*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I doubt that distinction will be good enough. OCing is much smaller a community than gamers, which is a very small community of desktop. Intel is already doing the KS series, which is clocked all cores to 5GHz stock. Do you really think that chip, which is basically the same as the K/KF series is leaving headroom for some wondrous OCing? Doubtful. Instead, I have to agree with @jaybee83 on this one.

Later this year, we get Cascade-X on the same socket as Skylake-X, but still 14nm. Not sure there is much to be gained here.

Then Comet and Rocket are said to be 14nm, and Intel has said they are using 14nm through 2021. If true, they will not leave anything on the table vs AMD at 7nm+ node, then 5nm in 2021. TSMC also showed off a massive silicon interposer.

[​IMG]
    https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/tsmc-interposer-processor-hbm-moores-law-not-dead,news-61442.html

If AMD uses that with the N5P from TSMC, they can ditch IF and decrease latencies, which would put more pressure on Intel. So I'm not hopeful of Intel leaving room on the table for OCers moving forward.

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Yeah, there is no 10nm desktop planned next year. It is 14nm Rocket Lake, after Comet lake drops in Q4 or Q1 2020. As for 7nm, Intel needs to deliver IN 2021. If they do not, they are in a really really bad situation, including possibly dumping their fabs.

Intel 7nm will ALSO only be used for mobile, most likely, in 2021, not desktop. The slides from Intel show 14nm, 10nm, AND 7nm being used in 2021. That is when people suspect Intel moves its desktop chips to 10nm, which will NOT be enough. Intel moves to Ice Lake - SP chips allegedly in Q2 2020. We will see if they deliver that on time before bets can be placed on desktop 10nm chips at some point or if 7nm will be delivered.

As to AMD and what they are doing, take a look at the size of that silicon interposer TSMC is making (2400mm^2). If AMD moves to that at 5nm, they could put 16x8-core chiplets on it, move the I/O die to the interposer, along with logic routers (IF wouldn't be needed as the interposer replaces it for core chiplet comms, while over PHY, PCIe 5.0, CXL, and Gen Z will be ready for coherent connects), while being able to put 64GB of HBM2, 96GB of HBM2E, or some amount of HBM3 on the interposer as well, while using DDR5 (set for 2021) to keep the HBM fed.

The interposer alone, according to TSMC, can give a 7-10% performance boost (although they didn't give the comparison point).

You then have the performance uplift of the 5nm node shrink, plus the improvements in IPC for Zen 3 and Zen 4 to add to it.

Take it all together, I'm not sure AMD is sweating Intel's 7nm until Intel proves they can deliver, and even then, it won't be in Server until 2022 and possibly later than that for desktop.

jaybee83 and Rage Set like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Weird, I saw something recently where an NVidia representative (can't remember who), said that there was categorically not going to be a 2080ti Super. Don't know what to think, I don't think it's happening, I think that's it for NVidia cards until 7nm.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    With 2080 Super nearer 2080Ti, I expect Nvidia want a new Super card on top. This to be sure AMD still will be behind. A nice way to extend the time until 7nm is out. Milk on old is Gold:)

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    2080 super Ti and Nvidia RTX Titan King/Wizard should amp up NGreedia sales until Intel or AMD comes with a superior GPU that blows RTX out of the water.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well they need something, they can't claim "end of crypto sales boost return to normality" the next time they have heavy YoY drops in their financials, but super-iterative gains in niche high end SKUs that have no direct competition from AMD ain't it

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Most likely to stop Amd's coming Nvidia Killer. Then buy themself enough time to push out 7nm. No need for brand new chips before they need it. And Intel won't have a High end gaming card ready for 2020.

AMD Readies Navi 23 High-End ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU For Radeon RX Flagship, Arrives Next Year With Ray Tracing Support
    "It will be interesting if these options compete against the current king of the hill, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (SUPER:D) or whatever NVIDIA has to offer in 2020 (GeForce 30 Series?)"

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    At the max it'll 2080 Super Killer competitor but not Ti or Quadro.

9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ah, well I don't think NVidia would want to let AMD spend too long as king of the hill, so they gotta release something if 7nm wasn't ready any time soon after that, so maybe a 2080ti super after all, even though they said they wouldn't do it - we'll have to see.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i9 9900k 5ghz uncore 47

[​IMG]

ajc9988, Rage Set and Papusan like this.