was sticky to the lid. The wimpy single 120mm AIO cooling need all the help it can get:)
    upload_2020-1-26_2-1-32.png
    upload_2020-1-26_2-6-51.png

ssj92, Convel, Robbo99999 and 4 others like this.
  10. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Affirmative. I got confirmation this morning from Optimus that they might just ditch the springs all together and might even just ship the V2 blocks with the Foundation standoff kits. The springs are really not needed at all.

I ended up using the stock V2 mounting kit without the springs, with the addition of some washers and it works perfectly.

I could have also used the Foundation blocks mounting kit, but I needed that for the gaming rig... however, the V2 kit works perfectly fine without the springs.

As far as the V2 standoff screw with the block mounted and spring over the screw, it was definitely recessed under the spring about 2-3mm ... I had to hold down opposite ends and thread two at the same time. It's just way too much force that is completely unnecessary along with the springs... no need as the springs bring no benefit.

Here are the pics of my final mounting on the Z390 Dark with the addition of the washers, without the spring. Works like a charm.

Note: I hand tightened it lightly until the threads stopped then gave it a 1/4 turn (like an oil filter lol)...then I booted up, ran a looping bench and adjusted from there, which was very little as I think I only ended up going about half a turn at most all around and that was sufficient to give a nice even'ish core temp numbers across the board.

Signature V2 sitting very happy...
    [​IMG]

The white washer is the stock one that comes with the kit. The black one is the one that I added.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

ssj92, Convel, Rage Set and 2 others like this.