*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, that about sums it up. I think AMD is only going to make it worse since neither their CPUs nor GPUs seem to be worth a damn at overclocking. Hopefully, that will change. Being powerful just isn't good enough. Makes me not want to buy anything at all. Just keep what I already have and find something else to do. Without the fun of overclocking, I have very little remaining interest in computers as a hobby. They become a mundane utility, like a screwdriver, electric drill or air compressor. Useful and necessary, but nothing to get excited about. It only needs to work when you need it to. The rest of the time it is out of sight, out of mind.

Papusan and Robbo99999 like this.
  2. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Find (or start) a FOSS project that interests you and hack on that. That's a hobby you can keep having fun with as you add new features, fix bugs, etc.

If performance is your thing (it's one of mine), the sky's the limit even if overclocking no longer does much. There are plenty of things out there whose performance is downright awful; if it's free/open source, you have the opportunity to bum the performance, and you'll get a lot more improvement than anything overclocking will accomplish. Way back in the first (well, first-and-a-half) Pentium days -- the 90 MHz P54C, IIRC -- I found a way to use the FPU to copy memory, yielding something like 80% increase in throughput (20 MB/sec => 36 MB/sec) and 10% overall system performance improvement compiling the Linux kernel. Had quite a bit of fun tweaking the exact load/store sequence to get the very best performance.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I like performance and would pay more to get more. Always have done that. However, when everyone gets the same thing that buys the same thing, and you can't overclock it to get more I'm done with it at that point. I'll save my money and buy some cheap piece of trash that I can toss into a dumpster when it craps out and go buy another one. No joy for me in belly button hardware or having a level playing field with no way to do what others can't do, won't do or don't know how to do in terms of overclocking. Meh.

I do like tweaking at a software level, but that's generally something I do to eek out a little more mojo (only takes 1 or 2 points to win or move up a notch on a leaderboard) only after I have overclocked the hardware to the edge of its functional limits. If that's the only thing left is software and firmware tweaking because the hardware doesn't cooperate, I don't think that I would bother with it. Definitely not an acceptable substitute. To me that is sort of like eating crumbs off the floor when there is a freshly baked loaf of bread in the pantry.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Papusan and Rage Set like this.
  4. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OCTT
    small packages

4,9ghz llc4 1,370v bios

[​IMG]

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    All depends on AMD next year. Nvidia won't change as long AMD doesn't want play the same game.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How do you mean, what do you see as the possible scenarios?

7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Easy. Both Intel and AMD fight over the mainstream GPU market while Nvidia releases another refresh on with a smaller die, which likely keeps them on top.

AMD will have a 2080 TI killer next year, so will Nvidia.

8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    If you see my original post, I posted some specific musings/wonderings over NVidia's next release, not generalisations on NVidia/AMD rivalries, so what you're saying is not the substance of my musings (mostly).......but yes.

I don't think anyone knows the answer to my wonderings other than NVidia, so I guess I wasn't really looking for answers, but those elements I mentioned are the ones I'm interested in, I'll be interested to read those product reviews when they come out and to see which decisions they have made (whenever the hell that is) - and then maybe I'll buy one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    Rage Set likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I doubt AMD will release a GPU that can compete with an overclocked GeForce GPU. I hope I am wrong because the decade-long trend of NVIDIA annihilating them needs to be broken, but overclocking doesn't seem to be something they understand or care about. They seem primarily focused on capturing mainstream gamers that want decent gaming performance at the lowest price possible and don't do any overclocking. If they do release a GPU that beats a stock 2080 Ti, but still doesn't overclock well, (like their current GPUs,) then they will have accomplished nothing that I view as valuable and it wouldn't be something I would waste any of my money on. But, we can and should hope they do. I know I hope so despite my skepticism that they will.

Rage Set likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    In terms of % performance gained by overclocking through the generations, where do we stand?

8600M GT - I got a 75% overclock on it (if I remember)
    Fermi GTX 560M - I got 22% overclock
    GTX 670MX with modified vBIOS I got 87% overclock
    GTX 1070 - I got 16% overclock over founders edition.

I can't really use those for comparison though because the first 3 are artificially gimped laptop cards, so there's more headroom available for overclocking if you had the cooling, or vBIOS mods to release the extra potential. I suppose you'd have to compare overclock potential of desktop cards through the generations. Either way my latest card is the one that's overclocked the least. Does your 2080ti overclock less than your GTX 1080ti, I don't think you've had other desktop cards right? I'm kind of expecting it to be a downwards trend in overclock headroom through the generations. It's a pity that monster cooling is not enough to guarantee a good overclock.

Mr. Fox likes this.