*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a nice laptop for what it is. Those look like some good thermal pads they've used on the heatsink, they look like they'd transfer heat pretty well, they've got a 'wet' kind of look that makes me think they're really malleable and make good contact, doesn't look like they've skimped there, plus the placement looked accurate & fully covered chips, etc.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. amn3sia

amn3sia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Why do you think your MXM died? Was it because of the high temperatures or something else?

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, improperly modded drivers can cause some problems. But, probably not like you are having. 880M has had problems since the beginning and I found this problem was not correctable with 780M SLI unless I used much old drivers. Maybe you can try an older driver version like @ssj92 is with his M18xR2. There is a good chance you are having issues that are NVIDIA's fault with incompetent Kepler support and if that is the case the only fix might be to use ancient drivers that worked correctly before they screwed things up. That sucks six ways to Sunday, and it is why I sold all of my older Alienware laptops.

But, first make sure NVIDIA control panel is set up correctly. I will post some screen ahots later on when I have computer access. I am replying from my phone at the moment.

I do not think it is an Optimus problem as much as it is the kind of laptops that typically use Optimus, that has created the stigma associated with Optimus.

While you are waiting for screen shots and info from @ssj92 can you clarify what clock speeds you are seeing? How low do they go? Do they drop and stay there or constantly fluctuate erratically under load? Does the CPU do the same, or does it run at full turbo reliably and consistently?

Papusan and ssj92 like this.
  4. JoeT44

JoeT44 Guest

Reputations:
    Hi @Mr. Fox . Really nice laptop and I enjoyed your video. Congrats. Hope all is well with you and yours. Those settings you gave me really gave me a boost in my scores. Thank you Bro.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:

I guess I can reveal that I have the Gigabyte Aero 15 OLED. It has the i9 9980HK, 2080 MQ and 64GBs of RAM. I got it to video edit on the go and while it works for that, it runs like a furnace. Great video, very informative bro! I got to push myself to make them that aren't long tangents.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. amn3sia

amn3sia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They pretty much stay at 2D clocks so 324Mhz for both cores.

If I run render test it stays there when under normal behaviour it should hit 993 and 2500mhz.

The games perform the same. It stays at 324Mhz and Rivaturner repots 0 usage and activation which again confirms that the clocks stay locked to 2D activity.

I do not want older drivers as I already am on older drivers D: The whole purpose of this is to use the newest drivers because the support was dropped at 425.31 drivers.

I love my 880M otherwise because I have a custom bios for it and I can easily oc it 100/500 at 1020mV and its stable or have it at 975mV with 70/400 overclock stable. Its just the driver support that saddens me because some newer games run like absolute ass with older drivers.

7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Ha, you caught me out of left field with that question for a second, and then realised you're referring to what I say in my Sig about my 670MX in my M17xR3! I think the GPU died, but I can't be 100% sure. Occasionally it used to have issues when being powered on, if I remember rightly there used to occasionally be black screens and a series of bleeps - when that happened it would eventually fix itself by turning it on & off multiple times, removing the battery, unplugging & replugging the power cord, I can't remember the exact sequence that would bring it back and to be honest I'm not sure I ever knew the exact sequence that did! But anyway, it did that over the last year of it's life every so often, and it did seem to start sometime after upgrading to Windows 10, but don't know if that's a factor at all. The GPU temps were fine and during gaming it was under 65 degC even with my overvolt & overclock. It never had any degredation of the overclock over the life of the card, and I ran it overvolted & overclocked "to the max" like that since I bought it for over 3 years. One day it failed and wouldn't turn on with the GPU installed, I think it was the same beeps, or were there no beeps, I can't remember, I definitely couldn't get it to work again anyway. When I use that laptop occasionally now I just use it with iGPU of the 2920XM CPU I have in there (I've taken the 670MX out of the laptop).

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Replying to my own post with an update. I didn't really see any further increase in performance with BCLK/FCLK at 140Mhz vs the 110Mhz (all other clocks being equal). In fact I've plumped for a middle of road BCLK now at 120Mhz, but I've also decided to go back up to my previous 4.7Ghz overclock (I had been using at 4.6Ghz) - I keep cycling every once in a while between rock solid 4.6Ghz and not so rock solid 4.7Ghz! When I say rock solid I mean OCCT stable for 1 hour. In fact at 4.7Ghz and 1.39V I can't even test OCCT anymore because it triggers thermal throttling of the VRM's on the motherboard (in HWInfo IA VR Thermal Alert & RING VR Thermal Alert). I think my VRM's need re-padding or something. But, I don't really need to repad them because normal use sees a max of 90W from the CPU whereas OCCT draws 130 odd Watts! 4.7Ghz @1.39V is stable on Prime95 non-AVX and stable on an overnight infinite loop of x264 (which is AVX). Yeah, so gone back to my highest 4.7Ghz overclock now, but with the addition of a 20% overclock on FCLK, which does offer a very small bump to GPU performance (1% if you're lucky!). Update ended, many thanks!!

Oh, and here's a link to FCLK testing from a review site, they found as much!
    https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/74...-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index4.html

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Check your NVIDIA Control Panel settings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can use NVIDIA Inspector to change all of the settings on this page and save the changes to a nip file that you can import to save time later. (See zipped file attached.)

Yes, the driver support is very sad. I fear that you are doomed to using only super-duper crazy old drivers. Sad, but many 780M owners are in exactly the same boat. The only solutions to use antique drivers, get rid of it and buy something else, or just live with it being a sucky pile of crap. The Green Goblin really screwed the pooch... and they had puppies. Last good Kepler driver was 345.20 (released February 2015)... bastards.

Looks at these videos from my YouTube channel. Is that how your is behaving?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It could also be a cancerous BIOS update if you started having that issue after your last firmware change. it could also be some foolishness with Windows 10 "power management" feces. All of these stupid goons have developed some sort of disgusting retarded obsession with saving power. That sucks, but that's the world we live in. Tree-huggers galore.

Papusan and Rage Set like this.