*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I will probably see how it does with Phobya Nanogrease extreme. I can put liquid metal on it with a dam to keep it contained for travel if I need to. I'd rather not have to mess with it if it doesn't get too crazy hot. Yes, this is a pretty solid unit. Eluktroboost is kind of a not talked about tweak (hardware) because the Green Goblin doesn't support it and wouldn't approve of it. I set a -125mV undervolt in the BIOS as soon as I got it. The BIOS default is -50mV. It runs pretty warm, but expected considering the form factor. Not nearly as hot as the other turdbooks from what it seems though. The Alienware and Dell turdbooks seem to run much hotter.

Wow, that's just... wow. Nice job. DDR4-4500 CL18. Cray cray. Brother @Jaybee is going to have a bad case of envy about that. I'm not ashamed to admit I do, too. :D

2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    This is with Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and max fans. No thermal throttling, so that's good. Tightened up the memory timings and increased BIOS power limits. I will see if the stock memory can handle a higher frequency than 2666. Maybe try programming GSKILL 3000 XMP profiles with Thaiphoon Burner and see if it will still boot.
    https://hwbot.org/submission/4244524_
    CBR20-3220.JPG
    @B0B CBR20.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    jaybee83, Talon, Rage Set and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @Papusan - see any Dell/Alienware gamerboy turdbooks maxing out at 84°C in wPrime 1024m?
    32m.JPG 1024m.JPG

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Look how slow the second place 9750H laptop is running... really horrible.
    32m: https://hwbot.org/submission/4244546_
    1024m: https://hwbot.org/submission/4244547_

Rage Set, makina69 and Papusan like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Thats better.

Be happy you don't have Dell's Area-51m firmware. You would be stuck with 2400MHz:vbbiggrin:

7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, 29% faster than my desktop 6700K, can't be too bad! Was it PremaMod powered straight from the factory?

Is the hardware Eluktroboost function some kind of switchable shunt power type mod?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It's not bad considering what it is, and compared to the truly poorly executed alternatives that cost significantly more and run hotter.

No on the firmware, Brother @Prema got me sorted. There is minimal in terms of settings in the stock BIOS. Probably a little more than most with similar specs, but that is not saying much considering most laptop OEMs are Nazis when it comes to BIOS options. You can set a CPU undervolt and configure UEFI or Legacy BIOS and boot options, but that's the extent of it. It was working nicely with ThrottleStop, but there was no access to memory settings in the BIOS. There is a thread at WIN-RAID dedicated to BIOS mods on this Tongfang model as well. OverPowered TONGFANG CyberPower Machrevo MACHENIKE - Unlocked BIOS Guide W/ Files

With menus unlocked you have to be careful not to set the wrong video mode (same as the good old days with unlocked Alienware M18xR1/R2 BIOS). Because this is an Optimus/Hybrid graphics system with no mux option you cannot disable switchable graphics or you'll end up with no display output and will have to blindly navigate the BIOS to change it back. (Clearing CMOS does not reset that option, just as it did not on Alienware.) That thread linked above tells how to change the settings with no video output to see where you are going... also found it posted here.

Papusan, Rage Set, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I just imagined you unboxing it, turning it on...and when you went to go touch the keyboard, your hands erupting in flames with the theme to The Omen or Exorcist wailing in the background.:p:D

I've long found and accepted BGA has a place in the portable world. Like you, I would never drop the level of coin I would drop for a high end desktop CPU based model, but there is a bang:buck price point where it has value and merit.

Plus you have a new toy to tweak, poke and prod to see how much performance you can extract. :cool:

Convel and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I don't think I will ever get to the point that I can say I can like it, forgive it or fully accept it. My personal preference would be that it would have no place in the world of computing. But, I've been around long enough to know when stupidity is going to win and the writing is on the wall. BGA feces is just another example of the decline in human intelligence that will be a curse that endures for eternity. Made by idiots, for idiots. Since I needed a computer, I went with the best bang for the buck. It's actually more of a pop than a bang, but that's not how cliché expressions work, LOL. Paying big bucks for EOL systems that are going to be challenging to secure parts for is no different, at least in terms of end result, than buying disposable rubbish.

Raiderman and electrosoft like this.