*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Unless grabbing a Zen 4 in 2021, I would wait for 2022. If Intel's back port of golden cover to 10nm+++ is any good, even with a low to mid-4GHz frequency, then that would be a back and forth in between Zen 4 and Zen 5. Also pcie 5 and ddr5.

Graphics cards would be good to buy in 2020, but waiting for 2022/23 after that would likely be worth it. 2022 would be 5nm, but doesn't have much node improvement over 7nm as some may want. If they get multi-die ready for then, then it would be worth the dive.

Otherwise, multi-die 3nm will be a great upgrade time on graphics, although that is 2023/24 time frame.

Cores and IPC seem it will be the race moving forward, not frequency. This is based on the tiger lake frequencies, which the ES is running slightly lower than the ice lake u chips. That should be higher in final silicon. But it being 3.6-3.8GHz says Intel isn't getting some monstrous 5GHz speed on 10nm. This does not mean their 7nm cannot go higher, but that will not be used for mainstream until 2022 at the earliest, but probably closer to 2023, which is when TSMC will have 3nm in full swing which will have more density than Intel's 7nm, even if it is on 7nm+ or ++ by that point, if they can deliver on their process roadmap, something still not proven.

Convel and Rage Set like this.
  2. ajc9988

Reputations:
    I also forgot to mention Via's joint venture with the Chinese government. China is replacing all government hardware with Chinese made hardware over the next three years. X86 patents expire, including the 64-bit patent and SSE patents, next year. Via is working on a 32-core chiplet CPU on 12nm TSMC in 2021 (with possible I/O die) and a 7nm 8 core with pcie 4.0 support in 2021. So via may get into the race, along with others, by 2023 for cutting edge. Something to keep our eyes out for (especially with China's big pockets helping).

Convel and Rage Set like this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I saw the writing on the wall on frequency rates since the 6700k/7700k but I kept going. When I started overclocking, I didn't think I would be battling some of the best in the world. I didn't think I would have about six rigs (most of which are in pieces). As long as Intel/AMD have unlocked SKU's, I'll keep overclocking, even if the gains aren't as great. It's an art and I love it. I am done with mainstream products though.

Mr. Fox, Convel, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  4. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat... did not think so either. Crazy times in the PC world right now. Good call on getting rid of the 3175X when you did. Looking forward to the 10980XE despite being in the middle of a 3970x build. I have no doubts the 3970x will produce nice numbers, but it's expected given the cores... now as far as the fun factor goes it's going to be hard to beat my 7980XE... Perhaps you feel the same way and get where I'm coming from yea?

I'm thinking of going direct with my 7980XE ...hmmm... might as well. :)

The crazy nature of technology eh? It's exciting to see into the future, but at the same time there is a value to the cost of ownership. Especially for those that make money with their PC's / hardware like some of us here. Waiting several years is a long time for folks that actually utilize the hardware, whereas holding off wouldn't really affect the majority as their current hardware would likely get them by just fine. It's the whole "wants vs needs," battle and I often find that the 'wants' out weighs the actual 'needs' by a large margin.

I agree...going forward it's going to be the battle of cores and ipc. It's the very weapon AMD used against Intel and they've succeeded in holding Intel's head down in the ground hog hole. The only thing escaping for Intel is the fast rabbits (9900K's) that still out paces AMD's elephants. - Intel isn't dead, but the spot lights have shifted....for now.

Mr. Fox, Convel and Rage Set like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    There's also another chip maker emerging called: Zhaoxin? Currently they're on the 16nm, but releasing chips with 7nm soon... Intel and AMD may not be the only names in the industry in the very near future when it comes to CPU's... it'll be very interesting...

Amen to that lol...I totally understand where you're coming from.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Even though it is going to sound like I'm contradicting myself (in a way I am), I am curious about the last major ringbus based 10 core from Intel coming next year. That processor compared to my 6950X. The 6950X hits a wall at 4.6/4.7 without exotic cooling. I wonder if that 10 core will hit 5.0 much more easily on H2O. I love my 7980XE, one of the few processors I can say that about. The 10980XE will overclock better but again those baked-in security migrations holds it back. You guys will see how well my 7980XE performs when Mr. Fox has it under chilled water.

electrosoft, Mr. Fox, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.
  7. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Zhaoxin is the joint venture between Via and the Chinese government. Via has some licensed to X86. A year ago, on a dirty move, some were saying AMD transferred x86 tech to China during their JV, which was a lie. Considering Via is working with them AND the patents run out next year, get ready for plenty chomping at the bit to enter the market.

So Intel's high margin days, already ended by AMD, will be buried in the post patent period. Even Apple will be able to design their own x86 chips. So the monopoly period is ending.

Also, RISC-V is on the rise as far as adoption across multiple industries. It will not be an x86 competitor any time soon, but being open source and less legacy instructions being required, it could have a quick rise.

iunlock likes this.
  8. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Papusan, jc_denton, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, my plan's coming together then! New GPU in 2020 and then the next one on 3nm multi-die in 2023/24!

Mr. Fox and ajc9988 like this.
  10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    That's all I really care about, that people know approximate timelines for releases, even if a year or two out. If buying toward the top end, or just trying to save to get a tier higher on your next build, planning ahead matters.

For me, 2020 is GPUs and cell phones (specifically not 5G; check out the plethora of articles on safety including the one in scientific America or the recent article that FCC isn't testing properly and phones were putting out 8-10x the legal signal to connect to towers 3 miles away). GPU makes sense with Ampere and big Navi coming.

Zen 4 seems like my CPU update. Probably will upgrade the house server as well. And either 2021 or 2022 will be a great year for TVs. We have microLEDs now, but nanoLEDs are coming. HDMI 2.1 should be more pervasive with more features implemented. And HDR coverage may further expand to get beyond just DCI-P3, all while marching toward the 2000-4000 nit range.

Robbo99999, iunlock and Convel like this.