*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Well I wish you luck in your endeavor! And let me know when things are going so I can check out the channel.

And I definitely understand, as the 7980XE beats the 1950X by a good ways. Luckily, the new TRs really kick up performance. Are you a premiere or resolve man? And do you prefer GPU acceleration? What card do you have? Did you see the 3950X build GN put in a video this evening for a cost effective render rig at $2200?

Rage Set likes this.
  2. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Well the 7980XE will be making its way to someone as soon as I get my new build up and running. I am a resolve man even though I was trained on premiere for years. Resolve actually uses our hardware, including GPU's (still a reason to use SLI, ha!) and most importantly, doesn't require a subscription. I haven't watched the video yet but I'm going with TRX40 due to the crazy amount of lanes that I will happily put to use. I'll certainly let everyone know. Just making sure I have a firm foundation. I already have two cameras ready for action, Panasonic GH5 and S1H.

Robbo99999, Mr. Fox and ajc9988 like this.
  3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Since you are using resolve, have you considered a 1P Epyc platform? Don't know how many GPUs or lanes you plan on, but if the bulk is done on GPUs, there may be some advantages, depending on your situation.

4. Rage Set

Reputations:
    I considered LGA3647 and Epyc 2nd Gen. What pushed me to TRX40 is the ability to overclock (even though I won't be able to push it as far as I like) but 128 lanes does appeal to me. I am going back to one workstation and one gaming rig. So that means much of what I have is going up for sale, including the KPx cards.

ajc9988 likes this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I really wanna try resolve so I can move away from relying on only macOS.

I am so used to Final Cut Pro X and it works so well for me. But it limits me to my macbook only (yes I know about hackintosh).

I have my Area-51m + my desktop with way more processing power but Resolve will take awhile for me to learn.

Didn't like Adobe premiere when I tried it a long time ago.

iunlock, Rage Set and ajc9988 like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    4.0Ghz stable this time, also 4.3Ghz single core.

Almost beating my 9750H in the AW m15 R2 I tested.

Next goal 4.3Ghz all core then 4.5Ghz.

Single skinny 120mm radiator in push-pull. Temps ain't too bad.

I thought Haswell was much more behind due to IPC, guess not.

[​IMG]

8. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Resolve isn't as easy to learn as Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere, especially its node system. However, there are numerous tutorials out there and Blackmagic has their very own (FREE) training/guides. Download the free edition and test it out. The free edition is as feature packed as Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere. When you're ready, you can get the Studio edition....if you ever need the advance functionality (most people don't).

EDIT: I will say that Resolve is one of the few editors that will take full advantage of your hardware, so much so that they have a benchmark app. At the very minimal, test that out.

ssj92, ajc9988 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Okay guys need some help...so I bought a 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 kit during black friday and my desktop already had 2x8GB 2666Mhz DDR4 RAM. I bought the exact same corsair LPX memory but higher frequency(it was cheaper buying 3200Mhz over any of the others)

I was running XMP Profile 2 - 2666Mhz @ 1.35v before. It also had a 2400Mhz @ 1.20v XMP profile.

My new RAM only has 3200Mhz XMP @ 1.35v profile.

When all four sticks are installed together, I run them at 2133Mhz (no XMP) and are detected fine as quad-channel etc.

When I look up the XMP profile, I can only use 2400Mhz @ 1.35v which is not in either stick. Windows only sees 16GB using this but CPU-Z & hwinfo show 32GB.

What would be the easier way to run 2666Mhz @ 1.35v again like before? I'm sure the 3200Mhz sticks should have no issue downclocking and running those timings.

Or is there an APP that shows me all the required timings for the BIOS?

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I played with it once already, need to play with it more. Cross platform is way more useful.

iunlock likes this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've had that issue before with X99 with my ASrock board. I'm fairly certain with the same LPX memory. I also have 4x8gb of those 3200Mhz sticks but I run them at 2666Mhz CL12 as anything above this causes the system to shut off quad channel and run dual which obviously defeats the purpose. With my board I am able to select XMP, then set the speed to 2666Mhz, and then I boot with all timings at AUTO. This resolves the issue for me, and then I simply go back and slowly tune the timings down and it works fine. I have found that if I also go too tight on timings it will again go back to dual channel. So it's either the ****ty IMC of Haswell-E or possibly some of the sticks are working at said speed, and the other pair can't.

I would try XMP, then manually set 2666Mhz and Auto timings and try and boot.

Try no XMP, 2666Mhz manually set, and auto timings.

If either of those work, manually tune timings.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-E/ -- Also make sure you're setting your DIMMS up correctly per the manual or picture shown here.

iunlock, Papusan, ssj92 and 1 other person like this.