*Official* NBR Desktop Overclocker's Lounge [laptop owners welcome, too]

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by Mr. Fox, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, that's a good sign, but might be an idea to check some of the other things I mentioned in my post too (e.g. BIOS settings, HWInfo Sensors monitoring during testing).

2. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Long and Short Power is already set to max 4095

3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    How about all the other stuff I mentioned in my initial post. What about the Amp setting in the BIOS, might be called Current or something? What about monitoring with HWInfo Sensors for any "Throttle Reasons"? Try it all, see what you come up with.

4. TheDantee

Reputations:
    IDK if I have AMP Settings I'll get some pics

5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I just checked in my MSI Z170A BIOS and it's called "CPU Current Limit (A)". I set mine to 250. Voltage and Watts work together to create Amps, so I'm guessing that at whatever CPU voltage you're using and whatever Watts power consumption you're expecting of your CPU, you'd have to input those 2 values and make sure they were less than the Amps you set in the BIOS. My CPU is at just under 1.4V, so according to online calculators I'd need to put 350W through my CPU to reach 250A at 1.4V, so I just set the CPU Current Limit(A) in the BIOS to a ridiculously high figure - I mean you're controlling the max power draw allowed through your Power Limit variables in Watts (so it's not dangerous), so I think it's just about making sure you've configured at least enough Amps in your BIOS. I think. (don't know why they've created an AMP variable in the BIOS, seems unnecessary to me, you'd think they could just have Power Limits in Watts, and then the board would allow whatever Amps to reach that target, seems superfluous to me, but hey it doesn't matter.)

I mean it might not be that that's causing your low performance for your overclock, but it's just about making sure you're checking off all the bases, see my initial post to you, which included basically all my thoughts on it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  6. TheDantee

Reputations:
    Here's some pics in my BIOS nothing for max power [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 likes this.
  7. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I don't profess to know what all those settings do, but the ones I do know of I think you've set correctly, and your Current Limits seem fine - I don't really see anything that might cause a throttle, apart from you have MCE disabled, I would have that enabled, I mean I have the equivalent of that enabled with my CPU - I think it overrides the 'rules' associated with stock Intel CPU operation, in as much it will run all cores at the maximum stipulated frequency under any loading (regardless of the number of cores being at max load) provided the increased CPU power limits that you've set in your BIOS are not exceeded.

Run some demanding CPU benchmarks whilst you have HWInfo (Sensors) open, and graph CPU Frequency, Total CPU Percentage Usage, and CPU Package Power, so you can look back at the graphs after you've done your test runs - so you can see to make sure that CPU frequency is constantly stable, and what the CPU Package Power was throughout those runs. Also look at all the "Throttle Variables" that are shown in HWInfo (Sensors) - there are a lot of them for both the CPU and motherboard - and check that none of the limits have been tripped - they're described as "Yes" or "No" in HWInfo (Sensors). If they all say "No" (for both Min & Max), then that's a good sign, and you have not had any kind of throttling behaviour during your test runs. Once you've ruled out all that, then it's probably not a hardware issue, and instead some kind of a software issue - either the benchmarks you're choosing to run are not pushing the CPU to it's limits and therefore you don't see much of an improvement with an increased overclock, or some other software issue that is preventing full CPU performance.

TheDantee likes this.
  8. makina69

makina69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    all those bios settings go to something?

9. TheDantee

Reputations:
    MCE Enabled had definitely done soemthing as I'm thermal throttling the chip now will working on further lowering thermals and get back to this thread.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Robbo99999 likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Yeah, you'll have to fine tune your overclock with reduced voltage and/or reduced Mhz, or do something re cooling - and then check you're getting the scores you should for whatever overclock you end up with, check all that HWInfo stuff of course as you're tuning your overclock too, to make sure it's not misbehaving and throttling.

Rage Set likes this.