*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ah, I see, the comparison results are indeed the averages of all user submitted results. Yes, some of the posters will have other stuff running in the background when they run the test, but I am pleased and kinda impressed with my single thread result considering it topped their chart averages - and that's not even at my max overclock, that was at 4.65Ghz and I can get it to 4.8Ghz but that's not completely stable (non AVX prime stable though) but good enough for benchmark runs. Maybe it's the fact that I've tweaked my RAM for low latency, as well as having the CPU cache overclocked too (which a lot of users leave at stock).
    Yeah, I can see the bugged nature you're referring to. I did multiple runs and they all came out the same pretty much though, both for single & multi core.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, it's pretty consistent with the 9750H as well. I think the fact that the benchmark is hit or miss with higher core counts due to bugs makes it harder to compare with the average results against HEDT processors with much higher core counts. I'm not sure most people submitting results know what kind of hoops they have to jump through to get an accurate score. If they are just doing a click and run submission, those results are going to be inaccurate and skew the averages. It would also be interesting to know how much the AMD Ryzen results are being understated in light of the same bugs.

Robbo99999 and Papusan like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, although I'm mostly comparing the single thread results, because I know my multi thread result is nothing to write home about (seeing as it's only a 4 core / 8 thread CPU). Those bugs you showed were more related to the multi thread score, so I'm thinking the single thread scores are more accurate amoungst the general populace. So I'm still kinda impressed my CPU topped the the chart for 8 thread CPUs when that includes 9900K. Yeah, I know some people have stuff running in the background, like web browsers & stuff, but I'm still pretty impressed my CPU topped that chart of averages - and I'm just using a vanilla Windows 10 Home, not tweaked at all, just made sure I didn't have any programs open (well my antivirus program, Asus Xonar sound software, and MSI Gaming LAN manager was still running in the background - as always).

EDIT: oh yeah, and that was with Spectre & Meltdown microcode & patches applied too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Fire Tiger and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    It doesn't seem to go away. It comes back every reboot. I did install the latest version. Also it seems anything I change in the GUI app (It's in C:/Aeroglass btw) doesn't affect the appearance even run as admin mode.

Really liking the look even like this compared to stock 10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Maybe getting a key to make the watermark go away will fix that along with removing the watermark. I do not see that error except when I install a new Windows Update, and even then it is only sometimes, and just once. I also run with DSE permanently disabled, Secure Boot disabled and UAC disabled. So, that could have some bearing on it. Maybe there is something mentioned in the support forum. https://msfn.org/board/forum/180-aero-glass-for-windows-8/ or you could ask and post a screen shot if you do not find anything about it.

And, yes sir, that looks waaaaayyy better than stock.

Edit: have you seen the Command Prompt open and a message about downloading symbols, or do you see a new folder named "symbols" with files in it? If not, that may also be why you are seeing that error (if symbols have not downloaded yet).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, you are getting really great results. No doubt about it.

Robbo99999, JoeT44 and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. JoeT44

JoeT44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bro, check your email.

8. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If anyone's bored and need to kill time I uploaded a new video...made my home server by repurposing a gaming desktop LOL

i7 5820k & GTX 980 for a home server :cool:

No I don't see any command prompt window. Maybe I'll try reinstalling it first and see if that helps.

Robbo99999, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Where are my manors...I make a home server and don't benchmark it? For now these are stock. They look around right? Don't remember the 5820k performing this low but it's been "5" generations lol

I did these through remote desktop and it's running server 2019 but I don't think that should affect anything.

It has 16GB (2x8GB) RAM running in dual channel. Weirdly the kit number is supposed to be 32GB (4x8GB) [Thanks CyberpowerPC for taking out 2 sticks on a HEDT system...]

I might buy the other 16GB so it runs in quad channel. Kinda wasteful having an HEDT running in dual channel: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233751

Price isn't toooo bad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had to replace my i7-5820K earlier this year, with a Ryzen 2700X. That processor's considerably less powerful than the i9-9900K, but it's a lot faster -- particularly for multiple streams -- processing video than the 5820K. The 5820K mildly overclocked was barely 4x real time for processing 1080p with particular parameters; the 2700X is better than 5x real time. More to the point, perhaps, is that for 4 concurrent streams the 5820K did no better than for 1 stream (less than 110% real time), while the 2700X is about 1.65x real time.

I was a bit annoyed; I was hoping to replace the 5820K this fall with a Ryzen 3000, but it died a bit too soon.