*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. amn3sia

amn3sia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, so I got back to testing and I realised that 880M is not even being used! the low clocks were not because of 2D usage but because GPU was not used at all! The GPU 0 is exclusively used, meaning my intel HD, so do you have any clue as to why the gtx is not used at all?

Unreal, I actually got it working after months of doing nothing I came up with an idea, doesn't windows 10 have some weird setting now that enables you to pick what GPU to use for application base use?
    [​IMG]

So I test it on my games and put the GPU to nvidia and voila! Its used perfectly fine and normal!

Finally it works even for GTX 880M users.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Mr. Fox and makina69 like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Ah Yes I had to do this same thing recently on my Dell Precision M4800 with the FirePro M5100 as well.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yeah, they just keep making Windows 10 suckier and suckier. There is hardly anything desirable about it... really crappy product.

Here is the image from your post that wouldn't display correctly.
    download.png

Ashtrix and Raiderman like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice, that was a tempting thought for me, because I game high refresh rate, so it could help out in CPU/platform limited scenarios, but I think your sticks are single rank rather than dual rank...and dual rank imparts a big positive affect on performance when you have just 2 RAM sticks like I have. Yeah, and also my motherboard, I'm wondering if both my CPU & motherboard would be able to tweak to 4000Mhz to offset any single rank negative affects. Hmm, tempting, but on balance I'll stay with my Dual Rank and lower Mhz sticks, but buying from a notebookreview guru like yourself is a smart thing to do, especially when we know exactly what those RAM sticks can do!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    getting better ...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, I am sending this stuff back. No good for some reason. Slower than my 4000 RAM running at 4000 default XMP with looser timings and will not POST with either XMP profile. I can get it to post at 4000 with higher voltage, but it won't POST at 4200 using the same voltage and settings as my Corsair. Cannot get it to POST above 4000 at all. And, using settings that allow it to POST at 4000 disables two of my PCIe slots that have NVMe SSDs in them. Not sure if it is defective or just something with the SPD is incompatible. They are also single rank. (I think that is fairly common for RAM at 4000 and higher.)

I even tried it with two sticks (dual- versus quad-channel) and still won't boot. Seems the Corsair Vengeance LPX is a better product, at least for the X299 Dark.

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225144?Item=N82E16820225144

Looking good Brother @makina69 :vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Robbo99999, Rage Set, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    rofl 36.6ns. good thing AMD still at above 65ns. gonna need some real good optimization before considering AMD's machine for OC.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree... AMD doesn't really offer anything of keen interest to an overclocker. You get good value and decent enough performance if you just want to run everything stock with BIOS defaults, but there's really no joy in that if you are into overclocking. I really cannot see myself ever purchasing anything from Team Red unless or until that changes dramatically, and it doesn't seem like overclocking is something they care about at this time.

I think you meant to quote @makina69's post. Yes, that is really impressive results he is getting. Crazy good.

makina69, Papusan and ole!!! like this.