*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Convel, Rage Set, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.
  2. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Convel, Rage Set, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.
  3. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Mr. Fox, Arrrrbol, Robbo99999 and 3 others like this.
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's a nice looking build, well done. That is a lot of CPU cooling you've got there with a 420mm radiator, pretty massive! I'm surprised that your CPU temperatures aren't a bit lower though, because you were at 67 degC for a 159W maximum CPU load. Like I mentioned and showed in my previous post I'm at 60 degC at 123W max load using my 'simple' Noctua NH-D14 air cooler, and that's with 4 core 6700K CPU that given my overclock has a higher heat density than your larger die 9900K (a variable that increases cooling difficulty). So, as a guesstimate, I reckon I'd be at the same temperatures with you if I were to wack your 9900K in my rig here. I showed my cooling results in my last post to blow the trumpet of air cooling, so that's why I wanted to compare it to your temperatures. What's your room temperature though, do you know? If you've got a very high room temperature then I can see that your water cooling setup is performing better than my air cooled setup.

I'll also add that my Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler is using the Low Noise Adapter to lower the rpm of the fans to silent levels, and I know if I remove the Low Noise Adapter (if removed it's the stock condition) I get about 5 degC better cooling performance; I've also not blown out the dust from cooler for at least 6 months - so my CPU temperatures could be over 5 degC lower than the figures I've shown (I've just opted for a completely silent CPU cooling configuration). (My case fans aren't silent when my PC is under load though - gentle hum at load).

By the way, I'm not saying here that good air cooling is better than good water cooling, because that would be rubbish - when you compare the best of both then water cooling wins! What I am saying though is that good air cooling can be as good and sometimes better than water cooling, and that a lot of it depends on individual build factors such as PC case choice & mods, configuration of fans/layout, choice of thermal paste and it's accuracy of application/mating.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  5. makina69

Reputations:
    a simple computer, when it passed the test it would have almost 24 ambient degrees, but keep in mind that each cpu is a different world ...

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We got about the same room temperature then, because I've got 23 degC room temperature and my idle CPU temperature reports 25 degC, and don't know if you're talking room temperature or CPU temperature there, but either way it makes our room temperatures to be about the same. Well, it does look like my Noctua NH-D14 in my setup is offering about the same cooling power as your water cooled setup there then. Yeah, there's factors in play such as your case and how you configure your radiator and fans, as well as the mating of the cooler to the CPU. With 420mm radiator water cooling I did expect lower temperatures from you though as that's a beefy setup, maybe there's some optimisation required somewhere along the lines in terms of case layout or fan configurations or how well the CPU cooler is attached to the CPU.

7. makina69

Reputations:
    very good is very much 1,370v vccio and 1,408 sa are the voltages that the plate puts in car ... dangerous

xmp 4400cl19

8. makina69

Reputations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice job, bro.

makina69 likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox