*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I had asked about using it on bare-die a while back for a delid and was told not to? I'm really curious now and may try it on a delid to see how it performs lol. As for bare-die to IHS, it should work, but now I'm trying to remember who suggested not to use it for that application... it was either one of the fellow OC'ers in the hall of fame or one of my contacts at a company... I'll let you know if I can dig up the message.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:

Attached Files:

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, please do. It might have been because it is electrically conductive, but I use liquid metal on bare die anyhow. But, I would be very curious to know if there is some other reason, such as having a reaction of some kind with direct silicon contact.

Edit: If it is OK to use on a laptop CPU, I cannot see how using it on bare die would be any different in practical application.

iunlock likes this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sure, ok, I initially thought it might have been your baseline testing for your GPU before you switch to water. I remember I said to you before: I'm curious to see what you max stable overclock in terms of stabalised long runtime core frequency is on air vs when you put your GPU under water. And for that I recommended the Firestrike Extreme Graphics Test 1 on a loop for as long as it takes to reach steady state (ie once your case and/or water heats up to it's max stabalised temperature) - that way you can really see the benefit between air vs your "soon-to-be" water, also it may allow you a higher overclock offset in addition to just giving you a higher running frequency due to lower temps. So that's the kind of thing I'm personally interested in seeing from you when you switch, but that's just my request.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    This is a completely different gpu from the other one, but yea I get what you're saying. As for the testing methodology with using 3DMark in general, like I've mentioned before I'm very familiar with it, along with the dynamics related to temps, scaling etc... I literally use 3DMark every day.

A GPU with a good stock air cooler can perform very well, but a gpu that is water cooled with an adequate radiator will always scale better due to the lower temps. I have a lot of projects that I'm working on along with some pc builds so I can't promise anything, but I'll put it on my list of things to do.

When I game I run my 2080Ti FTW3 at 2100MHz and it can sustain 2145MHz, but the gains from overclocking a GPU past a certain point doesn't bring huge gains, just more heat. That's why I just round it off to 2100MHz, which is still above the boost of any stock card.

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, if you can that's great, if you can't then no biggie.......I like Science!

iunlock likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's a Zotac AMP! Extreme. I went through 4 1080 Ti video cards. I have one for sale on eBay and two broken Asus Strix versions, which I hope to repair.
    The Zotac AMP! provided outstanding performance. I know it can hit 2.1 ghz, just didn't bother with that.

@Mr. Fox Would love to join your community.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Cool. I will send you a PM with the info.

9. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    It's on the test bench and other than a quick Port Royal bench, I haven't had much time to overclock. I will this week, as I gave myself some time off.

A lot of excitement in this industry, on both sides of the CPU walls. I am still debating internally on my next PC project. I did say no more mainstream Intel but that 10900k 300W "problem" has me highly intrigued.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I love problems like that. Let the tree-huggers squirm. MOAR POWA!!!

Rage Set and iunlock like this.